skymama

So, you're at a cookout

Whats a cookout???

it's what we call a BBQ,
Yank BBQ is a bit different

For the brits it is a piss up:P
That's because every time they go outside for a BBQ it's raining:D:D:D:D
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Whats a cookout???

Is that a serious question?

If so, it's a party where generally the host provides the meat (burgers, dogs, chicken, or steak), and grills it outside. All the guests bring a side dish and or desert. The entire party usually takes place outside usually in the back yard. All the food that people bring is usually set up on long tables which is why there are comments about the food sitting out too long to be consumed. Smart hosts set up trays with ice in them to place the bowls of potato salad etc...

There are usually plenty of libations to go around, the host usually provides a base of beer, wine etc.. and the guests usually bring some, too.

This is the basic set-up, but there are lots of variations. :)
eta: Doesn't the UK have the equivalent kind of party? What's it called?

Thanks, yes it was a serious question. Over here we call it either a Bar B Q or if you're in a South African area a Brai. We do it a bit different, mostly the host supplies the rabbit food and the guests bring meat & drinks (unless asked to bring something else).
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

Whats a cookout???

it's what we call a BBQ,

How so?
When an author is too meticulous about his style, you may presume that his mind is frivolous and his content flimsy.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

England, BBQ, South Africa - Braai, host does the fire, tables etc, and normally (at least me) some of the meat - the brits normally do cheap sausages and hamburger patties (yuck) so I supply meat ( steak, chops (lamb and pork), chicken, ribs, good sausages) or sometimes fresh sea-fish, the ladies to bring various salads and the blokes a bottle or two. I do list what salads / drinks as I dont want everyone bringing lots of potatoe salad and nothing else! Always do it on a wood fire (will use lumpwood charcoal if nothing else) and always have a lot of people, music and good times! The art of braai means that I will always do the cooking at these events - even f I am a guest - the brits cannot bbq at all - the meat will be burnt outside and raw inside! Really not good at all!

I concur, Brits BBQ usually means black on the outside and pink or bloody in the middle. I learnt to Braai in SA and also always do the cooking regardless.
Lucius Annaeus Seneca

If one is going to grill anything out doors, it better not just be some sausage or patties.

Any real braai will contain steak, chicken, sausage (wors), lamb chops and perhaps some kebabs. The 1kg Texan steaks are the best on a braai, and rare or medium-rare is the only way to cook a steak.

As for the salads, I'm a sucker for both potato salad and any pasta salad. '3 bean salad' is also often a good addition.

Do you also like vegamite?
;)

Vegemite is AWESOMEB|B|B| Albeit it is an acquired taste ::D:D:D:D

B|Vegemite is disgusting!

The only thing it's good for is getting a hot Aussie to lick it off your fingers. :P:)

We'll lick it off of more than just your fingers;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Whats a cookout???

it's what we call a BBQ,

How so?

US BBQ (well, actually, mostly in the South) is slow cooked meat (traditionally whole pig) over low heat.

What you call a BBQ, they would call a grill, or grilling.
Remster

Huhu... I bet most Aussies can fake one or two Pommie dialects without a problem whilst most Pommies should fail to speak Strine, huh?
The Seekers, for example, were believed to be Brits by quite a number of people (they made a remark on their farewell concert in 1968)

Just like in Germany - I haven't met anyone from West Germany who could fake the dialect/accent of Middle Saxony :P OK, we are Ossis, not Aussies, but some of the Wessies still consider us "the Colonials" B|:D:D:D

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

BBQ and grilling, while typically performed on the same cooking device type, is vastly different.

Grilling does not involve BBQ sauce. When it does, PLEASE only the last few minutes. I hate the bitter taste of burnt BBQ sauce. It does NOT cook, it warms.

If one is going to grill anything out doors, it better not just be some sausage or patties.

Any real braai will contain steak, chicken, sausage (wors), lamb chops and perhaps some kebabs. The 1kg Texan steaks are the best on a braai, and rare or medium-rare is the only way to cook a steak.

As for the salads, I'm a sucker for both potato salad and any pasta salad. '3 bean salad' is also often a good addition.

Right on. :)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I concur, Brits BBQ usually means black on the outside and pink or bloody in the middle. I learnt to Braai in SA and also always do the cooking regardless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq2SOmwzjUU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Here is the proper way to braai.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

BBQ and grilling, while typically performed on the same cooking device type, is vastly different.

Grilling does not involve BBQ sauce. When it does, PLEASE only the last few minutes. I hate the bitter taste of burnt BBQ sauce. It does NOT cook, it warms.

I have a basic propane grill for cooking steaks, burgers, chops, even chicken down on low heat.

But my best food comes from our propane smoker. B|B| I've done turkeys, chickens, prime ribs and much more, using cherry, apple, alder and hickory chips for smoke. I usually keep it below 210 degrees F. I often smoke the meats for 2-3 hours, then move them to the indoor oven to finish. This Sunday I have about 20 pounds of pork ribs, 8 pounds of beef ribs and 2 chickens going into the smoker. It'll take about 7-8 to get the ribs pull-off-the-bone perfect, but it'll be worth every second. :)
You're absolutely right about commercial barbecue sauces that contain a lot of sugar. They should go one only at the end of cooking and at the very lowest heat. Otherwise they burn black and taste gross. Except for searing steaks and chops, most things should be grilled lower and slower than most people do. BTW, searing meat does NOT "seal in the juices". Ask any burn surgeon. What it does do is add all those wonderful flavors to your steak. :)
Oh yeah, original question. I usually bring potato salad, home made if we have the time. I go lighter on the mayo and heavier on the herbs than the store bought stuff. My favorite side dish, though, is the baked beans or anything wrapped in bacon. :D

I voted potato salad but i like ones without mayo. My ex mother in law used to make a potato salad with cubed red potatoes, fresh string beans and cherry tomatoes sliced in half with oil and red whine vinegar that was yummy . I always worry about any mayo based dishes at cook outs. Drunk people and possibly spoiled mayo dishes makes for a shitty ending to a party (Pun intended):S

Wait , I pull what first?

Of the choices given: pasta salad, but not mayo-based. A nice light oil/vinegar, just enough to keep the pasta from sticking together.

While I'll also put in a virtual vote for the raw veggies, I'm surprised no one has mentioned 7-layer dip! Love that. :)

See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!