Unstable

Black Skydivers - Okay folks, games up....

PS. Thanks for letting me have fun with this.....

NATE.... dude...you've suddenly inspired me.

Come back to AerOhio this year. We can do a 3-way (a black man, a one-armed man, and a lesbian.)

I seriously challenge ANY other DZ to put one of those together for 2009. B|

We have a black guy, a one-legged dude and I'm pretty sure we'll be able to find a lesbian so what's the price money?
;)

We have a black guy, a one-legged dude and I'm pretty sure we'll be able to find a lesbian

Hmmm.. well, yeah... that's pretty impressive too. I guess we'll have to find a fourth if you can find a lesbian. I'm chuckling with delight at the general idea...
Owned by Remi #?

....Where are they!?! No seriously, I mean, are they all hiding somewhere we can't find them?

To keep club and nonprofit status, our lil' DZ does a bunch of this diversity paperwork stuff, and I had to spend the evening answering questions like "What does your organization do to include various Minorities?" et cetera.

No I just realized what a bunch of white kids we are. Okay, so where are all the African American Skydivers jumping?!?!

I know, like, Mary from Couch Freaks, the dude with the Racer, and the video guy from Rantoul a coupla years back.....

You will find one at Air Adventures in Clewiston, FL.

Would an old guy qualify for your team?
Unsure

I like candlelight and walks on the beach if that helps.

Sure Pops.... as long as you have that extra sumpin to offer that Hausee can't top ;)

He's an equal-opportunity leg humper...does that sweeten the pot? ;)
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

In NorCal, there is a guy named Russel Jackson. He was running the snack bar at SkyDance for a little while. I haven't seen him in a while, but then I haven't even jumped in a couple of months due to no work. I think he has at least 1000 and is a good freeflyer.

There is a guy who jumps at Byron, Davis and maybe elsewhere named Mike. Big guy, big smile and kinda quiet. I think he has around 200-300 or so.

Occasionally I get a black guy/girl for a tandem student. I have never seen one of them come back. Once a female told me that there is some definite cultural pressure to not do "white things". Among my black friends, none of them seem to have the adrenaline junkie mindset.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

OK folks, no one pass out or anything. I'm black too (I missed the meeting when it was changed to African American). I jump at Raeford and there are maybe 3 of us (Big Mike, Noah, and I) that are regulars on the DZ. Mike is the guy that does tandems with Bush Sr, Noah is a TI and AFFI, and I just got my coach rating. We also have a guy, Lynn, who is one of the instructors at the Paraclete tunnel.
I've been in the sport for just over 2 years now and am completely hooked. Starting out, as with anything, I wondered what the racial vibe would be. This concern ALWAYS exists. So for those wondering why outreach is necessary, that’s part of it. But I’m proud to say that I have been readily accepted as part of the skydiving community. I’ve even stated a time or two that I love my sky-family.
I’ve traveled from DZ to DZ and the racial attitude is something that I’m always keenly aware of. Always checking to see what the attitude is. People may think that it’s a fucked up attitude but face it, a lot of DZs are in the backwoods of America and there are still plenty of racists out there. But I’m glad to say that everywhere I’ve been – SoCal, Mid-west, east coast, and even down at The Farm, I’ve been treated like exactly what I am – a skydiver.
And by the way, I just started snowboarding! Talk about being the ‘spot’ in the crowd… This is going to be fun just for the jokes alone ;)

Louis

The brave may not live forever, but the timid never live at all.

I've met a few in the years that I've been jumping. Everyone seemed pretty normal (to me)

I also have asked some of my black friends and co-workers if they wanted to go and jump with me. I was told "We don't do that sort of thing, that's a crazy white people sport." I'll tell them I know people that jump and are black, they say the people I know must be mixed or grew up with white people.

I think something about both feet on the ground and going to church was in there also. I still like to ask because I always get a funny (to me) response. It is always pretty much the exact same response.

Unstable

....Where are they!?! No seriously, I mean, are they all hiding somewhere we can't find them?

To keep club and nonprofit status, our lil' DZ does a bunch of this diversity paperwork stuff, and I had to spend the evening answering questions like "What does your organization do to include various Minorities?" et cetera.

No I just realized what a bunch of white kids we are. Okay, so where are all the African American Skydivers jumping?!?!

I know, like, Mary from Couch Freaks, the dude with the Racer, and the video guy from Rantoul a coupla years back.....

Sorry about the paperwork. Been there. Done that.

My solution? Being a smarta__, of course.

Q: What have you done to recruit minorities and women in the past quarter?

A: Does asking women on dates count?

Q: What have you done to encourage minorities and women to seek employment here in the last quarter?

A: I offered a few women a position on my staff. Does that count?

My boss read my responses and excused me from the follow-on meeting...and all subsequent reporting.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

There are black jumpers out there... Mike, Will, and Noah from the GK's (Mike is retired). There is Waz and Chris out in Dallas, and a few more sprinkled around like Mic (is he still in AZ?).

I think the answer is simple and then a bit more complex.

Simple:
1. Blacks are only 12.8% of the US population. Skydivers are a VERY small group of the population.... WAY WAY less than 1% of the US population skydives. So if you limit the original pool to 12.8% of the population, there will be even fewer participants.

2. People like to hang out with "their own". Now that might sound racist and it can be a basis of race.... It ALSO applies to people in an activity. I prefer to hang out with skydivers, scuba divers, or pilots than skiers or painters. Most people I would bet got their introduction to the sport through a friend or by talking with a friend... Well see #1: If there are so few in the sport, then they do not have much exposure.

Complex:
1. Racial attitudes. Diesel just mentioned he is cautious when going to a DZ for fear of racism.... Well, if a guy that is 'one of us' still has that idea, you can bet that a good number of the rest of that population has the same idea with NO exposure. So while we don't seem to to be racist to black skydivers.... Black people don't know that we are one big dysfunctional family and they too can be in the family only if they are crazy enough to jump out of aircraft.

2. There is a cultural difference. This is the one that most people like to pretend does not exist. But let's face it, blacks do not normally play hockey and while blacks are only 12.8% of the US population they have a much larger share of NBA players. It is a cultural thing. Whites seem to be more inclined to 'extreme' hobbies.

Add it all up and it kinda explains it.

One thing I have noticed is that in the military there are more black skydivers than the general population. My theory is that they are already a part of a larger 'family' and feel accepted. Plus being in the military appeals to a certain type of mindset. So a,IMO, a black person in the military already feels accepted and has a spirit suited for extreme activities.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

There are black jumpers out there... Mike, Will, and Noah from the GK's

Spend more than 5 minutes around Noah and you'll start to hear all of his "Token" jokes. He's got a million of 'em.:D

We've got a few out in NorCal. I'd venture to say that while it's still pretty white, the California skydiving community is reasonably high on the diversity scale and very inclusive. Then again, we're all a buncha left-wing radicals out here, so what do you expect. :D:D
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I never really noticed one way or another...and yes I'm serious.

When I get to he DZ I don't see color, sex or age...just friends.

In truth I'm not that way everywhere else...now that I realize I am at the dropzone - gives me something to think about.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~