Mr.g

Most Jumps without a reserve ride

I’m still waiting for my first reserve ride.

Was wondering who has got the most jumps without ever taking a reserve ride.

--------------------------------------------------------

hahaha not me.....over 2800 jumps...10 reserve rides. Thats what jumping surplus store parachutes will get ya.

bozo

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I think I recall reading in Parachutist that Amy Chmelecki (at that time, anyway-- 6 months ago?) had not had a cutaway in her 3000 or so jumps. Not sure if she's never had a reserve ride, though, or if I'm even remembering correctly.

And I haven't had one either, but in 124 jumps, I don't consider that to be much of a feat.

Kelly

And I haven't had one either, but in 124 jumps, I don't consider that to be much of a feat.

Anytime you have a successful jump it's a feat. My friend Pete had 3 reserve rides when he was at 100ish jumps. In fact he had back to back cutaways on jump 38 & 39. Hehe.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Hi Mr. G,
If you jump good gear that's well maintained, and you don't do stupid things than probability is on your side. Even when you cover all your bets, you may still have a "unexplainable event!!!"

I had a couple of mals on cheapo's, one classic chop on a P.C. out of 500 P.C. jumps and on ram airs, 5 so far. Have a good reserve, a sharp hook knife and keep a cool head. Last reserve ride was in '93 and the one before that was 09SEP79 at Perris on a Viking. That was the best of the bunch!!! After that Mal, I reworked the canopy with crossports and new lines with different trim settings, opened fine after that.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

My longest streak so far was 497 jumps without a reserve ride and my current streak now stands at 246 jumps without a reserve ride. Not too bad considering I do fly a fairly highly loaded elliptical canopy. But who knows what will happen on my next jump?

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I’m still waiting for my first reserve ride.

Was wondering who has got the most jumps without ever taking a reserve ride.

My bud Pip Redvers from Z Hills has about 15,000 jumps and zero sport cutaways.

He does has one on a Strong tandem rig that someone else packed for him though.

445 and still counting. I just bought a Vengeance though. It can have a bit more exciting openings than the Stiletto. I can see having to cut this one away if I do something really stupid

Ooh, you're close to when i had my first reserve ride. Mine was jump #485. Well unless you count my 2nd tandem which was also a reserve ride.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

If it's a simple Poisson distribution (and I expect it is after the first few jumps when people might cut away stuff that they'd deal with when they have more experience) then:

36% would go 500 jumps without a reserve ride
5% would go 1500 jumps (that includes me right now)

0.1% (or 1 in 1000) would go 3,500 jumps without a reserve ride.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.