Phillbo

Peeves ...

I needed to bear right and the car in front of me wouldn't move up even though there was room to let me by. I had to wait for the light to change. Are people that oblivious?

Many drivers like to leave space in between cars; if they get rear-ended and pushed into the car in front on them, they are the ones who are going to be charged with the damage to the car in front.

Really? When I was rear ended by a truck, leading to the next 4 cars up the line line being shunted in turn, only the truck driver got a ticket and his company's insurance paid for all the damage to 5 cars.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Really? When I was rear ended by a truck, leading to the next 4 cars up the line line being shunted in turn, only the truck driver got a ticket and his company's insurance paid for all the damage to 5 cars.

I believe it's different per state.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I needed to bear right and the car in front of me wouldn't move up even though there was room to let me by. I had to wait for the light to change. Are people that oblivious?

Many drivers like to leave space in between cars; if they get rear-ended and pushed into the car in front on them, they are the ones who are going to be charged with the damage to the car in front.

Also useful if you want to change lanes, you don't need to wait for them to move. ;)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

It takes somewhere between 1/50 and 1/100 of a gallon of gas to accelerate a typical car from rest to 30mph. Roughly a nickel's worth. Unless you have a hybrid, all that energy is lost every time you brake to a stop.

Now consider how many times you have been stopped by a traffic light when there was no cross traffic, just because the light was unprogrammed, poorly programmed, or on a simple timer. Now multiply that by the number of cars in your city and the waste becomes considerable. Then consider that every gallon of gas burned produces about 20 pounds of CO2 to pollute the atmosphere.

I estimate that in the Chicago metropolitan area we produce about 500 tons of CO2 every day just on account of unnecessary traffic light stops.

Are people that oblivious?

Generally yes they are. In their isolation bubbles music blaring, texting, doing make up/hair talking on phones and generally ignoring the fact that they are in charge of a lethal weapon:S
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

It takes somewhere between 1/50 and 1/100 of a gallon of gas to accelerate a typical car from rest to 30mph. Roughly a nickel's worth. Unless you have a hybrid, all that energy is lost every time you brake to a stop.

Now consider how many times you have been stopped by a traffic light when there was no cross traffic, just because the light was unprogrammed, poorly programmed, or on a simple timer. Now multiply that by the number of cars in your city and the waste becomes considerable. Then consider that every gallon of gas burned produces about 20 pounds of CO2 to pollute the atmosphere.

I estimate that in the Chicago metropolitan area we produce about 500 tons of CO2 every day just on account of unnecessary traffic light stops.

What would you propose as an alternative to traffic signals? Most places I've lived have had intersections that would be nearly impossible to navigate if the signal was removed, but were otherwise left as is. That certainly doesn't mean that the traffic signal is the best solution to the problem, though.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

What would you propose as an alternative to traffic signals? Most places I've lived have had intersections that would be nearly impossible to navigate if the signal was removed, but were otherwise left as is. That certainly doesn't mean that the traffic signal is the best solution to the problem, though.

Roundabouts. You can see in advance whether you need to slow down or stop.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

the trouble with round-abouts is that vehicle driving morons dont know how to use them. With traffic lights at least it plays to their BASE nature ..[GRUNT] RED MEANS STOP[/grunt]
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Roundabouts.

+1
Advantages:
- Move more traffic than traffic signals.
- Result in a fewer traffic accidents.
- The accidents that do occur have a smaller percentage of fatalities.
- Save motorist's time.
- Save fuel.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

the trouble with round-abouts is that vehicle driving morons dont know how to use them. With traffic lights at least it plays to their BASE nature ..[GRUNT] RED MEANS STOP[/grunt]

There are an increasing number of roundabouts in my area, and even the dumb 'Merkuns here have pretty much figured them out.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Funny then, that the accident rate AND congestion go down when roundabouts replace traffic lights.

+2

They'd also require significant imminent domain in order to retrofit into most cities. That's never going to happen.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I read an interesting idea about traffic lights...it was basically asking the question why do we need a green traffic signal. All we need is a red one, to tell us when to stop....Removing all the green traffic lights on a world wide basis would save an awful lot of energy. If you think about it, it is probably a sound idea.

Then consider that every gallon of gas burned produces about 20 pounds of CO2 to pollute the atmosphere.

I wonder if you could explain how that figure is calculated.

Considering the weight of a gallon of gas in its liquid form,(about 6 pounds) I cannot see how burning it would produce a weight in gas that appears to be 13 pounds more than that. It doesn't make any sense to me.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

My guess is he's taking into consideration the carbon cost of getting it from crude oil in the ground, pumped out, transported, refined and transported again to your pump.

If you thought there was no cost associated with that, then you've overlooked a basic problem with the fuel industry in general.
quade -

They'd also require significant imminent domain in order to retrofit into most cities. That's never going to happen.

Nope. London solved that problem many years ago.

I read an interesting idea about traffic lights...it was basically asking the question why do we need a green traffic signal. All we need is a red one, to tell us when to stop....Removing all the green traffic lights on a world wide basis would save an awful lot of energy. If you think about it, it is probably a sound idea.

Then consider that every gallon of gas burned produces about 20 pounds of CO2 to pollute the atmosphere.

I wonder if you could explain how that figure is calculated.

Considering the weight of a gallon of gas in its liquid form,(about 6 pounds) I cannot see how burning it would produce a weight in gas that appears to be 13 pounds more than that. It doesn't make any sense to me.

Because CO2 has a molecular mass of 44 versus 12 for carbon.

C = 12
O = 16

12 + 2(16) = 44

Nope. London solved that problem many years ago.

London, is not the US.

While some folks in London might be willing to give up a corner of their property to accommodate, I think you'd find riots breaking out in the US.
quade -

In the NY City subway, the people who wait until they're at the turnstile entrance to reach into their purse/pocket and find their swipe pass.

ugh that's the university here with the buses. You need to have your ID to ride. and they know this! and yet no ID out. oi vey.

Also people who go to appointments without their ID or insurance card. What the people are supposed to magically know you are who you say are and what your insurance is :S

Also people who go to appointments without their ID or insurance card. What the people are supposed to magically know you are who you say are and what your insurance is :S

Half the time I walk into the PT office I just say Hi and they say have a seat, they will be right out. :P