airdvr

The Imitation Game

airdvr
Weird. I just rented it. Watching the Horseman now. And that one is next. Watched Lucy last nite. Man I want some of that purple powder.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

akarunway

Watched Lucy last nite.

If you enjoyed "Lucy" I'm sorry for what I'm about to say, but I thought it was the stupidest science fiction film I'd seen in a very, very long time.

When I looked at the trailer and saw who was in it, I thought it had some promise. However, five minutes in it became clear it would be a crap fest.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

quade

***Watched Lucy last nite.

If you enjoyed "Lucy" I'm sorry for what I'm about to say, but I thought it was the stupidest science fiction film I'd seen in a very, very long time.

When I looked at the trailer and saw who was in it, I thought it had some promise. However, five minutes in it became clear it would be a crap fest.Opinions are like... Well, you know.

airdvr
Pretty good. Don't know how factual tho. How many people here study history? Do you know that the BOE, FED, BIS, Churchill and FDR conspiried to start WW2. And Lets not forget Granddaddy Bush and IBM and many others loving the killing for profit. History is written by the victors. Do a little research.

I watched The Imitation Game a couple of weeks ago and was left a bit underwhelmed.

Some aspects were good - the performances were fine, and I liked the fact that they made Turing's character so unlikeable - but I thought the script was a real clunker. Some of the dialogue was bad to the point of parody: "Love just lost the Germans the whole bloody war!"

Still, it wasn't a bad way to spend a couple of hours and my female companion enjoyed it - although it's hard to say how much of that was down to the Cumberbatch effect.

There was another movie in the '60s about the same thing, I think. Starred Christopher Plummer as a mathematician recruiting others to break a code. I don't remember the name or much else about it but I would like to see it again to compare to "Imitation."
Most of the things worth doing in the world had been declared impossilbe before they were done.
Louis D Brandeis

Where are we going and why are we in this basket?

Niki1

There was another movie in the '60s about the same thing, I think. Starred Christopher Plummer as a mathematician recruiting others to break a code. I don't remember the name or much else about it but I would like to see it again to compare to "Imitation."

"A Beautiful Mind", 2001?:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268978/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_50&_sm_au_=iMVQWZRMHnk1pSZR

How many people here study history? Do you know that the BOE, FED, BIS, Churchill and FDR conspiried to start WW2. And Lets not forget Granddaddy Bush and IBM and many others loving the killing for profit. History is written by the victors. Do a little research.

Okayyy.

Do you know who the British Prime Minister was at the start of WW2?
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Shiitake

***There was another movie in the '60s about the same thing, I think. Starred Christopher Plummer as a mathematician recruiting others to break a code. I don't remember the name or much else about it but I would like to see it again to compare to "Imitation."

"A Beautiful Mind", 2001?:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0268978/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_50&_sm_au_=iMVQWZRMHnk1pSZR

I kinda doubt it. 2001 isn't exactly the '60s, and in A Beautiful Mind Plummer is trying to convince Nash that the code breaking he thinks he's doing is really a hallucination. Sorta the opposite of recruiting;)

jakee

How many people here study history? Do you know that the BOE, FED, BIS, Churchill and FDR conspiried to start WW2. And Lets not forget Granddaddy Bush and IBM and many others loving the killing for profit. History is written by the victors. Do a little research.

Okayyy.

NC. Another political POS.

quade

***Watched Lucy last nite.

When I looked at the trailer and saw who was in it, I thought it had some promise. However, five minutes in it became clear it would be a crap fest.

+1. Except the bit about the trailer - to me it looked like a crap fest from the start. I watched it anyway - sometimes crap fests have entertainment value because they are so bad... But no... Lucy was just crap. IMO.
"There is no problem so bad you can't make it worse."
- Chris Hadfield
« Sors le martinet et flagelle toi indigne contrôleuse de gestion. »
- my boss

Nataly

******Watched Lucy last nite.

+1. Except the bit about the trailer - to me it looked like a crap fest from the start. I watched it anyway - sometimes crap fests have entertainment value because they are so bad... But no... Lucy was just crap. IMO.Suckin up to Quade are you?

akarunway

*********Watched Lucy last nite.

+1. Except the bit about the trailer - to me it looked like a crap fest from the start. I watched it anyway - sometimes crap fests have entertainment value because they are so bad... But no... Lucy was just crap. IMO.Suckin up to Quade are you?

I'm not sucking up to anyone, and I thought Lucy was a big disappointment too. From the trailer I'd hoped it might turn out to be a guilty pleasure at worst, but it wasn't even that for me.

I did kind of like its ambition, but I think it would need to have been a much smarter movie to live up to it. Scarlett Johansson has been gaining a lot of kudos with some of the parts she's been choosing lately, but I'd say this was a misstep for her - and I wish people would stop hiring Morgan 'Gravitas' Freeman just to try and lend credibility to Hollywood fluff!

akarunway

Okayyy.

So from what position was Churchill conspiring to start the war?

jakee

Okayyy.

So from what position was Churchill conspiring to start the war?You really have to do some serious online research. I ain't doing it for you.