divertech

Opening for "buddy" @ 10k

LuckyMcSwervy

***I think he probably whould have if he could, but after that whould you stay mad?

You violated another jumper's TRUST. I don't care that everyone else on the load was "in" on the "joke". I'd never jump with you again. And I'd tell everyone why.

There's quite a few people I won't jump with or get on the same load with them because of 1) past personal jumping experiences with them, 2) hearing from others they're a douche bag on jumps or under canopy by way of recklessness, 3) knowing what they were doing the night before (drugs, alcohol, etc.).

What you perceive as funny could've seriously effed your friend up.

Not cool, not funny, not smart.

lol, at my old DZ there'd be nobody to jump with then

david3

I'd be okay with it from some of my close friends. I'd think it was funny as hell. Random people I jump with occasionally and other strangers, not so much.

Same here, it doesn't strike me as something that anyone WOULD do unless they were good friends with the recipient.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

FB1609

******I think he probably whould have if he could, but after that whould you stay mad?

You violated another jumper's TRUST. I don't care that everyone else on the load was "in" on the "joke". I'd never jump with you again. And I'd tell everyone why.

There's quite a few people I won't jump with or get on the same load with them because of 1) past personal jumping experiences with them, 2) hearing from others they're a douche bag on jumps or under canopy by way of recklessness, 3) knowing what they were doing the night before (drugs, alcohol, etc.).

What you perceive as funny could've seriously effed your friend up.

Not cool, not funny, not smart.

lol, at my old DZ there'd be nobody to jump with then

Don't get me started on this one. That's another thread in itself. >:(
Always be kinder than you feel.

LuckyMcSwervy

***I have made a Safety & Training thread in case anyone wants to discuss skydiving pranks in general. Nothing wrong with this thread though, for discussing the issue between the OP and his not-so-friendly-anymore buddy.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view&post=4565290

@lucky:
Nice typo:

I don't even like when someone wants to do a pink check before jump run. Unimpressed

Hey girls, want a pink check?

OMG... PIN PIN PIN PIN PIN

:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P

Got me all excited for nothing....:(
I know it just wouldnt be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet..

But do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course.

I find this similar to the hijinks played among scuba instructors Some would sneak up behind another instructor and turn off their air at the surface in the pool. No big deal, but it escalated to doing it at the quarry in 60 feet of water during open water training. I never found that funny either.

I never joined in on the scuba game and made it clear I didn't want people to mess with me.
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

DiverMike

I find this similar to the hijinks played among scuba instructors Some would sneak up behind another instructor and turn off their air at the surface in the pool. No big deal, but it escalated to doing it at the quarry in 60 feet of water during open water training. I never found that funny either.

I never joined in on the scuba game and made it clear I didn't want people to mess with me.

+1 I tell the dive boat crew do NOT touch my scuba gear. I'll set up my own rig and switch it over myself. I hate when I turn around and they're already doing it because then I look like a dick stopping them but oh well. Just happened to me last week in Cozumel but I think there was a language barrier with that one.

I tell people about my gear when we're doing the BWRAF drill. I have my dive computer on a retractable clip that crosses the front of my BCD from right to left and crosses my releases, integrated weights and a bright yellow octo. That's all you need to touch and that's for an emergency.

If someone effed with my gas I'd be livid. >:(
Always be kinder than you feel.

CSpenceFLY

***Sounds funny to me
Pulling for someone else on 'celebaration ' jumps is not uncommon here (But lower because after pulling, you're alone on your jump). Nevertherless i might be concerned by your ability to do it totally safely given your low experience.

I have a friend that was seriously injured on a jump like this.Fractured sternum and ribs from the opening because the person that was holding on to her when someone pulled for her sank out and caused a really bad body position during opening.

It's a bad idea, I've never liked it, and I would kick someones ass if they did it to me.

Pchapman has explained more or less my opinion on this. The reason why I mention the ability of the OP to do it safely is because of the risks you mentionned. I already made some jumps with this trick in mind, and never done it because the conditions were not good enough to do it.
ça passe ou ça frotte

Dumping out a buddy was a common thing before Zero-p canopies came along. We had a tight knit group with hundreds of jumps and years of friendship between us and it never was anything but fun.
The thing that hasn't been pointed out yet is that the guy doing the prank only had 130 jumps in 3 years. Why didn't anyone else on the load show any concern and possibly put a stop to it. We as a family need to look out for younger jumpers so they don't make bad decisions.
I also think that the dude being dumped out at 10k is a little thinned skinned or hasn't been apologized to correctly. The guy made a mistake, if he promises to never do it again and learned from his mistake, it should be forgiven, possibly not forgotten. I can't see losing a friend over it. Everyone does stupid stuff, it is wether we learn from it or not that counts. I think the prankster has seen the error of his ways.

How the hell did he have any idea how somebody would react to it or what the outcome would be?

By really knowing the person.

As for being dumped out being dangerous..... Uh, as an AFFI I have dumped out more people than I can recall.

he needs a bit of sense beaten into him

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

As for being dumped out being dangerous..... Uh, as an AFFI I have dumped out more people than I can recall.

1) The student knows ahead of time this is a possibility.
2) You're doing it to save their life, not fuck with them.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You're doing it to save their life, not fuck with them.

It does not change the physics of the event, only the reason.

Folks, I never said it was a GOOD idea. I said "Know your audience." Some people will laugh it off, others will want your head on a pike..... You had BETTER know the difference or not even think about it.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Ron

It also changes the risk vs reward calculation.

Dump out somebody who would have otherwise died and a strained back or neck is an acceptable risk. Do it as a "joke" and it's just stupid.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

Dump out somebody who would have otherwise died and a strained back or neck is an acceptable risk. Do it as a "joke" and it's just stupid.

Your opinion. Lots of people have done this an no one got their panties in a wad.

Like I said, know your audience. It is clear no one should ever think about doing it to you. I have had it done to me.... I laughed about it.

quade

It also changes the risk vs reward calculation.

Meh...
SIUC

dzswoop717

I also think that the dude being dumped out at 10k is a little thinned skinned or hasn't been apologized to correctly.

You may be on to something here, because maybe, I missed it, but there was an apology?

Not being privy to what they have said face to face, but on this thread, all I've read was basically the op wondering why his former buddy hasn't gotten over it already and come around to the opinion that this was just a harmless prank. Not I'm sorry, I didn't realise that it was not harmless at all, I used bad judgement, and I obviously didn't know my audience for this potentially dangerous stunt, that it wasn't appreciated because I assumed that my buddy was willing for me to take a risk with his life when he wasn't OK with it, at all.

Simply saying he won't do it again to his former buddy, is not an apology, IMO.
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

I wouldn’t want to pull for someone not expecting it, worst case scenario see the guy get unstable with a surprised look on his face and a sturdy HMA line around the neck as we separate.

In my opinion you went to far on this one, and calling it payback for whatever he have done in the past is just a bad excuse for you acting stupid. I’d start with an apology, admit I went over the line and see where it all goes from there. You need to tune in on the person you jump with.

Rule of thumb: "follow the rules and only do sneaky things with people knowing what you will put them through" ;)

Well... I'll just say I chimed in on this on the other forum and I just do not "get it". Maybe because I'm new, still scared, and more intent on longevity than making more dangerous a sport that already is dangerous but... this is lifesaving equipment that someone relies on that you're messing with. What if you do something stupid dumping a friend and you snag the bridle on them? What if they panic and lose control on open?

IMHO pranks are for the ground, safety and predictability is for the sky.

If you want to see how "normal" people react, grab someone's E-brake on the highway or cut the fuel in a small plane. Its not funny, its unplanned (even with all your prep its still not known by the primary person who NEEDS to know), and if something bad happened it would be nobody's fault but yours. Endanger your own life if you want... not mine.

So, in short... don't screw with me or my gear unless you're my AFFI ;)
You are not the contents of your wallet.