Chris-Ottawa

Best way to mount a GoPro for the rest of my AFF?

I just completed my 5th jump and now that I'm comfortable with jumping, I want to attach my GoPro's. I have 4 GoPro's that I want to attach in the following ways:

-2 on my helmet, one facing forward, one facing backward
-1 on my chest looking up
-1 on my ankle

Can anyone give me some advice on how to best mount them?

I'm not interested in heard all that BS about experience, risk, etc etc. I know what I'm doing and don't care who says I shouldn't. I also know that 200 jumps is just a suggestion, plus I'm very confident in my abilities. I've used my cell phone camera many times on the ground, and I won't get fixated as everyone seems to think.

Also, I just downsized from the Manta 288 to the Stiletto 150 I just bought. Can anyone tell me how to reline it with a Velocity lineset so I can get a better flare from it? I don't get a good flare because it's out of trim, and that's why I am having issues landing it. I might just buy a Velocity anywways since they have a better flare and when everyone else lands them it seems so easy.

Can anyone teach me how to swoop?

Before responding, please be aware that I'm just poking fun at the forums. I haven't seen a new noob camera thread, or a downsizing thread, or a swooping thread in a few hours, so I thought I'd fill the gap while we wait.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

On mounting gopros, I find that duct tape provides a nice secure mounting with little snag potential.

There is the added advantage, if you're careless, of covering the lens slot, so that you can claim perfect performance if it weren't for the camera malfunction.

One thing to consider on relining the Stiletto is that if you use elasticized lines, when you come out of your downward spiral you'll get a little extra lunge from the elastic, which means that you get better speed from the pendulum effect. Try it :)
Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I might just buy a Velocity anywways since they have a better flare and when everyone else lands them it seems so easy.

Who the fuck told you that a Stiletto was a good first canopy choice? Any jumper who knows anything would have suggested the Velo. Are you just too broke to afford a real parachute? If that's the case, maybe you should take up a cheaper sport, like bowling.

GoPro #1 should always be attached to your helmet, whilst you are wearing it with a 9" nail.

I don;t think that you should be wearing Stilettos when jumping , they are not appropriate footwear for the novice.

Please find you man card attached man card

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

I might just buy a Velocity anywways since they have a better flare and when everyone else lands them it seems so easy.

Who the fuck told you that a Stiletto was a good first canopy choice? Any jumper who knows anything would have suggested the Velo. Are you just too broke to afford a real parachute? If that's the case, maybe you should take up a cheaper sport, like bowling.

No, the Stiletto is perfect. It has a really short recovery arc, so he will be safer. It will pull itself out of the dive faster, so he is less likely to hit hard.

(And just for anyone dumb enough to follow any of the advice in this thread, this is satire)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

(And just for anyone dumb enough to follow any of the advice in this thread, this is satire)

God damn it. Only 5 jumps before someone ruined it.

Sad.

Sorry.

If it had been in the Bonfire, perhaps.

But there are idiots foolish enough to read this and not recognize it for what it is.

Sort of like how cigarette lighters have a warning label that reads: Warning - Contains flammable gas under pressure!!
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

A GoPro is nothing to mess around with, it's a camera for a skydiver that has achieved some advanced skill level and because they are expensive AFF students should NOT be attaching one anywhere on their person.

They do make less expensive cameras that are simple to use and require no special mountings...it's advisable that a n00ber stick with those until junior sky-god status is achieved~ see attachment.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

A GoPro is nothing to mess around with, it's a camera for a skydiver that has achieved some advanced skill level and because they are expensive AFF students should NOT be attaching one anywhere on their person.

They do make less expensive cameras that are simple to use and require no special mountings...it's advisable that a n00ber stick with those until junior sky-god status is achieved~ see attachment.

I think that you have this arse-about-face... the Skydiver(in-training) is being attached to the GoPro. And it his/her duty to protect said expensive equipment by the activation of the parachute (which he/she is also attached to).

Please don't come here offering advice if you do not even grasp the rudimentary facts of this once glorious, death defying sport..

I thank you

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

No, the Stiletto is perfect. It has a really short recovery arc, so he will be safer.

Safer? WTF? Are you really a skydiver? This comment makes me doubt that, cuz skydiving isn't about safety. The guy is going to look like a total fucking dweeb flying a big ass Stiletto 150. He's going to get so much shit from everybody for his massive container that he'll end up quitting the sport.

Seen it happen before.

I think you mean AssBackwards...B|

You can't even talk the talk Skippy, much less walk the walk! :S

You know zip minus about the sport, why don't you just duct tape yer GoPro to your rig and toss it out the plane...your remote opener will save the camera and you can stay home polishing the cane in the closet with your latex glove full of mint Crest watching pirate Girls Gone Wild vids!

That's why I never post in the forums...this place is full of wannabee pinheads.

:P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Yeah, it is a slow day here...cold weather means no jumping. It's actually quite funny to see the same thread pop up every couple days about swooping and downsizing, but more so...GoPro's. I actually laugh at the fact that some innocent noob asks a serious question, only to be laced by the dz.com group because it's so common.

It's quite the viscious, comedic circle of fun. DZ.com is pure entertainment in the off season. To be honest, it's probably just as, or more hilarious the rest of the season, but I'm on here much less due to jumping.

Now, back to the thread:
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Based on the discussion, my friend just sold me his Velo 84 and a tiny Micron. I ditched that honkin' Stiletto 150. I couldn't fit my PD-113 in the container though, so I got the new PD-Optimum 81. Now my rig is cool and tiny except it has pink pinstripes on it. Can anyone tell me if I can remove them and re-sew it myself? I bought a sewing machine from Sears on sale for $19.99. If not, can I use a black sharpie to black them out?

I've changed my mind about the GoPro's and bought several VHS camcorders as suggested above. Initially I thought they were quite heavy, but then I realized that it will help increase my wingload and make my landings better. I still used the GoPro's, but instead of wearing them, i attached them to various parts of the rig. I stuffed one in my reserve container to get my reserve ride after I chop the Velo 84. One is on my pilot chute handle and the other 2 were zip tied to those 2 handles on the front of my rig. I'm not sure what they're for, but in order to hold the cameras, I went right around the harness too. It seems pretty secure.

I'll be back later...I'm going to try and repack my reserve so I know what it looks like. Don't worry, I took pictures when I took it out so I can reverse the steps.

Thanks for your help, keep it coming!

Now my rig is cool and tiny except it has pink pinstripes on it. Can anyone tell me if I can remove them and re-sew it myself? I bought a sewing machine from Sears on sale for $19.99. If not, can I use a black sharpie to black them out?

Get with Shah, he can stitch that up with some fishing line for ya.

one post
"No, the Stiletto is perfect. It has a really short recovery arc, so he will be safer. It will pull itself out of the dive faster, so he is less likely to hit hard.
"

another post
"One thing to consider on relining the Stiletto is that if you use elasticized lines, when you come out of your downward spiral you'll get a little extra lunge from the elastic, which means that you get better speed from the pendulum effect. Try it "

Which is really better?
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Get with Shah, he can stitch that up with some fishing line for ya.

Like, get with Shah as in sleep with him? Wow, you skydivers really are crazy, but I have a few questions:

1) Where is the line up to "get with Shah"?
2) Is "Shah" male or female, cause I've never tested the waters if you catch my drift.
3) Should I tip afterwards?

#1 Narwhal mount
#2+3 Double GoPro 3D setup facing forward
(No need for anything facing back because real men don't care where they've been only where the're going)
#3+4 one facing right, and the other left, on the helmet. You have to be able to see your main and reserve side instructors' faces while they high five over your mad skilzz
#5 Right shoe facing up. So we can see your awesome track
#6 Left shoe facing forward so we can see the ground flying by as you swoop
#7 Sewn in the bottom skin of the main canopy facing down (U Da Man!!!)
#8 on the swoop gate
#9 in the swoop pond right above the surface of the water (they are waterproof right? and shock proof?)
#10 up your ass facing out so we can see 1) the pucker factor 2) the ground, at high speed 3) your head, because that is the last place it was seen

Canopy choice: Canni landed a 37. What are you? a pussy?
An RDS is not optional
Swoop pants and a custom T-shirt with "Swooper" on the front and "SkyGod" on the back

How to swoop: 1) make sure the pattern is full of people, preferably students with huge canopies and tandems. 2) do a right 270 followed by a left 270, start this maneuver at 500 feet or less. 3) You must blind man on every swoop while dragging one foot in the water, holding one foot in your hand and toggles in your teeth. 4) don't forget to have an ice cold stare for the camera.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

Maybe they aren't taking you seriously since you're from Canada.

:P Personal attacks like this should not be tolerated. I can't believe you even had the gall to mention this. For God’s sake, it's not like he's from Georgia or Florida or something! :o
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."