JohnMitchell

Last day of work.

So after over 29 years with the FAA, I've timed out like an old Cypres and am hanging up my headset. Yesterday I sat at the radar scope for the last time, talking to the planes and guiding them around. Today I go in for my admin day, a little paperwork and turning in my badge.

What a career, with flight assists and emergencies, a national award or two. I've ridden in the cockpits with dozens of crews, from little Metroliners to C-17's and seen the system from their side. I've sat and worked planes thru blue skies and severe weather, engines out and electrical failures. I've had many moments of hilarity and a few moments of OMG. :o

The people I've worked with have been some of the smartest, quickest people you could ever share a scope with. I will miss them all. Walking in the front door of Seattle Center 29 years ago, newly married to Vskydiver, this day seemed so far away. I can't believe it's up on me now in a flash.:S:D

I'm proud to say our son Brett is in SLC, Utah, training to be a controller right now. He's going to be awesome at the job, I know it, and do all he can to keep the pilots safe.

To all the pilots out there, please remember this one last thing from me. The system belongs to YOU, not us, and we are there to help. Please call on us anytime you need something. Don't wait too long. ;)

So long, over and out. :)

Congratulations John.

My father is also retired FAA. He was an electronic technician, repairing and maintaining radar that you rely upon, among other duties. He has been retired for ~8 years now.

I still have a long way to go before retirement arrives for me.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Congrats! :)
What are you going to do with yourself now? Are you just going to sit there and yell at the neighbor kids to stay off your lawn? ;)

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Enjoy. I have zero regrets about retiring early. Especially if I can get this stupid floor tiled :ph34r:

OK, just re-read, and it's not "early." But as compared with a lot of people, it's early. So enjoy anyway.

Wendy P.

There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

:)when i saw this thread title i just KNEW... that you were the author !!;)

Your high regards for your work and for those with whom you share a BIG responsibility, is noted... Thanks for all those night shifts and holidays in the tower or radar room, on behalf of all who fly and have flown, under your umbrella of Care...

My brother Tommy had to stand down as well, last November when he "reached some abritrary age number " He started by training in OK City right after Reagan fired all the ATC people.. ( maybe '80 or '81 ) he worked Newark NJ for years and then was @ Dulles the last 18 or 20...

I said he should have taken some time OFF...but he's Still AT Dulles, working for a contractor who handles ramp and tarmac traffic, etc etc.
Are those sort of opportunites available to You??/ or are you WELL set with PLENTY else to do !!???
either way..
Job Well Done...!!!B|
best wishes for the future. :)jmy

So what you are saying is that the skies are just a little less safe for commercial aircraft in the far north west.:(

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Dang it! I'll be flying through that air space and you've left?? I was going to have the captain give a shout out to you as we went over. Of course he might not of since I do fly best after a drink or 10.
Oh well.

CONGRATS!!!!!
No matter how slowly you say oranges it never sounds like gullible.
Believe me I tried.

The skies over the northwest just became a little less safe.
Thanks for sharing this, John. Hope to see more of you and V.
Hopefully the new crop of controllers are as capable and calm as you, and congrats for surviving the experience!

Congratulations, John!

Now, you get to do all the things you never had time for, before this. :)
Don't forget to take a shower occasionally and get dressed in clean clothes everyday. Sitting on your front porch in PJs is bad form, even if the neighbor kids are on your lawn. :P

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Hi John

When its time to go its time.

But dude we are facing a heat wave, remember that nice free AC at work.
90 degrees , sun, and no ac.

Sorry we cant make your retirement party, The boss isnt getting the procedure today. It,s her insignificant other thats going under the scope.

Gotta go Drs here.

R
One Jump Wonder

Congrats, my friend!

Oh how I envy you...retired...all the time in the world to do whatever you please...shaving optional...hang with the sweetie all day long...free to browse Home Depot on a whim...

Geez, what a life.

Oh, wait.....
:D:D

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

:D:D:D

Sorry to hear you're leaving the system, but I suppose you've done your time. :P

Every once in a while ya should get on the radio and mess with the new guys. :D:)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message