turtlespeed

Anyone looking forward to "Enders Game" the movie?

I liked the books,
Much preferred Enders Shadow to Enders Game, but if I hadn't read EG first, who knows . . .

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE]Anyway, here's the trailer [/url]. . . it has some pretty big names in the cast.

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UNWLgY-wuo]Trailer 2[/url]
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

turtlespeed

I liked the books,
Much preferred Enders Shadow to Enders Game, but if I hadn't read EG first, who knows . . .

[urlhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP0cUBi4hwE]Anyway, here's the trailer [/url]. . . it has some pretty big names in the cast.

Meh

According to OSC, the movie is a mashup of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow because the movie format needed the outside perspective of Bean to tell the story (too much of Ender's Game is internal dialogue).

And yes, very much looking forward to it!

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

livendive

According to OSC, the movie is a mashup of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow because the movie format needed the outside perspective of Bean to tell the story (too much of Ender's Game is internal dialogue).

Blues,
Dave

That is what OSC said in his interview at the end of both those books.

will I be disappointed if I read Speaker for the Dead?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

turtlespeed

***According to OSC, the movie is a mashup of Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow because the movie format needed the outside perspective of Bean to tell the story (too much of Ender's Game is internal dialogue).

Blues,
Dave

That is what OSC said in his interview at the end of both those books.

will I be disappointed if I read Speaker for the Dead?

Not at all. I just got done with Speaker for the Dead for the third time, though I'm not bothering to revisit Xenocide or Children of the Mind (once was enough for me on those).

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Not seeing anything particularly interesting from watching the trailers. Never read the books. Just based on the trailer this doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in watching.

I'm really growing weary of stories where the hero has to save the world. I'm really, REALLY getting weary of him doing it by what looks like remote control.

The problem with stories like that is there's absolutely nothing about them I can take away and use in life to make me a better person. It's just a basic theory of story and maybe my own baggage I have to deal with.

Maybe there's something else to the books and I'm not seeing it in the trailers. I dunno.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

Not seeing anything particularly interesting from watching the trailers. Never read the books. Just based on the trailer this doesn't seem like something I'd be interested in watching.

I'm really growing weary of stories where the hero has to save the world. I'm really, REALLY getting weary of him doing it by what looks like remote control.

The problem with stories like that is there's absolutely nothing about them I can take away and use in life to make me a better person. It's just a basic theory of story and maybe my own baggage I have to deal with.

Maybe there's something else to the books and I'm not seeing it in the trailers. I dunno.

You might want to read the book synopsis.

Well the books were probably the first of those remote control save the world stories. They were reasonably well written, though not my favourite. I got a much better charge from the Heinlein book Starship Troopers (definitely the book, NOT the movie), and it was making similar statements about xeonocide, dehumanization of people in war, and the political state. I would suggest Starship Troopers well in advance of Ender's Game. (again, the books, not the movies)
And Heinlein was not a total homophobic douchebag.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

a total homophobic douchebag.

Card is a LDS (Mormon), so it's not surprising that his views correspond with that of his Church.

I enjoyed Ender's series when I was a kid. I'm afraid to re-read them prior to the movie, because I'm afraid I will hate it as an adult.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

turtlespeed

You might want to read the book synopsis.

Just read this one.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enders_game#Synopsis

Acts one and two appear to be a complete rip-off of "Starship Troopers," but without the naked chicks in the shower scene. (So, who needs that?)

I do like the idea of the act three solution where we find out the kid isn't simply a genocidal manic, feels some remorse and does a bit of a reboot, but man it seems like that's a long way to go. At least it FEELS like that's act three. If it's the mid-point "turn" of the story I didn't see enough behind it to fill out all the way to the end.

Okay, yeah, I might go see this now just to see how they're going to deal with that.
quade -

I think I've read that book, but its been years, hell probably at least 2 decades. I thought I had it, but looked and found that I've got Orson Scott Card's Xenocide book, which if I recall, was a good read as well.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

quade

Just read this one.

Acts one and two appear to be a complete rip-off of "Starship Troopers," but without the naked chicks in the shower scene. (So, who needs that?)

Hell, that was the only memorable part.[:/]
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I saw it(the book) more as a story of a society who in desperation finds the best and the brightest then in a calculating manner forges them into tools to serve the needs of that society. The twist comes in the tools becoming the masters of society using all they were trained to do.
I will be seeing it.

quade

Not seeing anything particularly interesting from watching the trailers.

My wife and youngest daughter are familiar with the book(s) and look forward to the movie. I, for one, am CGI'ed to death, and would just like a plain old movie about people and funny stuff.

BTW, watched "42" tonight. Great movie, nicely done period piece. It didn't spend long in the theaters, which I think was a shame. Nice dramatization of an important piece of American history. :)

My wife and youngest daughter are familiar with the book(s) and look forward to the movie. I, for one, am CGI'ed to death, and would just like a plain old movie about people and funny stuff.

BTW, watched "42" tonight. Great movie, nicely done period piece. It didn't spend long in the theaters, which I think was a shame. Nice dramatization of an important piece of American history.

+1

Though just saw "Two Guns" which was pretty entertaining.

quade

***You might want to read the book synopsis.

Just read this one.

Ender's Game actually has a lot of naked children scenes, in and out of the shower. Probably wouldn't play so well on the big screen though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

JohnMitchell

***Not seeing anything particularly interesting from watching the trailers.

BTW, watched "42" tonight. Great movie, nicely done period piece. It didn't spend long in the theaters, which I think was a shame. Nice dramatization of an important piece of American history. :)
So, you think there wasn't any CGI in "42"?

Shows you how good it can be when it's trying to be real.

Very few films today don't have CGI in them in one way or another.

Wanna see something amazing?
http://vimeo.com/68451324
quade -

turtlespeed

I liked the books,

Read the books in college and loved them. I have not seen a movie in a few years, I may see this.

JohnMitchell

***Not seeing anything particularly interesting from watching the trailers.

I only go to the movies about 2x decade, but this one, I'll probably go and see it on the big screen. But then again, I love all of the Ender books. :)
I like pretty much all of OSC's books.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9