3mpire

DONATE BLOOD!

From the BPA's MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS TO PARACHUTE:

2.5. Blood Donors.

Sport parachutists are advised that parachuting and giving blood are not compatible. Whilst the quantity of blood is quickly replaced after donation, the necessary oxygen retaining qualities required at altitude are not.

I've never heard anything like this before. Is this fact? Who was it that said that the BPA is more about preventing skydiving?

(81 donations since I moved here.)
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Good point, I will sign up! I was compelled to look into it because Robin Roberts of Good Morning America needs a transplant and the show has been running stories about it. Lucky for her, her sister is a match. B|

She talked you into it!

Funny, I've known her for a year and a half, even just packed her reserve again, and she's never tried to talk me into it.

Guess she doesn't think so highly of me! :D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I used to donate 4 times per year, until I tested anemic. Further investigation showed my ferritin level to be down to 4, vs. minimum standard of about 16 - 30 depending on who you believe. 60 or more is a better minimum. Pretty much every test related to red blood cells was out of spec.

It took me 7 months of optimized iron supplements (take twice a day with vitamin C, take B12, don't take coffee tea or calcium within 2 hours before/after iron) to get my ferritin level up to 50.

Ferritin is the molecule where iron is stored. The hemoglobin level doesn't drop until the storage is getting pretty depleted, but there are other results from low ferritin, such as hair loss in some people.

If you are donating more than about once a year, you should be getting a lot of iron in your meat diet (veggie sources are poorly absorbed unless ingested along with meat source), taking supplements, or getting your ferritin tested once in a while.

Donating one pint of blood takes about 250mg of iron away. You only absorb maybe 10% of supplements, so 2500mg should be taken to replenish, along with vitamin C and B12. This is about 5 weeks, with once a day of 325mg Ferrous Sulfate (yield 65mg iron each, absorbing about 7mg).

I'm a regular apherisis donor...
...It takes a bit more time to donate platelets verses whole blood...

I've done this a few times too, and would be doing it more often if I wasn't turned away for low iron levels (not sure how this affects platelets but they still sent me away). It takes a bit longer, but it's super easy. And the places I've been to let you either watch tv or a movie during the process. B|
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

I donated blood one time... and it fucked me up for 2 months. Felt lethargic and tired the whole 2 months. I haven't had a desire to go through that again. [:/]

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Congrats mate.
Good on ya.
B|

Oddly enough they had no such qualms taking my sperm:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r: Well not the "Red Cross" of course:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

36 blood donations so far, marrow donor card, organ donor card.

Good thing (I think not only here) is your blood donor card is also an "accident and emergency aid pass" - means, it provides information about your blood group (and subgroups) and an emergency contact address.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

From the BPA's MEDICAL REQUIREMENTS TO PARACHUTE:

2.5. Blood Donors.

Sport parachutists are advised that parachuting and giving blood are not compatible. Whilst the quantity of blood is quickly replaced after donation, the necessary oxygen retaining qualities required at altitude are not.

I bet they intend to say that donating blood within a 48-hour period before skydiving is not advisable? A general "either-or" statement wouldn't make any sense.

But another statement also sounds odd to me - donating allowed only every 6 months in the UK? It's 6 weeks here (for men) Seems the British authorities are very, very, very caretaking and overly timid^Tapprehensive B|

PS&BTW: I always ask tandem students if they have donated blood within a 48-hour period before, just to be on the safe side...

Lucky for her, her sister is a match.

Actually, unlucky for her, her sister in not a match. She is an "almost perfect match" (quoting what the media says) which is not good at all. The sister is likely at least an 8/10 but probably a 9/10. That may sound good, and the media is hyping it up to make it sound great, but trust me, it's not. She is going to have a much rougher course and a significant longer recovery to a process that is already a nightmare. The mortality rates are significantly much higher with unmatched donors.

It is MUCH better to have a MUD (matched unrelated donor) than a MMRD (mis-matched related donor), which is unfortunately not the case here. She likely couldn't find a matched donor. Which is why you should donate!!

Aw, man, what a bummer. I really like her (I even did a segment with her on the show!). I will sign up!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I faint at bloodtests [:/]

At blood tests? So the amount of blood doesn't account for the fainting. Looking in another direction doesn't help? Just being curious.

Never had a problem with it. I usually donate on Thursday and jump on Friday. And I smoke too.

2.5. Blood Donors.

Keith

''Always do sober what you said you would do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.'' - Ernest Hemingway

I donated blood today, did you?

If you have never thought about doing it, you might want to give it a try. It is very easy, and each donation can help save up to three lives.

I have a seven week old baby at home, and the only reason he is here is because of blood donors. it's an amazing gift you can give!

plus, it can't hurt from a karma perspective. if god forbid any of us pound in and need transfusions to survive, it will be because of a donor.

so pay it forward! get motivated! :)

Some years ago, my doc asked me to do that - I am 0-.

Donating every 3 months and feeling great B|.

Registered bone marrow donor, organ donor - every healthy creature walking on 2 legs should do it.

:)

dudeist skydiver # 3105