strife

Michael Schumacher in critical condition after skiing accident

This is a serious, serious injury. I do wish the best to him.

On another thought, I don't think most people realize ho dangerous skiing is. Look at notable people who have died doing it. The dangers are so subtle that I don't think hardly anybody gets off of a lift thinking, "this run may kill me."

I know I never did.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

lawrocket

This is a serious, serious injury. I do wish the best to him.

MS will never be the same (assuming he even pulls through).

lawrocket

On another thought, I don't think most people realize ho dangerous skiing is. Look at notable people who have died doing it. The dangers are so subtle that I don't think hardly anybody gets off of a lift thinking, "this run may kill me."

I know I never did.

I am well aware of the dangers of skiing. But I did work as a volunteer ski patroller (as well as worked one year as a pro patroller) in the late 80s early 90s at Lake Louise and got a rather close in your face view of skiing accidents. Most injuries were sprained thumbs followed by injured knees and most accidents occur after lunch when the drunks got out of the bars, or occur at the end of the day on the slick intermediate slopes when people got tired and lost control. But every once in a while you could get called to a nasty accident scene and you really needed to be able to desensitize yourself to the carnage to do the job effectively.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

On another thought, I don't think most people realize ho dangerous skiing is.

When I was a kid, I skiied frequently here in my home state of Colorado. I also rode bikes. Back then, no one wore helmets.

Today, nearly everyone wears a helmet while riding a bicycle. Sadly, almost no one wears a helmet skiing. The vast majority of skiing tragedies could be stopped with this simple thing.

Also, if you ever see anyone go head-first into a snow drift or a tree well, please pull them out first, before you start laughing. One cannot breathe when his/her head is buried in snow. There's plenty of time to laugh at him/her afterwards.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

riddler

Sadly, almost no one wears a helmet skiing. The vast majority of skiing tragedies could be stopped with this simple thing.

Of course back when nickles had pictures of bears on them, nobody outside of downhill racers wore helmets, but actually a lot of people are wearing brain buckets these days. It's not mandatory, so not everyone wears them. But people do wear them, and it has been reported that Schumi was wearing a brain bucket at the time of his accident.

PS: not that he is conscious to hear this, but Happy Birthday Michael. Today is his 45th birthday.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

riddler

When I was a kid, I skiied frequently here in my home state of Colorado. I also rode bikes. Back then, no one wore helmets.

Today, nearly everyone wears a helmet while riding a bicycle. Sadly, almost no one wears a helmet skiing. The vast majority of skiing tragedies could be stopped with this simple thing.

Also, if you ever see anyone go head-first into a snow drift or a tree well, please pull them out first, before you start laughing. One cannot breathe when his/her head is buried in snow. There's plenty of time to laugh at him/her afterwards.

here in switzerland, you're really a loner if you DONT wear a helmet; i was really surprised the last time i hit the slopes, but i do go hardly anymore these days.. i really think that's a good trend actually! :)
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

virgin-burner

here in switzerland, you're really a loner if you DONT wear a helmet; i was really surprised the last time i hit the slopes, but i do go hardly anymore these days.. i really think that's a good trend actually! :)
Same here - and the best thing about skiing/ snowboarding helmets? Keep your ears warm.
Never try to eat more than you can lift

airdvr

Sounds as if he was wearing a GoPro. I wonder if the mounting could have compromised the integrity of the helmet, or worse jammed the camera into his skull.

then EVERY skydiver and BASEjumper on this planet would have a serious problem.

those helmets are rated to impacts of about 20km/h. a normal skier usually goes around 50-60km/h. not even a motorcycle helmet would let you survive a direct hit.
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

virgin-burner

***Sounds as if he was wearing a GoPro. I wonder if the mounting could have compromised the integrity of the helmet, or worse jammed the camera into his skull.

those helmets are rated to impacts of about 20km/h. a normal skier usually goes around 50-60km/h. not even a motorcycle helmet would let you survive a direct hit.

OK..I'm a bit confused.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

normiss

No, I don't believe it's you.

:D

I thought I might be having a little mini-stroke or something.;)

Do they make ski helmets that are pre-drilled for mounting stuff? I mangled a couple hard helmets mounting paralerts. I know the holes I drilled compromised the integrity a little.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

airdvr

******Sounds as if he was wearing a GoPro. I wonder if the mounting could have compromised the integrity of the helmet, or worse jammed the camera into his skull.

OK..I'm a bit confused.

you dont need to drill holes for your gopro; you just stick it on. in fact, that glue will even withstand a bridle-snag..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsEI_6cErbM

that has killed at least one BASEjumper already.

skiing helmets are rated to impacts of 20km/h; someone else do the math for you yanks. intermediate skiers are going at speeds of 50-60km/h; good skiers have speeds well in excess of 80km/h.

not even a motorcycle helmet, which are typically much heavier and better built than skiing-helmets, will have an outcome in a head/helmet hitting directly a rock, as in schumachers case.

if you still cant get it, then yes, you probably did have a stroke.

:|
-Hunter S. Thompson
-Yoda

Apparently, they are bringing him out of the induced coma.
There have been reports that he is responding to questions, but nothing confirmed or official.

But he is not in good shape, and chances for anything close to a full recovery sound pretty slim.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/jan/30/michael-schumacher-brought-out-induced-coma
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo