keithbar

alone with my thoughts

I have friends who could not drive five feet without having their tunes going on their car radio often I'll often drive a dozens of miles or more without ever turning my radio on . I call it being alone with my thoughts or as I have jokingly referred to it .the voices in my head keep me well entertained sometimes people are shocked when I say that:o anyone think that's weird or normal and well im just a little unusual.;)
i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

I'm totally fine with peace and quiet and not having music or the tv on as background noise. I was irritated at my mom yesterday for the very same reason. We were alone together all day while painting a bedroom. She was chatty all frickin' day about inane stuff. ALL DAY. She would not shut up! :| I would have been fine in a quiet room. In fact, I probably would have done my trim work better if I would have been able to concentrate on it better instead of having to listen to her chatter about every family member who ever lived.

She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Amazon

***hahahah!!!!

B|;)

I WAS gonna comment,,, but I think, " Silence is Better. "

jmy

It is golden!!:ph34r:

"I've got this thing, and it's fucking golden. I'm just not giving it up for fucking nothing."
:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I'm fine with quiet, but my room mate will start fidgeting after two or three minutes.

I think I'd be fine sitting in the room in this video but a lot of people I know wouldn't last long at all in there. Perhaps it really is just a matter of your inner monologue or something. *shrug*
I'm trying to teach myself how to set things on fire with my mind. Hey... is it hot in here?

I'm not someone who likes background noise... I don't often listen to music - not unless I *activelly* listen (ie: not just whilst I'm doing something else).

I can be at home all day working on some kind of project and I really enjoy that the only thing I hear is the steady tick-tock of the clock...

I think the soundless room sounds very nice!! :)

"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

BillyVance

I could sleep in there and not know the difference. :D

I wonder if you could feel the difference, though? All the vibrations around you would be missing; you probably clue into those, everyday, and most of them you don't notice them consciously. Things like if someone is coming up behind you, or a sense of alarm in the people around you, etc...
lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Nataly

I'm not someone who likes background noise... I don't often listen to music - not unless I *activelly* listen (ie: not just whilst I'm doing something else).

I can be at home all day working on some kind of project and I really enjoy that the only thing I hear is the steady tick-tock of the clock...

That is why I enjoy living out in the foothills of the Cascades... peace and quiet... with the only sound at night the wind in the trees with a few train whistles off in the valley a few miles away. Sometimes a few coyotes will be calling to each other down in the valley in the night with their yipping.
Morning brings the sounds of birds... I have numerous Robins who nest in my fruit trees or in the spruce trees around my property. I know there are a few other species nesting around the place too. I get to hear the hummingbirds outside my window in the morning as they come to the feeders.
I enjoy the music of life... no need to spoil it.

When driving alone I like some background noise (music, podcasts, NPR). At home, though, I'm usually happy with just the noise of the world around me, though sometimes I'll put on some mellow music. Totally happy with quiet, too.

I've also noticed as I get older I'm increasingly sensitive to too much noise or too many different noises, so I'll do what I can to minimize the cacophony.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

oldwomanc6

I wonder if you could feel the difference, though? All the vibrations around you would be missing; you probably clue into those, everyday, and most of them you don't notice them consciously. Things like if someone is coming up behind you, or a sense of alarm in the people around you, etc...

Well yeah, in some ways. Depends on the floor. Sometimes the vibrations of my girls's running footsteps into my bedroom wakes me up before they start slapping me on the shoulder :D I'll also feel someone coming up behind me, again, depends on the floor type.

What really startles me every damn time, never fails, is when I'm going up the stairs to my office at the machine shop I work at, and the owner's german shepherd (a really sweet dog) starts running up the stairs behind me. Always freaks me out for whatever reason. :S:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I'm also bemused by people who need non-stop stimuli.

It's actually a mark of the less intelligent. When some people are "alone with their thoughts" they are well and truly alone.
"Pain is the best instructor, but no one wants to attend his classes"

RMK

It's actually a mark of the less intelligent.

I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it. I know a PhD who absolutely can not stand to be in a quiet room and generally has to have a conversation going if there is another person in it. If somebody isn't in the room, a radio or something will suffice, but the minute another person steps into the room there must be constant conversation. I don't think this person has simply sat in silence alone; ever.

There's almost certainly some psychological reason for this, but less intelligence isn't it.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

RMK

I'm also bemused by people who need non-stop stimuli.

It's actually a mark of the less intelligent. When some people are "alone with their thoughts" they are well and truly alone.

If in fact that is true, I guess I belong among the less intelligent. If I am on a drive or a long bicycle ride, I will be listening to talk radio or tunes. For me it seems to make me more aware of my surroundings. I would kind of drift off into a blur without that stimulus. Hmmm...maybe if I was smarter!!

skymama

I'm totally fine with peace and quiet and not having music or the tv on as background noise. I was irritated at my mom yesterday for the very same reason. We were alone together all day while painting a bedroom. She was chatty all frickin' day about inane stuff. ALL DAY. She would not shut up! :| I would have been fine in a quiet room. In fact, I probably would have done my trim work better if I would have been able to concentrate on it better instead of having to listen to her chatter about every family member who ever lived.

You might live to regret not lisiening. My mom died when I was 12 and I'd love to here her talk incessently. My aunt is 86 and I spent all last week listening to old family stories while visiting and helping her get things done around her house. .
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

***I'm totally fine with peace and quiet and not having music or the tv on as background noise. I was irritated at my mom yesterday for the very same reason. We were alone together all day while painting a bedroom. She was chatty all frickin' day about inane stuff. ALL DAY. She would not shut up! :| I would have been fine in a quiet room. In fact, I probably would have done my trim work better if I would have been able to concentrate on it better instead of having to listen to her chatter about every family member who ever lived.

You might live to regret not lisiening. My mom died when I was 12 and I'd love to here her talk incessently. My aunt is 86 and I spent all last week listening to old family stories while visiting and helping her get things done around her house. .

The best thing anybody can do to preserve family history is to document the stories your elders pass down. Next time your aunt, mom, or grandparent tells a story, record it. They'll eventually pass away, but their stories will live on.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It wasn't old family history stories, it was gossip. If you want something to remain a secret, don't tell my mother. :ph34r:
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

BillyVance

Well yeah, in some ways. Depends on the floor. Sometimes the vibrations of my girls's running footsteps into my bedroom wakes me up before they start slapping me on the shoulder :D I'll also feel someone coming up behind me, again, depends on the floor type.

What really startles me every damn time, never fails, is when I'm going up the stairs to my office at the machine shop I work at, and the owner's german shepherd (a really sweet dog) starts running up the stairs behind me. Always freaks me out for whatever reason. :S:D

That reminds me when I worked for Dreyers ice cream. We had a building maintenance guy that was deaf. I was talking to a New hire mechanic telling him,the guy could actually hear and was just playing. The deaf guy was 15 feet away in an adjoining room. So I took a 10 lb sledgehammer and hit the welding table,with it hard. The deaf guy jumped 2 feet in the air. After that the new hire thought the deaf guy was faking it.
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

I'll happily drive with or without music. If it's a long distance and it's late and I need to keep myself awake, I'll probably have talk radio on because that's a stimulus.

I don't like having loud music on in the car - I feel uneasy if I can't hear my own engine or any warnings from other motorists - and I don't much like having an incessant chatterbox in the passenger seat because I find that distracting, especially if the driving conditions are bad or it's an unfamiliar journey.

I also think that having banging tunes on in the car seems to make some people drive aggressively - or maybe that's a chicken/ egg thing.

A bit of boredom can be a wonderful thing. Some of my best thoughts and insights have come sitting at red lights with nothing to do but daydream. A bored Swiss patent clerk with a lot of daydreaming time on his hands gave us the Theory of Relativity, the result of his "thought experiments", nothing more.

The constant stimulation of our smart phones is stealing something from us we've never valued properly, moments of daydreaming, guided only by our wandering thoughts. :)