tdog

swoop + cypres fire

I was told by a person at the DZ over the weekend on the plane that a friend "back home" (a very good swooper apparently) called saying he just had a cypres fire at the bottom end of his swoop, reserve came out after he was on the ground, the PC fired low.

Nothing new to learn from it - same as the previous ones - from all the questions I asked.

Proof - Cypres units are firing in swoops.

There are Cypres units (software) out there that are swoop friendly. Maybe if you have a sub 100 canopy and can get near Cypres speed you should buy one?:P

Anyway - I encouraged this person to tell the friend to send a report to the USPA or write a little news snippet for Skydiving Magazine, so it can be tracked... These things are happening more frequently now.:S Swoopers are getting too good.:P

Unfortunately I have told you EVERYTHING I know about this, I did not ask names, canopy, location, etc. However the person who told me is credible.

Airtec has addressed this issue with the "swoop" cypres...

Guess how many they have sold.

That's a lot of money too. I would love to have a swoop Cypres2, but I'd rather just take my Cypres out of my rig and use the money on more training.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

According to http://www.cypres-usa.com/cypres_news_letter_november_2005.pdf any existing Cypres2 can be converted to a Speed Cypres2 at no charge. You probably have to pay shipping charges. I just sent mine in for it's 4-year check and I'm having it converted at the same time.

Sure, but I don't even own a Cypre2, its the OG Cypres1. So into my wife's rig it goes (hers only has 2 years left on it) and I'll continue without an AAD. Then I don't have to worry about the filter from the water, the 4-year or my canopy's speed in relation to an electronic device.

Then I don't have to worry about the filter from the water, the 4-year or my canopy's speed in relation to an electronic device.

Meh, how fast could a fat guy on a velo 111 go anyway??:P

Sorry, couldn't resist.:D

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

Sure, but I don't even own a Cypre2, its the OG Cypres1. So into my wife's rig it goes (hers only has 2 years left on it) and I'll continue without an AAD. Then I don't have to worry about the filter from the water, the 4-year or my canopy's speed in relation to an electronic device.

Note that provided you shopped around for a reasonable dealer markup and don't make more than 500 jumps in two years with a Cypres-1 (which would require early battery replacement to comply with SSK and therefore FAA regulations), owning either costs $11-$12 a month (With the original you pay Airtec for batteries, while they get the money up front for the Cypres-2)

One can argue that it doesn't cost anything to upgrade to a Cypres-2 if your needs (water-proof, speed-option, > 250 jumps a year) warant it.

One can argue that it doesn't cost anything to upgrade to a Cypres-2 if your needs (water-proof, speed-option, > 250 jumps a year) warant it.

Sure, when you play with the numbers the cost is spread and seem very inexpensive, but you still have to put the money down upfront to get one. I know I'm not the only swooper that looked at it and simply just took their cypres out of their swoop rig.

It annoys me to no end to hear this.

Seriously folks, doesn't anyone read the incident reports???? Not to mention the bunch of independant tests that have fired them under the conditions that Airtek have made public.

Airtek have addressed this where they can (Cypres 2 to Speed Cypres) and issued operational parameters to those who don't have that option. DON'T DO MULTIPLE ROTATIONS FOR LANDING IF YOU HAVE A CYPRES 1 - EVEN IF YOU HAVE SAFELY IN THE PAST!

Operating outside of those recommendations is totally negligent. When Adrian died, I immediately stopped doing more than 270's until I had the unit removed (and later upgraded to Speed Cypres).

Sheesh.....
Performance Designs Factory Team

The interesting point many people are not aware of is that airtec will upgrade a cypress 2 or even switch a student to a pro to a tandem or whatever you want - many people assume they have to sell their unit and buy the one that they want.

-Michael

Just witnessed a cypress fire at 30 feet above ground on an 810 swoop. Someone borrowed a rig and didn't know they didn't have the speed cypress. This was one of the scariest things i have seen in person as it was fulling inflated just as he landed. If it fired 30 feet hire would of been bad as he was still turning then and no time to recover. It looked like a sprint car when they have there parachute deploy to slow them down

Just witnessed a cypress fire at 30 feet above ground on an 810 swoop. Someone borrowed a rig and didn't know they didn't have the speed cypress. This was one of the scariest things i have seen in person as it was fulling inflated just as he landed. If it fired 30 feet hire would of been bad as he was still turning then and no time to recover. It looked like a sprint car when they have there parachute deploy to slow them down

I don't doubt that you saw what you saw, but the altitudes there have to be wrong. If you are still turning an 810 @ 60 feet you are dead.

Similar video here, Cypres, non-"speed" version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLqaMGIqWe4

Questions:
1. Cypres fires above 78 mph (125 km/h) vertical speed (taken from the manual). He seems to be going slower. Thoughts?

2. Cypres does not activate below 130 feet AGL (40 meters) (taken from the manual). The reserve PC emerged lower than that. Comments?

I know there is always a possiblity of too long reserve loop getting trappend between the groomets and delaying the PC launch, or the unit miscalibrated unit (to a different landing elevation). But still, what do you think?

...Someone borrowed a rig and didn't know they didn't have the speed cypress....

Key phrase.
:S

Me thinks anyone doing an 810 would verify that prior to doing said 810. This is why I'm very careful about borrowing gear...complacency with unfamiliar gear = BAD.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

Just witnessed a cypress fire at 30 feet above ground on an 810 swoop.

Are you sure it wasn’t a 790 or maybe an 820? Where did you come up with 810?

It looked like a sprint car when they have there parachute deploy to slow them down

Maybe a dragster ya think?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Just witnessed a cypress fire at 30 feet above ground on an 810 swoop.

Are you sure it wasn’t a 790 or maybe an 820? Where did you come up with 810?

It looked like a sprint car when they have there parachute deploy to slow them down

Maybe a dragster ya think?

Sparky

720+90=810.

Thanks for the valuable post, none of us had any idea what he was talking about until you clarified.
Come, my friends! 'Tis not too late to seek out a newer world!

I don't doubt that you saw what you saw, but the altitudes there have to be wrong. If you are still turning an 810 @ 60 feet you are dead.

I can confirm his story. The jumper was Nick Batsch, who was borrowing a rig from another jumper. He did indeed execute an 810. He was not, however, still in a turn when the cypress fired. He was probably 60-80ft off the ground when the reserve came off his back, and probably 30ft when the canopy reached full inflation.

I can confirm his story. The jumper was Nick Batsch, who was borrowing a rig from another jumper. He did indeed execute an 810. He was not, however, still in a turn when the cypress fired. He was probably 60-80ft off the ground when the reserve came off his back, and probably 30ft when the canopy reached full inflation.

And he should know better. People, don't get complacent. If its not yours, you better damn well know everything that is and is not on/in that rig. Borrow a rig? Ask what reserve it is...because you might need it. Believe that if NB can get caught...so can you.
Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.