wayneflorida

Escape artist faces coffin skydive at 14,500 feet

I remember one escape jump was done at Eloy some 15 years ago or so... Don't remember the guy's name, but he was handcuffed, then locked in a big bag which was then tied up and suspended inside a steel cage, with a lock on the cage door! He had to open the door, reach out to retrieve the chest-mounted parachute and attach it, then climb out and deploy. :S

He made it, but not with a lot of time to spare.

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

BillyVance

I remember one escape jump was done at Eloy some 15 years ago or so... Don't remember the guy's name, but he was handcuffed, then locked in a big bag which was then tied up and suspended inside a steel cage, with a lock on the cage door! He had to open the door, reach out to retrieve the chest-mounted parachute and attach it, then climb out and deploy. :S

He made it, but not with a lot of time to spare.

Yikes! The idea of it just makes me pucker up...
I imagine the guy doing this stunt will have his escape all worked out well ahead of time, and on a timer. Still... if anything goes wrong...
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

NorrinRadd

Yikes! The idea of it just makes me pucker up...
I imagine the guy doing this stunt will have his escape all worked out well ahead of time, and on a timer. Still... if anything goes wrong...

I'm thinking the wind-blast, (which was not there in the ground practice), could send all kinds of planning out the window.:S
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

that was my thoughts as well... If he had to go to south america to do it like Travis Pastrana did for his chuteless jump i'd consider it much more risky... but if he got clearance for it in the states it has to be illusion than stunt

We all know any skydive can always go sideways, and adding anything to it only increases that chance, so no doubt this is a risky stunt.... but I bet there's a plan b, c & d in place for them to have gotten the clearance to do it

I don't understand how this "locked box" shit (in general) impresses anyone.

This guy's resume is "I've been getting out of locked boxes for decades." Ok, so obviously the locks aren't that challenging for you. I'm guessing you choose the locks yourself. That's about like saying, I've been unlocking the front door to my house for decades. It's not that impressive.

Now if he let ME put the padlock on his coffin and still jumped, then I'd be impressed. B|

www.WingsuitPhotos.com

LuckyMcSwervy

"Two skydivers will stabilize the box by holding handles on the side,"" (quote from the link).

I just pictured a raft dive. :P

The picture in the article shows jumpers holding on to the vertical box. The box also has lines at the top--for a drogue of some sort? Not sure what the black blob that looks like a full garbage bag is.

It would be interesting to see the video.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Martin first pulled off dropped coffin stunt in an August 1988 on just his 17th skydive.

http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci_23803083/escape-artist-faces-coffin-skydive-at-14-500

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat is this?

I know times were different back then but you can't tell me a coffin skydive was part of the license progression :S:D:D:D

I'm always amazed to hear fellow skydivers pooh-pooh others' achievements. I wouldn't jump out, handcuffed, inside a coffin. Would you?

Sure, he's been practicing escapistry for his entire life, but that doesn't downgrade the difficulty of the jump. It just means he's good at his craft.

Personally, I think it's a little reckless, and if things went wrong, the media would focus more on the skydiving (thus making us look bad), rather than the escape art. As it was, things went right, and there was little fanfare. Too bad.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

Thanks!

Looks like the garbage bag came out of the box with him. I wonder what it contained. Tools of the trade?B| Extra cushioning?B| Magic pixie dust? :P

Did they just let the box bounce? It's not like they did this over the desert. Although, maybe after he left, it weighed little enough that the drogue slowed it enough that they felt it would do little damage?

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Here's his interview from GMA this morning. For all of you who aren't impressed, I'm ready to see what kind of tricks you can do!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I don't see the aviation industry, auto manufacturing, motorcycle manufacturing or any other sport or industry taking a lot of heat when a highly publicized stunt goes wrong using their specific tools to do it.
Why should this one be any different?

Looked crazy as hell to me. No way I'd do it.
Kudos to him for succeeding!

riddler

I'm always amazed to hear fellow skydivers pooh-pooh others' achievements. I wouldn't jump out, handcuffed, inside a coffin. Would you?

Not unless Nastassja Kinski was in there with me.:P
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.