sd-slider

Leg Straps - Snap-On or Fixed?

Any suggestions as to the "best" or "ideal" configuration for leg straps? I'm a big guy (6'1" - 240) and was curious as to strength, safety, etc. of each configuration. I've seen the "click" type and jumped with the standard adjustable

By the way, I'm still a student.

:o
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

Any suggestions as to the "best" or "ideal" configuration for leg straps? I'm a big guy (6'1" - 240) and was curious as to strength, safety, etc. of each configuration. I've seen the "click" type and jumped with the standard adjustable

Either will work....Either are safe.

B-12's (the clicky type) are not used that much on sport rigs. Tandem rigs still use clips, and they work fine.

Given a choice I'd go step through.

Less failure points.

But I have jumped both.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I'm about your same size, and I just went through this decision while ordering a rig this summer. I like B-12 snaps 'cause they're easy to put on quickly.

Unfortunately, I found that they were in an odd spot on most recently manufactured Mirage G-3's that I checked out before ordering. Seems that Mirage keeps them closer to the main lift web than I like, and a custom length was pretty expensive compared to the benefits. I understand their reluctance to change manufacturing standards for this item, but they wind up in an uncomfortable spot, plus they're prone to pressure in a direction that wants to open the snap closure on someone my size.

Bottom line for me was to opt for hip rings instead, going for better overall comfort and fit. You might have better luck with another manufacturer for B-12's, but I really like what I ended up with. Hope this helps.

Lance

Most manufacturers won't build a B-12 rig with articulation.

The B-12's are prone to wear if not taken care of. (Banging on the ground when the rig is removed.)

Resale is lower for a B-12 rig.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I'm 48 and about 200 lbs naked. Not as flexible as I once was.

I like my B-12 snaps as it is just that must easier to get the rig on and off.

That said, I have friends with the same age and weight and they have step-in rigs and manage quite fine.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

I personally think the fixed straps are the worst invention or modification that has ever been dumped on skydivers.

Absolutely the most stupid thing ever. The only people who like them are those who have never tried anything else.

The adjustable leg straps with the quick ejector snaps are by far the best.

I am 6'-2"as well, and 185 pds.
Bill Cole D-41

I have one rig with b-12's and one without. I find the b-12's to be a bit bulky but not too bad. I recently ordered a new micron with step thru's. For me they are simply more comfortable.

On another note, I have a very good friend in Arkansas that had a small collision in the air. Nothing to serious except that she was hit in the vicinity of her b-12 and it came undone. Scary stuff. She ended up having to deploy with it unsnapped. More scary. I thank god she is still alive. It was a Mirage harness by the way.

It all boils down to your personal preference. Good luck.

Blues,

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

I personally think the fixed straps are the worst invention or modification that has ever been dumped on skydivers.

This statement cannot be argued with because it is just an assertion of your opinion.

Absolutely the most stupid thing ever. The only people who like them are those who have never tried anything else.

This assertion, however, is very wrong. The vast majority of jumpers that started with B-12s have chosen to have step throughs on their newer rigs.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Athe "best" or "ideal" configuration for leg straps?

I like B-12 snaps:
- Convenience when donning gear - none of those pretzel gymnastics trying to get legs through small loops.
- It could save your life when you need a quick release in a water landing.
- It could win you the hit 'n rock competition at a POPS meet.

Personal choice. Try both before you buy your first rig, to see what you like.

Choose for your self. Try donning your gear without undoing the leg straps. Then without. What is better for YOU.

B-12 Pros: Easier to get into and out of.
B-12 Cons: More maintenance as snap can jam or fail; easier to get a twisted leg strap.

Thread Through Pros: Easier maintenance with one less failure point.
Thread Through Cons: Different approach to putting gear on. Slightly more wear on the webbing.

Either way you decide. Remember that proper gear maintenance is a must.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I personally think the fixed straps are the worst invention

The adjustable leg straps with the quick ejector snaps

You may have a mis-understanding here. Leg straps without quick ejectors (or B-12's, there is a difference) are still adjustable.

I would also question your frame of refrence in forming this opinion. What is your experience with gear manufactured in the last ten years? How many custom fitted rigs have you jumped in that time period?

I ordered B-12's on my new rig last year. I liked them as a student and I've liked them ever since.
They just make getting in and out of the rig a lot easier.
I've heard some folks say that they snaps dig into their hips in the plane.
I've never noticed anything like that.

I'm also a big guy and there is no problem with strength.
They aint gonna break B|

I like em. I'm keepin em.
__

My mighty steed

like my B-12 snaps as it is just that must easier to get the rig on and off.

I am also not very flexible. Well, at least whne it comes to this. I cannot bend my leg to get the second strap on when the other is already on. My solution though is simple: step into both the legstraps while the rig is on the ground. No flexibility required.

That said, I prefer the thread-thru's
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

If the leg straps are a little long, it makes the getting your legs through a lot easier.

Also, just grab onto something for 3 seconds so you don't fall over, and have the rig down at your elbow joint when you do it, not on your shoulders.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

The donning while standing up seems to be a style thing, like the old NAUI method of putting on a scuba rig (over the top).

What's wrong with stepping into the straps while it's on a bench? Easier on lots of joints, no slower. I've been shamed into the typical method, wish I didn't have such big grippers on my legs. I have to have the rig (rental until I get my Smart) leg straps fully loose just to do it. It seems like an easy, and truly lame way to tear ligaments in the knee.

Does any manufacturer offer quick ejector option???

It's a military thing, that may have made it's way to some early sport rigs. I've only delt with them on pilot bailout rigs, and some T-10 rounds on a cloudy day. They may still be used on new pilot rigs, I'm not sure.

That was sort of my point, that the poster is a little out of touch with the euqipment side of things, and that his opinion is effected as such.

It's a military thing, that may have made it's way to some early sport rigs. I've only delt with them on pilot bailout rigs, and some T-10 rounds on a cloudy day. They may still be used on new pilot rigs, I'm not sure.

That was sort of my point, that the poster is a little out of touch with the euqipment side of things, and that his opinion is effected as such.

The friction adapter used on step through rigs are also a military thing. The pin on your reserve ripcord is a military thing. Does that make them any less viable? Does having a different opinion on a component make someone "out of touch?" The only hardware on a modern sports rig that did not come from the military is the 3-ring setup and the curved pin.

B-12 and quick ejects are rated at the same 2,500 pounds as a friction adapter.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The only people who like them are those who have never tried anything else.

I've been around the sport for some time now and used the adjustable leg straps with the ejector snaps, and I love my step ins. I guess being a flexible female has some advantage;)
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

[Quick-ejects] may still be used on new pilot rigs...

Most manufacturers offer B-12, quick-eject or step-in. If you had to use your round emergency parachute on a windy day, you'd be grateful for quick-ejects as long as you remembered to undo your chest strap first.

Mark

In the olden days everyone had b-12 snaps on their rigs. I never heard of one failing, but I suppose it is possible. None of us took any special care with them either, and they seemed to work just fine.

When I ordered a knew super-pro harness and container, in about 74, it came with quick ejector hardware. I loved that set up.

When I started jumping again, after about 25 years off, most everyone had the new step through harnesses. With these I had a devil of a time getting my rig on without looking like a complete spastic. One time I went hopping half way across the packing area at Perris with my leg caught. I'm sure everyone was wondering about the new old hick that had just rolled into town.

Now that I'm used to the step through harness, I like them. I have the step through leg straps on both my rigs. I asked someone one day what happened to the old quick ejector hardware. One old timer said, "Good riddance to old junk!"

I ended up with the impression that maybe they aren't all that safe. I never had a bit of trouble with mine though.....Steve1

I know Strong Ent. does..

I have rigs with both QE's & B12's

Personally I wouldn't own a rig with a step through.

...personal choice because of the type of jumping I do.

Quick note;
I too have heard several 'instances' where B12's
were supposed to have either failed or opened prematurely.

The ones I followed up on were either erroneous reports,
or blame was placed on the snap...but the 'problem'
could not be recreated on the ground.
(operator error?)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've had rigs with B-12s and quick ejectors but have had step-ins for ~23 years now and wouldn't have anything else.

My reasons....If I never undo the stepins I can't do them up wrong. I also can't have a B12/QE open on me or forget to do one up....although the chances of one opening appear low from the previous posts I would just as soon eliminate the possibility. I also hate getting nailed with the free end on the ankle when they haven't been done up again after taking the rig off....a favourite student trick.;)

B12's and QE's also make the rig a bit heavier. Threadthru hardware is somewhat lighter.
--
Murray

"No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets." - Edward Abbey