Namowal

Anyone lose weight after taking up skydiving?

I've been learning to skydive for about six months now, and I'm also about ten pounds lighter. At first I attributed the situation to nerves- for my first dozen or so jumps I was too nervous to eat much the day of the jump. Heck, even a day or so after the early jumps I had trouble eating.
Nowadays I'm less nervous and eat more normally, but I haven't regained the weight. Not sure if I'm burning more calories by hauling a parachute over my shoulder a few times a week or if I should see a doctor to make sure nothing's wrong.
Has this happened to anyone else?
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

Yes, I lost 60 pounds in my first year of skydiving. I was also too scared to eat and that's how I lost about 25 pounds. But once I got that far, I really focused on exercising and eating better. I know I'm an emotional eater, so I think once I found a passion that was making me happy, I forgot about eating my worries away.

That was 12 years ago. I did have some pounds creep back on a few years ago after a few injuries that sidelined my exercising, but I'm back to actually a 65 pound loss since my highest weight. Skydiving changed my life in many ways...and I also got a hot guy out of the deal. Yay!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I tend not to eat much during the jumping day either. It's not nerves - more that there are so many distractions, especially when I'm team training.

And there is more physical activity associated with the sport than you tend to realise - lugging the gear, climbing in and out of planes, getting on and off creepers, packing, walking dives, running out landings... ;)

I think you also spend time in the tunnel, no? That's a pretty good workout!

Just make sure before you order that close-fitting jumpsuit that you're not going to be putting those 10lb back on anytime soon. :)

Yeah, I've dropped about 30 pounds.

I was 235 before I took a vacation down to FL where my friend said we'd do a tandem and their max weight limit was 220, so I dropped 15 pounds in about a month.

Then after I did my tandem and realized I wanted to do AFF I kept dieting and working out. I'm down to 205 now and it seems to have leveled off. I could lose more but I don't want to diet anymore lol.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Thanks for the responses. I made the mistake(?) of googling "unexpected weight loss" and was returned a list of scary diseases associated with it.:o
Then I remembered that I didn't start losing weight until I started skydiving, so that might have something to do with it.

My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

all the money goes to skydiving which makes you only be able to buy ramen noodles, and you can only eat those so long!

Damn. Beat me to it.

:P
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Thanks for the responses. I made the mistake(?) of googling "unexpected weight loss" and was returned a list of scary diseases associated with it.:o
Then I remembered that I didn't start losing weight until I started skydiving, so that might have something to do with it.

If you're going to Google something... take a Google at "Endorphins and Weight Loss."
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

If you're going to Google something... take a Google at "Endorphins and Weight Loss."

http://calorielab.com/news/2005/11/19/sex-diet-promises-weight-loss-to-the-frisky/

:)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Shorty after getting my "A" license I bought a "zero P" canopy brand new. I lost several pounds learning how to pack it....B|

"There is an art, it says, or, rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."
Life, the Universe, and Everything

Yep!

I lost 40 pounds in the first two years after my first jump. Not through any diet, but the nervous, can't eat for the days that I was at the DZ, coupled with the added physicality of jumping ( the only packer I ever had was my rigger). This was not because I was a slug otherwise, I rode my bike 20 mi. a day because I did not have a car.

Oh, and the fact I couldn't afford to eat and jump, too! :P

It's not surprising that you have lost weight. I don't think it's at all surprising, or unusual. Let's face it, skydiving is empowering, and who needs to eat to feel good when you feel great about yourself?

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

nope, quite the opposite, i think i gained something like 40lbs at some stage.. getting down again a bit.

completely gave up on climbing, biking and skating once i got into jumping.. :S

my future plans for jumping will leave me to more exercise tough, read long hikes, taking up climbing again and stuff like that..

“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Thanks for the responses. I made the mistake(?) of googling "unexpected weight loss" and was returned a list of scary diseases associated with it.

Have you been eating less? Moving more? Those could be simple explanations to the weight loss. If the answers are no, then maybe you should pay a visit to your doctor to talk to him or her about it.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon