CarpeDiem3

Airline CEO: 'Seatbelts 'don't matter'

Quote: "Michael O'Leary is the CEO of Ryanair... In a recent interview with the London Daily Telegraph... "If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seatbelt won't save you. Seatbelts don't matter." said O'Leary. "You don't need a seatbelt on the London Underground. You don't need a seatbelt on trains which are traveling at 120 mph, and if they crash you're all dead… The problem with aviation is that, for 50 years, it's been populated by people who think it's this wondrous experience... when really it's just a bloody bus with wings."

http://www.fox19.com/story/20070682/airline-ceo-seatbelts-dont-matter-advocates-planes-with-standing-room-only

So, I guess we don't need no steenkin seatbelts in our jump planes any more. Just a waste of time!

I'm not sure that's what he was saying. And if it was, he is wrong. Planes sometimes hit pockets of air that cause them to drop rapidly. When that happens, passengers can get tossed around and hurt pretty badly if they aren't wearing seatbelts. If the plane goes nose first into the asphalt, seatbelts are useless. But there are lots of other things that can happen.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

This is the same guy that said he was going to charge people to take a piss on a plane. Honestly I think he just does it for publicity, and it works. Not that it's right but if he wanted to do this he would need to totally seperate the standing galley. I'm fine with people jeopardizing their own life but I don't want them flying all over the cabin were I would be seated.

So, I guess we don't need no steenkin seatbelts in our jump planes any more. Just a waste of time!

I think if there were a sarcasm font you would have used it there, right?

We learned in April 1992 that seatbelts are definately necessary in skydiving aircraft.

As for commercial aircraft, I think it's a safe bet that seatbelts are useless in high-speed crashes, but are probably very useful in turbulence and bumps, as mentioned above, and low-speed collisions, such as running off a runway.

Just my .02
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

I'm not sure that's what he was saying.

It was. O'Leary is a grade A money grubbing cunt.

Except, of course, skydiving planes have a nasty tendency to crash. If airliners went down as often as DZ aircraft then you'd have 747's in the ocean every other day*.

* Disclaimer: Not a real statistic
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I'm not sure that's what he was saying.

What O'leary is saying is another load off guff purely designed to get some free newspaper coverage. He says random inflammatory bollocks like this all the time just so people don't forget he exists.

Unfortunately.

Quote: "Michael O'Leary is the CEO of Ryanair... In a recent interview with the London Daily Telegraph... "If there ever was a crash on an aircraft, God forbid, a seatbelt won't save you. Seatbelts don't matter." said O'Leary. "You don't need a seatbelt on the London Underground. You don't need a seatbelt on trains which are traveling at 120 mph, and if they crash you're all dead… The problem with aviation is that, for 50 years, it's been populated by people who think it's this wondrous experience... when really it's just a bloody bus with wings."

What a gobshite!

>So, I guess we don't need no steenkin seatbelts in our jump planes any more.

We need them even more. An inflight upset won't cause all the people in a 747 to tumble into the tail.

I work as a flight paramedic. We were on a leg of a flight landing in houston to pick up a patient (i think it was houston) well anyway were flying in a king air 200. Since we had no patient i was stretched out on the stretcher and my nurse partner was on the crew bench, both of us half asleep since we'd been in the air pretty much all day. (Busy day) well anyhoo, all of a sudden the plane probably dropped 100 feet in the air. We both literally bounced offthe ceiling of the plane and onto the ground her landing on top of me. Bout that time the pilot looks back and says "it might get a tad bumpy....haha". Needless to say it could have been a bad situation had we had a patient. Neither of us where hurt but we both did learn why planes have belts. Lol.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

What he is probably saying is that he is trying to work out a way to charge you a fee for the seatbelt...

:D:D Bingo! We have a winner. B|

+1 :D
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

We both literally bounced off the ceiling of the plane and onto the ground her landing on top of me.

Continue THIS part of the story.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

howd i know you of all people were going to be the one to ask that, HAHA :D

sadly all i got was a knee in the ribs. :(

Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.