format

2023, going to Mars for life

No skydiving on Mars. I'm not going to trade the bottom of one gravity well for the bottom of another, slightly crappier gravity well. Set up a space station with a few thousand people on it, I might consider that...
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

If this was for real, I'd do it, even if I knew I'd never come back.:)

Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

There won't be people on it for a long time, we'll send drones and robots instead. The systems, equipment, and life support needed for humans is prohibitive, even for one-way trips.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Heatmiser

Don't need 30 dollars, cause I have my towel. :P

Helpful. But you really need an electronic thumb and a babelfish to make it a complete package.
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

format

***PT Barnum.

Don't get me wrong for asking but what do you think -
could it be that someone (like we today) was thinking similar about Armstrong and others at the time?

There is knowing what is possible and knowing what it costs to make something possible.

There is also knowing a sucker is born every minute and people are notoriously bad at math. There is no business model that will allow this project to get off the ground. Period.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

RobertMBlevins

It's a difficult proposition on many levels. NASA's known HOW to land people on Mars since the late 90's. But since their current budget runs less than twenty billion a year, and they already have to stretch out funding for all the other projects, they know it can't be done right away unless funding is increased.

Too much money for NASA you say? A waste of taxpayer funds? Check-in time at the Reality Hotel: Their budget accounts for less than one half of one percent of the Federal budget yearly. For all of that, they still manage to help keep the ISS going, care for all those orbiting satellites, do JPL, the IV and V Center, White Sands, Glenn Center, the HQ in DC, the Michoud Assembly Center, Plum, Houston, Cape, and many other places that employ some of the smartest people on our planet. You can toss in all the services and interaction they do with students and teachers all around the world.

You left out Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, as well as the Space and Rocket Museum.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

quade

******PT Barnum.

Don't get me wrong for asking but what do you think -
could it be that someone (like we today) was thinking similar about Armstrong and others at the time?

There is knowing what is possible and knowing what it costs to make something possible.

There is also knowing a sucker is born every minute and people are notoriously bad at math. There is no business model that will allow this project to get off the ground. Period.
I'll take that as a 'Yes' :P
What goes around, comes later.

Then you don't understand the scale of the two projects.

If putting a man on the Moon is a national priority and has the backing of the American tax payer, then the amount of money spent versus that base is trivial. And, in fact, that was the case.

If putting a man on Mars is a (supposed) TV reality show's goal and they're supplementing their budget by selling lottery tickets at $30 a pop, well, that's film-flam.
quade -

quade

Then you don't understand the scale of the two projects.

If putting a man on the Moon is a national priority and has the backing of the American tax payer, then the amount of money spent versus that base is trivial. And, in fact, that was the case.

If putting a man on Mars is a (supposed) TV reality show's goal and they're supplementing their budget by selling lottery tickets at $30 a pop, well, that's film-flam.

Noted.
Looking through a perspective, it doesn't make a difference.. I'm paying my obligations so I can think whatever I think of "going to the the Moon or Mars".
I was reffering to a comparison between 1969 and 2013 opinion of a average tax payer.
What goes around, comes later.

I was reffering to a comparison between 1969 and 2013 opinion of a average tax payer.

There is no doubt some tax payers of the time didn't think the program was worth the cost. Who cares? There will always be a faction of tax payers who think this or that program isn't "worth" the cost no matter what the program is.

My only concern is with feasibility. As a TV reality show, it simply makes no sense whatsoever and anybody buying a lottery ticket with the expectation of anyone actually landing on Mars simply has no idea of the actual costs involved and therefore buying into a scam Max Bialystock would be proud of.
quade -

MikeJD

I'll pass on the first trip, for the same reason I'm seldom in a hurry to get on the first skydiving load of the day.

Let's see where the first load lands. Or in this case, if the first load lands.

And how many people made it, if any, alive. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban