divertech

Opening for "buddy" @ 10k

DrDom

Well... I'll just say I chimed in on this on the other forum and I just do not "get it". Maybe because I'm new, still scared, and more intent on longevity than making more dangerous a sport that already is dangerous but... this is lifesaving equipment that someone relies on that you're messing with. What if you do something stupid dumping a friend and you snag the bridle on them? What if they panic and lose control on open?

IMHO pranks are for the ground, safety and predictability is for the sky.

If you want to see how "normal" people react, grab someone's E-brake on the highway or cut the fuel in a small plane. Its not funny, its unplanned (even with all your prep its still not known by the primary person who NEEDS to know), and if something bad happened it would be nobody's fault but yours. Endanger your own life if you want... not mine.

So, in short... don't screw with me or my gear unless you're my AFFI ;)

Suck it up cupcake!:D:D:D:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

It was a fairly safe prank. I would go and put the old newspaper bits into your next pack job. See how you like that, and then get me a beer or 5. And hey, at least he has got a story to tell..... OH, and all the negative remarks, you guys are all freakin noobs. Talk to the older boys, and you will find out what pranks really are.

Like dropping a whole load 20miles out, or or or...
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Talk to the older boys, and you will find out what pranks really are.

They involved some creativity in figuring out a way to have a guy pimp him or her self...

Messing with someone's rig in freefall was a bad idea then ~ it's a bad idea now. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

turtlespeed

***Well... I'll just say I chimed in on this on the other forum and I just do not "get it". Maybe because I'm new, still scared, and more intent on longevity than making more dangerous a sport that already is dangerous but... this is lifesaving equipment that someone relies on that you're messing with. What if you do something stupid dumping a friend and you snag the bridle on them? What if they panic and lose control on open?

IMHO pranks are for the ground, safety and predictability is for the sky.

If you want to see how "normal" people react, grab someone's E-brake on the highway or cut the fuel in a small plane. Its not funny, its unplanned (even with all your prep its still not known by the primary person who NEEDS to know), and if something bad happened it would be nobody's fault but yours. Endanger your own life if you want... not mine.

So, in short... don't screw with me or my gear unless you're my AFFI ;)

Suck it up cupcake!:D:D:D:D

If thats the general consensus of the sport I'm not sure I would continue in it. I'm sorry, pranks are for the ground, when its my life hanging from string and nylon I'd at least like to plan as much as possible instead of having fear someone will screw with me in the sky. I'd just go back to aviation because I worry enough on the dive... adding pranks to my worries will just not work for me.
You are not the contents of your wallet.

If this is just an ongoing account of opinions, I'll add to it.

There was nothing wrong with the prank, everyone in the air (except the prankee) knew what was happening. So what's the problem, it was funny.
Jumping is inherently risky, if you're heading up there you ought to know full well that stuff is going to go wrong eventually. If you can't handle a surprise opening in good conditions, then maybe you need to re-think how you're spending your free time. Life's hard, get a helmet.
That said, maybe you'd need to judge the intended prank victim better next time. Some folks just don't want to have too much fun, it's scary.

Von_Nosheaux

If this is just an ongoing account of opinions, I'll add to it.

There was nothing wrong with the prank, everyone in the air (except the prankee) knew what was happening. So what's the problem, it was funny.
Jumping is inherently risky, if you're heading up there you ought to know full well that stuff is going to go wrong eventually. If you can't handle a surprise opening in good conditions, then maybe you need to re-think how you're spending your free time. Life's hard, get a helmet.
That said, maybe you'd need to judge the intended prank victim better next time. Some folks just don't want to have too much fun, it's scary.

Once one gets past the chest beating 'hero' aspect of the sport, they often realize they don't have the right to purposely endanger someone else 'just because'...Hang in there you may reach that point in time! ;)

You are right, stuff goes wrong ~ pretty fucking stupid to add to that by surprising a person with ignorant immature bullshit they may not be ready for because they trusted you.

IF one can't be depended upon to look out for the welfare of fellow skydivers to at least the point of not doing something TO them that may cause a serious problem resulting in injury or death - maybe THEY should find another way to spend their time doing something.

Maybe peanut butter in the finger holes of a bowling ball?

Check out my sigline if you're unsure what trust means...:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Violence is never the answer to situations like this one. It just makes an already complex issue much worse. Not to mention the SO or PD would get involved and commence filing charges & arresting the parties involved. To the guy who got dumped, get over it. The gentleman who dumped you apologized, and he was sincere. He won't do it again.
My favorite retaliation was to wait until before they board the jumpship & pull their reserve handle. Now that's pay back although I've never done it I would if I had to.

Best-
Richard
IHS