freeflyfree

nobody told me I was going to get fat

Damn, if what I did as far a canopy progression wasn't that humble...when I felt humble enough I ordered my fisrt harness...now I don't fit in it...and I have to keep constantly on the look out for biggger parachuetes, what kind of a looser am I?....now to be fair..I've sat next to fricking olav, cisco, erick, and the like, and them mother fuck..rs never seemed to gain a pound in weight, now I live with the conundrum of I can land a 120....or I'll live longer if I jump a 150...the answere is sad....I need to jump a 210 7 cell mostruosity....but I don't dare show my face at the DZ..damn I'm fat! any suggestion as to how to looose 40 pounds???
--
Blue Skies
NO FEARS, NO LIMITS, NO MONEY...
"A Subitánea et Improvísa Morte, Líbera nos, Domine."

Stop eating twinkies??

How long has it taken you to put on the weight?? It always takes me twice as long to lose as it took me to gain [:/]

This is always my approach: be honest about what you eat, and how much energy you are spending... You might be able to lose some by just using a smaller plate and cutting your portions - you'd be surprised at the results. More vegetables to fill you up and less meat/bread/pasta... You still feel full, but you're less likely to overeat on veggies... It's not very scientific but it works for me.

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

I'm just going to copy and paste my response from another thread, but honestly it boils down to this: Burn more calories than you eat! You WILL lose weight.

____

Late last year I was tipping the scales at about 265lbs (I'm 6'3, for reference). I saw a pic of myself at the dropzone back in college and went "Jesus I really let myself go" and snapped. Now I'm a little over 214 as of this morning, and I want to drop another 10-20lbs (I have a mental image of how I should look but I can't give an honest estimate as to how much the fat I would need to lose to fit that image would weigh).

I did two things. First off, I joined a gym because I knew that if I had to pay some assholes money every month on a contract I was gonna get my money's worth. In 2013 there have been precisely two weekdays where I did not do a (minimum) 30 minute cardio session: last Thursday and Friday, when I was at home sick with influenza b. I usually go on most Saturdays as well.

However, for me the biggest part of my success was tracking what the hell I was eating. Weighing my portions, learning exactly what I was taking in, so on so forth. I use mynetdiary but there are other solutions. I was underestimating how big my portions were by a long shot, and I was also overestimating how many calories I should take in.

Once I knew how many calories I should be eating to maintain my weight based on my actual activity level, I adjusted my intake accordingly. I've taken a few breaks as rewards, but generally take in about 1,000 calories less than I need to maintain weight, and that averages 2lbs/week lost.

That said, I've had some slips, where I'll take a vacation or something and eat like a fat kid because I'm away from home.

I too have an addictive personality, and I've found one of the best things I can do for myself is to force portion control on myself. If I'm going to order pizza with my girlfriend for a special treat, I don't get a large for myself and a large for her anymore and tell myself "We'll have leftovers for days", which actually means "I'll eat my pizza and half of hers". We order a large to share, or we'll get a medium with a dessert. Most chains publish their calorie information, and if the place you like doesn't, look at similar offerings from places that do to get a rough idea, and then add 15% just to be safe.

A "normal" day for me is like so:

Wake up, go to the gym. At least 30 minutes of cardio keeping my heart rate around 135. If I've got time, I'll do some lifting after as well.

Get to work, make my breakfast shake:

1 cup of light milk
1 medium banana
about 35g of light peanut butter
1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard chocolate whey protein
1 scoop Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard chocolate casein protein
Double handful of ice

Blenddddddddd. 700 calories, tastes like a dessert, and keeps me full for hours.

Lunch: Typically something around 450 calories - a couple of homemade spicy chicken tacos on corn tortillas, or a roast beef sandwich.

Afternoon snack when I get home: 3/4lb of steamed broccoli with hot sauce on it. About 50 calories.

Dinner: Generous serving of grilled chicken breast or two (or beef tenderloin), more broccoli and maybe some green beans. About 700 calories.

Dessert: berries and fruit if I'm being good. A candy bar if I'm not.

I only drink water for the most part; I nearly gave up soft drinks completely (the ONLY thing I gave up, though I've never had alcohol so take that into consideration) unless I'm having a day where I feel I honestly need caffeine, which is perhaps once a month. Then I'll have a Coke Zero, which might give me cancer but at least it's low calories.

I've dropped a crapload of weight, and my overall fitness level has increased tremendously. When I was in college I was a two-sport athlete and I'm thinking that I'm almost as fit now as I was then, and by the end of October I should be done with the fat loss I'm hoping.
cavete terrae.

I'm 43 and have lost 30+ pounds in the last year. Eat less, exercise more! I cut out soft drinks in the 90's and drink only water most of the time. I feel like that was a HUGE help. I don't snack between meals, eat slowly enough to tell when I'm full when I'm eating, don't eat anyplace that has a drive-in window and will skip a meal if I'm not hungry.

The only extra exercise I'm doing is a few push-ups in the morning if I feel like it, a few minutes in the tunnel every month or two and skydiving. Of course, I sweat like... something that sweats A LOT when I'm packing, but I tend to be lazy and let the packers do it for me at the DZ. I'm still starting to see muscles I haven't seen since I was 17.

A lot of times in the summer I'll grow my own lettuce and tomatoes and make a salad with lettuce, tomatoes and a bit of tuna fish for dinner, with a little salt and pepper and no dressing. But mostly I can eat what I want and seem to be maintaining a better weight. I could still stand to lose a few more pounds but feel like I could do that with a few more push-ups and a bit more packing.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

The math is dead simple: Calories consumed > calories used means weight gain. Calories consumed < calories used means weight loss. Eat less, exercise more. And try to make the food you eat healthy, because you will be eating less.
Why drive myself crazy trying to be normal, when I am already at crazy?

grue

I only drink water for the most part; I nearly gave up soft drinks completely (the ONLY thing I gave up, though I've never had alcohol so take that into consideration) unless I'm having a day where I feel I honestly need caffeine, which is perhaps once a month. Then I'll have a Coke Zero, which might give me cancer but at least it's low calories.

I don't think a Coke Zero a couple times a month will give you cancer! A friend of mine will go through 4-5 of them at lunch. I'm guessing he's pretty close to the level they injected those rats with back in the 70s. I'm guessing 5 or 6 liters of Coke Zero a day will eventually give you cancer. Oh well, we all have our addictions.

I tend to drink coffee and drink it black if I need caffeine. That's what I'm trying to limit MY intake of. Even so, I have an emergency supply of caffeine pills in case I'm ever confronted with Folgier's Paradox (Need coffee but too tired to leave the house to buy coffee.) I once had a psychiatrist diagnose me as a caffeine addict on the sole evidence that I drank Mountain Dew. That was before I gave up soft drinks. I can't even touch the stuff now -- after 15 years of drinking nothing but water, Mountain Dew just tastes nasty to me.
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

NorrinRadd

The math is dead simple: Calories consumed > calories used means weight gain. Calories consumed < calories used means weight loss. Eat less, exercise more. And try to make the food you eat healthy, because you will be eating less.

Actually the maths is NOT that simple.
It's true we are what we consume .vs. what we expend
BUT calories are a shite simplification in the process.

Calories are 'estimated' based upon burning the substance in a Bomb-Calorimeter... we don't BURN food, we process it chemically.

1000calories of say paper would not have the same effect on our bodies as 1000calories of sugar which would not have the same effect on our bodies as 1000calories of Beef.

The calorie count is an INDICATION but it's not the whole story. Different foods are processed and effect our Blood Chemistry (and thus our bodies) in different ways.

Eat Less and Exercise more - Sure - that is the right thing to do
BUT be VERY aware of exactly what you eat and the Micro-Nutient make up of those foods.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

shropshire

***The math is dead simple: Calories consumed > calories used means weight gain. Calories consumed < calories used means weight loss. Eat less, exercise more. And try to make the food you eat healthy, because you will be eating less.

It's true we are what we consume .vs. what we expend
BUT calories are a shite simplification in the process.

Calories are 'estimated' based upon burning the substance in a Bomb-Calorimeter... we don't BURN food, we process it chemically.

1000calories of say paper would not have the same effect on our bodies as 1000calories of sugar which would not have the same effect on our bodies as 1000calories of Beef.

The calorie count is an INDICATION but it's not the whole story. Different foods are processed and effect our Blood Chemistry (and thus our bodies) in different ways.

Eat Less and Exercise more - Sure - that is the right thing to do
BUT be VERY aware of exactly what you eat and the Micro-Nutient make up of those foods.
Aye.. agreed :) As the last sentence of my post shows.

True...I did the weight gain (and loss) thing before I discovered them purty parachutes...but yeah -- the comments you're hearing to eat less/move more -- that's it. No food is inherently evil...but too much of even a good thing is not helpful.

It took a while to do this safely...but I lost 100 pounds in a little less than 2 years. And I've maintained that loss for 3+ years now.

I got really, really sick last winter, and basically sat in a heap for 4 months....so my issue, as a scrawny old lady student skydiver ;) is building muscle mass and strength...so you get yourself skinny; I'll get myself stronger!

Meanwhile, eat less, move more, and start recording every morsel that crosses your lips (there are some cool apps that make it less of a pain). Figure out what you're going to choose before you go out to a restaurant (online nutrition info and menus are helpful).

shropshire

***The math is dead simple: Calories consumed > calories used means weight gain. Calories consumed < calories used means weight loss. Eat less, exercise more. And try to make the food you eat healthy, because you will be eating less.

What IS very simple is that, with the exception of the 7 or so pounds you were born with, every ounce on your body went in through your mouth.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Okay dude, I can sympathize here completely... however I only had to lose 20lbs to get back into my jumpsuits, etc and now I up to about 25-30 miles a week jogging/walking. I'm probably in better shape now than any time other than when I was soldier.

What I did:

1. Stop drinking (or taper slowly if you are an alchy so you don't shock your system). Not judging; it's just calories.
2. Food log... and you don't need to go all OCD but you need to get an idea about what you are actually consuming on a daily basis... if you don't know what's broken, how do you fix it?
3. Exercise. Walk, weights, cardio.
4. I hit a weight loss plateau briefly so I went with an "EC stack" to help push though it. Be careful with stuff like this though... visit a doctor and get a check-up, monitor your vitals, and make adjustments as necessary. If you have any risk factors don't add any stimulants and do high-intensity training of any kind, especially if you aren't in any sort of decent shape already, because you could literally drop dead.
5. Read: http://4chanfit.wikia.com/wiki/Harsh%27s_Worksheet_%28WIP%29

http://www.hotnfit.com/ecstack/ec-dosages

Be honest with yourself and patient... you can do it... it takes time and h a r d w o r k. Getting started is the hard part.
NSCR-2376, SCR-15080

Want to lose 40 lbs the easy way

Cut off your head.

On a more serious note, the human body has a built in defense mechanism,
During times of famine the body automatically will consume calories more efficiently.

Eat less the body goes in famine mode the calories are harder to burn off. What took you 10 yrs to gain, isn't going to go away in 6 months.

Buy everything everything XXXL.

Your clothes shrinks in the closet without even being washed and dried. Its a conspiracy against old folks.
One Jump Wonder

kallend

******The math is dead simple: Calories consumed > calories used means weight gain. Calories consumed < calories used means weight loss. Eat less, exercise more. And try to make the food you eat healthy, because you will be eating less.

What IS very simple is that, with the exception of the 7 or so pounds you were born with, every ounce on your body went in through your mouth.

[pedant mode on] apart from a few grams intravenous input[/]

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Famine mode is terribly misunderstood. It is not something that happens if you miss a meal or two. It is something that happens over a long period of time when you are not receiving the right amount of food.
http://voices.yahoo.com/starvation-mode-dispelling-myths-2900886.html
http://body-improvements.com/resources/eat/#starvationmode

Total aside:

I once heard a report on the radio where the "scientists" claimed that eating 1 lbm of food did not make a person 1 lbm more massive. As in, weight yourself, eat a 1 lbm hamburger, and weight yourself immediately after. The report claimed that you wouldn't weight 1 lbf more. It was an amazing display of ignorance. This was years ago, and it stuck with me. I suppose you can lose a little through respiration, perspiration, and flatulence. Processing the food will convert some very, very small amount of mass into energy. Otherwise, unless you hit the loo, it matters not if you carry the food in your hand or your stomach.

I know this has nothing to do with weight loss, but I'm bored at work.

Clearly you've never heard of butt chugging.

- Dan G

Another thing to consider is the timing of your meals.
When you are not eating, or eating small... LIGHT snacks, your body is in its fight and flight mode. Your caveman you is out there hunting/gathering, and is ready to chase down a gazelle or run from a lion. Your body is not worried about building up, repairing, breeding, etc etc. Your insulin levels are low, and as a result you do not build up as much fat. EDIT: You also burn up fat as an energy reserve more readily. When you eat a meal, your body starts going into the rest and digest mode. Your body repairs itself (including repairing muscle damage that results from hitting the weights) and your insulin levels rise to cope with the added carbs, thereby increasing fat levels. If the meal is big enough, you can get post-prandial somnolence: Your body is saying 'Oh! BIG meal, eh? Guess I have time to sleep then and do all the repairs I need..' thus sushi and turkey coma.
If you do away with a big breakfast, and stick to just a few SMALL snacks during the day, then hit the gym, or do your workout before dinner, and eat fairly soon after, you will find your body is burning off fat faster. Again, make sure you are getting all the nutritional requirements your body needs, don't over eat, and most importantly get exercise. And stay away from shit food and drinks. I would lay off even fruit juice. It has a lot of fructose, which will add to body fat. Eat the fruit instead.

DanG

Clearly you've never heard of butt chugging.

Lewis Black on butt-chugging.
The chugging part starts at 3:00: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-october-16-2012/back-in-black---lance-armstrong--butt-chugging---farm-animal-sex:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

shropshire

*********The math is dead simple: Calories consumed > calories used means weight gain. Calories consumed < calories used means weight loss. Eat less, exercise more. And try to make the food you eat healthy, because you will be eating less.

[pedant mode on] apart from a few grams intravenous input[/]

And a pregnant woman wouldn't have gained all that weight if she would've just put it thru her mouth.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

JohnMitchell

Some studies show that sprint type exercise leads to faster weight loss and quicker cardio gains than constant speed aerobics. So go do wind sprints or ride your bike as fast as you can 'til you're exhausted.

Interval Training ;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Krip

Want to lose 40 lbs the easy way

Cut off your head.

On a more serious note, the human body has a built in defense mechanism,
During times of famine the body automatically will consume calories more efficiently.

Eat less the body goes in famine mode the calories are harder to burn off. What took you 10 yrs to gain, isn't going to go away in 6 months.

Ugh, no.

You need to calculate your caloric need to cover your basal metabolic rate and your basic activity level, and take in at least that many calories. If you REGULARLY do not take in that amount, your body will start consuming muscle mass in order to lower the amount of calories necessary to run the body on a daily basis (because muscle mass requires more calories to maintain, eliminating muscle lowers the body's needs and allows it to keep powering the important systems).

The trick is to find your maint rate (the calories needed to stay at your current weight), find your BMR + activity overhead, and eat any amount between those numbers and you'll lose weight. When I was starting my diet I was running a 1,500 calorie deficit. Now I run a 1,000 calorie deficit because I'm right on the edge of my BMR + activity overhead. If I feel I want to eat more, I force myself to do more exercise.
cavete terrae.

NorrinRadd

Another thing to consider is the timing of your meals.
When you are not eating, or eating small... LIGHT snacks, your body is in its fight and flight mode. Your caveman you is out there hunting/gathering, and is ready to chase down a gazelle or run from a lion. ...

Heh heh. Michelle Obama's new weight loss program: release lions in major American cities!

That'd be Awesome!