normiss

Retiring shuttles new homes

Because NYC is better than any city in Texas in every way.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sure... if you say so...
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Retirement homes

Now, how and why the fuck did NY get one as opposed to Texas?????

:S:S:S[:/]>:(

NY?? If I read the newspaper correctly, the Smithsonian museum in DC is getting Discovery, Cape Canaveral is getting one of the other two, and Los Angeles is getting the other, just miles from where it was built.

One is all over east Texas. Or was....

Bits and pieces of Challenger is probably still sitting on the ocean floor off Canaveral. I wonder where they assembled the big pieces afterwards and where they are now?

Huntsville, AL has the Pathfinder, basically a wood mock-up.

Where did Enterprise go? That's the first one, that was only used for test glides off the 747?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The space shuttle Atlantis will be displayed at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida; the Endeavour, at the California Science Center in Los Angeles; the Discovery, at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia; and the test shuttle, Enterprise, at the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York, NASA Administrator Charles F. Bolden Jr. said during a ceremony at the Kennedy Center.

For those not familiar with the Intrepid air and space museum in NYC it's a boat. I'm sure there are limits as to what can and can't be place on her deck to the structural issues related to age.
But it's nice.
Shame they will no longer will be flying and it's a gosh darn shame we lacked the moxy to replace them with another bird worthy of the post.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

NYC is getting a glider.
That's it.
And seeing how many people visit NYC it kind of works.
Life through good thoughts, good words, and good deeds is necessary to ensure happiness and to keep chaos at bay.

The only thing that falls from the sky is birdshit and fools!

Well, maybe it's time to retire them. They were amazing technological feats, but they never lived up to their touted economic predictions. The real shame, in my opinion, was dropping the capsule program to keep the U.S.'s man launch capability. Amazing that the nation that put men on the moon could give up their ability to carry men and women into low Earth orbit.:S

Seattle built a special covered shed at the Museum of Flight to house a hoped-for shuttle. Instead, we'll receive a plywood training mock up. Still cool, but I really think our town would have appreciated a real shuttle more than LA or NY. There are so many aviation buffs up here.

Well, maybe it's time to retire them. They were amazing technological feats, but they never lived up to their touted economic predictions. The real shame, in my opinion, was dropping the capsule program to keep the U.S.'s man launch capability. Amazing that the nation that put men on the moon could give up their ability to carry men and women into low Earth orbit.:S

Seattle built a special covered shed at the Museum of Flight to house a hoped-for shuttle. Instead, we'll receive a plywood training mock up. Still cool, but I really think our town would have appreciated a real shuttle more than LA or NY. There are so many aviation buffs up here.

The Space and Rocket Museum in Huntsville is about the largest there is in the world, all of it about space and rocket technology. The Pathfinder mock-up shuttle has been there probably at least 20 years. It has been the only shuttle on display. They also have a real Saturn V rocket that was surplus when NASA ended the Apollo missions and that is housed in a new building on the grounds, and it is on the register of national historic landmarks. It's a very nice museum with its own IMax theater.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

The Intrepid museum is actually an awesome place. Its the aircraft carrier Intrepid and the deck is covered with all types of aircraft. Its a perfect home for one of the shuttles, it will be seen by millions of people locals and tourists alike. If your ever in NYC its definately something to see, especially since we will soon have a shutlle! As far as limitations of the deck im sure it will all be taken into account and any structural support needed will be added, this isnt just a "boat" its an aircraft carrier!
Wait , I pull what first?

The Space and Rocket Museum in Huntsville is about the largest there is in the world, all of it about space and rocket technology. The Pathfinder mock-up shuttle has been there probably at least 20 years. It has been the only shuttle on display. They also have a real Saturn V rocket that was surplus when NASA ended the Apollo missions and that is housed in a new building on the grounds, and it is on the register of national historic landmarks. It's a very nice museum with its own IMax theater.

Yes and they have an A12 at the entrance in Huntsville (or used to) which was the predecessor or prototype to the blackbird one of the sexiest planes out there.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Personally I feel Texas - Houston in particular - has done assloads more to contribute to the space program than NY ever will.
Sure it has the tourist draw, but the space program isn't about tourism.
Texas deserves to have a shuttle. I think it would make perfect sense. NY is simply out of place in the selection.

I agree with you about Texas having done more for the space progam %100, Id bet NY has done very little for the space program. I was just saying im sure they were trying to find places were the shuttles would be enjoyed by the most people. Im also quite sure that money had a huge behind the scenes influence on the decision.
Wait , I pull what first?

I agree with you about Texas having done more for the space progam %100, Id bet NY has done very little for the space program. I was just saying im sure they were trying to find places were the shuttles would be enjoyed by the most people. Im also quite sure that money POLITICS had a huge behind the scenes influence on the decision.

FIFY

I was disappointed to see that the NMUSAF was not getting one. Considering the contributions, personnel and funding that the USAF has dumped into NASA and the already one of a kind facilities that are located there I was really hoping that Wright Patt was getting one of them. With over 300 planes, spacecraft and test planes already in the collection it seemed like the Shuttle would be a natural fit.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Well, personally obviously I think it sucks that Houston (home of Mission Control) isn't getting one. We're getting a couple of seats (woo-frickin'-hoo).

But a large criterion was exposure to maximum number of people, and NYC definitely qualifies more than Houston.

Florida doesn't necessarily qualify, but they've been fondling the shuttle for every single mission for the last 30 years. They had to get one. Only the Smithsonian had more cause to get one.

Wendy P.
(former rocket scientist)
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I wonder where they assembled the big pieces afterwards and where they are now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger_disaster

All debris is currently maintained in a sealed former underground missile silo at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Launch Complex 31.

----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.