Krip

Twinkee's

I drove by one of their plants on the way down to the wind tunnel yesterday. The feeling I had was that once upon a time, someone at the top was very proud of the place. Somewhere along the way, it feels like the corporate executives stopped being so proud of their products and started caring only about two numbers; their salary and growth figures for the shareholders. I don't know if it's possible to make great things if you don't take pride in your work and the things that you built.

But enough social commentary and nostalgia. You know, conceptually, Twinkies are not difficult. Oh, it might be tricky to replicate the bland spongy texture of the cake (or Wonder bread,) or the sickly sweet filling, but I bet just about anyone with any baking experience could do a bite-sized sponge or pound cake, fill it with real whipped cream (And no product that has a 'K' anywhere in its name) and produce a damn fine snack. They probably couldn't do it as cheaply as Hostess did, since a few cents of space-age polymers will always cost less than real ingredients.

Get the sense I'm a bit lukewarm on Twinkies? I can't rightly say when the last one I ever ate was, but it wasn't recently. Though I will say that I ran across a recipe for battered, deep fried Twinkies that sounded somewhat interesting...

Keep in mind that there were thousands of people involved in their production. I wouldn't be surprised to see the more popular products pop up soon. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Kraft or General Mills purchased the brand at the liquidation sale.

I wonder who will sponsor the various Peanuts holiday specials now. I also can't recall the last time I sat down for one of those.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

The Brand has some value, maybe we could start a twinkee futures mkt in case a investor decides to start producing again.

I don't know who owns the name, but yes, I bet there is still a market for those. Some bakery could set up a line for those, maybe call them "Winkies" or "Twinkle Cakes".

Personally, I haven't had a twinkie or ding dong in decades. However, I am a fool for Grandma's Fudge Chocolate Chip cookies in the vending machine at work. :D

Anyone got some I can borrow:ph34r:

The Brand has some value, maybe we could start a twinkee futures mkt in case a investor decides to start producing again.

Ebay is going :S over twinkee's.:o

I couldn't believe it when I passed the Hostess section at the market and found it had been raided. I was thought "For ^! sake, these are $%@ing Twinkies and Ding Dongs! They're not that good! You could get something taster at the bakery or the donut shop!"

People want what they can't have, I suppose.

But, as others have suggested, I'm sure new incarnations of these things will debut soon.
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

"Winkies" or "Twinkle Cakes".

:D
I always loved copycat names...

My favorite is Walmart's Graet Value brand of "I can't Believe it's not butter!"

"Wow, I totally thought it was butter!"
Your secrets are the true reflection of who you really are...

It will probably just be moved to mexico and someone there will start making your favorite sugar products once again.

That's bullshit.

Oh, wait, no it isn't.

http://nbclatino.com/2012/11/17/will-twinkies-be-reborn-through-new-mexican-ownership/

Hi A

Thanks for the link. Business is business. I always enjoy reading the comments following articles,

Please lets not start that crap again, or its Hi Ho, Hi Ho back to SC the thread is going to go. So no Ding Dong jokes.

I wasn't thinking about Mexico there's always China;), lower labor rates, and maybe more efficent transportation costs thru the seaports[:/]

I've never been hungry enough to eat a twinkie, ho ho, or ding dong. I did eat some hostess cupcakes while on a cross country trip to keep from falling asleep.

If the mexican company buys the hostess brand and has a IPO :)

R.

What's up with Twinkies? Iluvtofly was posting her Twinkie stash on facebook the other day.

She's a smart girl. She stocked up. They'll be worth their weight in gold (or jump tickets) before too long.

Why, have they stopped making them?
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

What's up with Twinkies? Iluvtofly was posting her Twinkie stash on facebook the other day.

She's a smart girl. She stocked up. They'll be worth their weight in gold (or jump tickets) before too long.

Not for another few days. :P

Do they even have them down-under?
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/nov/18/economy-briefs-twinkie-maker-hostess-reaches-the-e/

Not generally available but you can find them if you look.

I've tried them, they pretty much suck, so I don't know what all the fuss is about:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Thats the problem with Facebook :(

One day when she gets home her stash of Twinkies will be gone. >:(

Unless she eats them first:ph34r:

If she eats them all, they may be gone, but they won't be soon forgottten, or shed! :o
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Not generally available but you can find them if you look.

I've tried them, they pretty much suck, so I don't know what all the fuss is about:|

I've never looked. To be honest I like US savoury food, but Twinkies and most candy (except reeses peanut products) taste like carcinogens packaged with sugar and fatB|
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Hi 99

In the US after we grew up. We just call twinkies Junk food.

Their advertising budget must have been huge.:ph34r:

Back in the day they when they first came out they "only" cost $.05-$.10 a pack. The T.V. adds showed moms packing them in little kids lunch bags for school.

What kind of Junk food you guy's have down under?

Gotta love marketing:D

One Jump Wonder

Hi 99

Back in the day they when they first came out they "only" cost $.05-$.10 a pack. The T.V. adds showed moms packing them in little kids lunch bags for school.

Here tim tams are the rage for sweet food. But since most of my family (wife is the only exception) grab a carrot or cheese as junk food, I don't really know. We eat our weight in cheese (sadly something the US and Australia have in common is not great cheese), love a proper acidic English cheddar...

Hi 99

Here tim tams are the rage for sweet food. But since most of my family (wife is the only exception) grab a carrot or cheese as junk food, I don't really know. We eat our weight in cheese (sadly something the US and Australia have in common is not great cheese), love a proper acidic English cheddar...

Oh thems fightin words....

.. but Twinkies and most candy (except reeses peanut products) taste like carcinogens packaged with sugar and fatB|

And you would not be wrong.
:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239