andtheyflew

Just off student status/buying own gear..PLEASE HELP!!!

B| Hello! Falling in love with skydiving but being a novice I am very intimidated buying my own gear.....I spoke with a few friends at my DZ but they all seem to favor different manufacturers. I am torn between Aroedyne/Javelin for containers....Main canopy Sabre 2/Pilot...jumpsuits Tony or Bev????? I am a small framed female and am looking forward to equipment finally fitting me...that brings up another question...weights???? DO I get weight pockets in my container or wear a weight belt??? Helmets....always loosing my googles so I am looking at Factory Diver Full Face.....is there any draw backs to full face vs. like a Hurricane and googles???? Is the extra $$ worth it to buy ProTrack or will ProDitter do just fine. It is so difficult being NEW!!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance! Sandy

[email protected]

I'm new too and just buying my gear as well. As you have already learned, everyone favors different manufacturers and, eventually, so will we. However, you really have to get out there and try them out to see how it works for you...thus, I've been told that if you have the $$$ to demo canopies and then purchase, this can be one of the more $$ saving ways to do it (i.e. don't have to sell and buy canopies as much when downsizing).

My only advice, being the newbie that I am, is that if you have a curvey small frame (as I do) Bev suits compliment (and accomodate) us well ;).

Blue skies, be safe and have fun!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

A pro-track/ pro-ditter is just a waste of money gadget. It will condition you to respond to beeps and irritate you when it makes thoses beeps at the wrong time.

The Icon has wood dowels in the "soft" cut-away and reserve handles. Very secure grip that makes it difficult to mistake the handle for some other part of the harness. The Javelin is just as good.

Get a Smart or PD reserve. Demo main canopies until you find one you like. How much weight do you expect to be wearing? Consider that it may significantly increase your wingloading.

Buy what makes you feel comfortable. :)
Ken
"Buttons aren't toys." - Trillian
Ken

oh... if you're freeflying, go for an open face helmet and goggles. for RW, full face is preferred, because you're in closer proximity to others and are very likely to get kneed in the face.

I've got an Oxygn full face, and a Bonehead Guner openface. I use the full face for RW, and the open face for hop n pops and stuff. Most people at my DZ seem to prefer Z1 helmets for fullface, as the visor opens, like the oxygn, but it has a latch to secure it, which the oxygn lacks. since the factory diver has a fixed visor and you can't open it, take that into consideration. Pick a helmet that fits your head well. Each brand has a different feel to it.

Pick a helmet that fits your head well. Each brand has a different feel to it.

I definitely second that. I've already wasted a few pretty pennies on brand new helmets that I didn't try on before buying. Go to a good gear store before you pick which one you want, they do all fit very differently. Personally, I love the feel of the wind on my face but also grimace at the thought of a 120mph knee to the nose B|

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky..." - Jimi Hendrix

I'll make your life easy. Forget all the choices. Get these:

Javelin Odyssey
Sabre2
PD Reserve
Neptune (use as visual)

...for RW:
- Bev suit
- Any full face that fits

...or for freeflying:
- Firefly suit (2-piece)
- Bonehead Ratface

How's that for simple? Why do I recommend these? Because you'll be selling most of it in less than 200 jumps. The above mentioned items will sell quickly. Then you'll have the experience, and the money, to decide what you want.

Edited to add: Also, on your first rig, screw colors. Get the closest thing to the door. Selling each item individually will make matching colors irrelevant. And buy it all from Square 1. They will make your life easier. They'll give you an awesome deal and stand behind the products they sell. No, I don't work for them or have any incentive to promote them. I've just found that they are very easy to work with. You make one phone call and place one order. Done.
"¯"`-._.-¯) ManBird (¯-._.-´"¯"

Click

Fortunately the DZ where I jump has a gear store with a great demo program. I was able to put down a deposit for new gear and jump with no rental fee for 6 mo./100 jumps, then the rental fee was only $50 per mo. till I ordered gear. Then once I ordered gear no more rental fee although I can keep demoing their gear until mine arrives (any day now). I was able to demo a lot of different containers and canopies, and downsize to a canopy that I will be happy jumping for many jumps. I decided on an Infinity container, Smart reserve & Pilot main. You really should demo and see what you like best. I've got the Aviator open face helmet and Oxygn full face. My jumpsuite is a Bev suit, which I love. I use a pro-track, mainly to keep track of my jumps and check my speed. As for weights, I use a weight belt (maxed out at 18 1/2 lbs.) AND I had weight pockets added to my rig so that I can add more weight.

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing ~ Helen Keller

I guess the only thing I'd advise against is buying all new, unless you're a millionaire, which is possible. :)too used, and get your rigger to inspect it before committing to a purchase.

Good luck! Have fun! B|

Kelly

What she said ^^ ! You're gonna outgrow your stuff so quick, why bother with new gear? I'm finally getting new gear, you can buy my setup in a couple months (the container and reserve anyhow):P.

Seriously, check out the classifieds! Good deals, pictures, and for the most part honest people who will send things to your rigger for inspection. Sure as heck save you some $$ up front, and resale on used stuff won't hurt as bad cuz you won't lose as much $$.

If you must have new gear (which i'm NOT recommending), manbird has the right idea, get stuff that you can sell quick! Think popular brands, most new jumpers seem to go for Javelin.

Angela.

But the container doesn't have to be upgraded does it? While I'd be happy to get the canopies used with the notion that I'm likely to downsize one to two more steps in the relatively near future, the rig should still be fine, no?

Buying that used seems very difficult, mostly in terms of sizing, and a bit in terms of the available supply. Reading the classifieds I can't even tell. Seems like used there would be much easier via a dealer.

But the container doesn't have to be upgraded does it? While I'd be happy to get the canopies used with the notion that I'm likely to downsize one to two more steps in the relatively near future, the rig should still be fine, no?

Containers are made to fit specific volumes of canopy in the main tray. In general, the container will be a good fit for the size canopy it was made for and will take one size either way...

Oh, and if you buy off the shelf stuff with the thought of selling it in a coupla hundred jumps, be careful what colours you choose... Look at Remi's canopy for a lesson in how to limit your target audience. :P:D:D

Edited for clarity

For resale value, stick with the top ten brands and simple colors. You can always resell a black rig.

As for weights, order you new Javelin, etc. with two sets of weight pockets in the backpad: high and low.
Weight vests and belts are just interim steps until you and your coach figure out exactly how many pounds you need, then let your harness carry the lead. Sewn in weight pockets cost about the same as vests, but will reduce wear and tear on your shoulders, especially at opening time. They are easy to install during production and a pain after the fact.

Definitely agree with most of what has been said here. DO NOT buy new. The harness is only made to suit differences up to a point including canopy and reserve sizes. When I bought new with everything I thought was perfect for me I still changed after some time for something smaller. Also make sure the second hand gear suits your body size to at least be comfortable. You do lose out not buying new and custom made to your height and size but it is worth it not losing the money buying new then selling shortly after. DO stick to the most popular gear manufacturers. Basically do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions with the experienced guys and girls and instructors and they will lead you in the right direction. BSBD -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I like the idea of buying used. I know being a smaller female it makes it kinda hard to find gear but even still it shouldn't be a big problem.

I freefly but I've seen a lot of people at my DZ jump full face even when they FF. So to kill two birds with one stone get the full face...unless you're certain you want to go into FFing.

The ProTrack and Dytter I'd say you can find good deals if you look around. They are just extras though. You shouldnt need a dytter or protrack if you are altitude aware. I confess ever since I got my protrack I look at my altimeter half as much.

I can tell you that a pilot flies similar to the Sa2 and it's cheaper...but PD is probably one of the finest companies I've ever dealt with in my life...and I'm a consultant and have the opportunity to deal with a lot of companies. That being said, I paid the extra money and went with PD because of their service. So yeah that answers the Reserve question too. PD-R is the way to go.

Jump suits are great to buy new because they will be measured to fit you...decide on FF or RW before you buy your jumpsuit though. If you decide on FF consider Ouragan Suits. I think they're excellent and very purty too. :)

I'm a low number jumper like you but I research like a madman when I make purchases. I must have demoed 8 different canopies before going with the Sa2. And for my buying a helmet came down to my sheer head size not allowing me to purchase any helmet other than the mindwarp.

As far as goggles falling off...I wear gatorz under my open face and they don't fall off. :)

Have fun small framed female skydiver.
--joe
HISPA #69
The Best Band in the WORLD!!!
The new full length album "See What You Can Find"

So to kill two birds with one stone get the full face...unless you're certain you want to go into FFing.

My advice would be just the opposite. Buy an open face helmet first regardless of what discipline you intend to pursue.

I use my Aviator for 95% of my jumps - freefly, RW, wingsuit, hop and pops, even wore it in the tunnel. I use my fullface only for smaller RW jumps (ie piece turnin' four way).

Besides, it's impossible to give or get a kiss pass in a full face helmet. :D

I'd agree with that. well, then again, even better idea would be to hang on to your student pro-tek, assuming you had plunked down 25 bucks to buy one like most students tend to. put another 50 jumps on it. it does the job just as well.

and i'll be the 100th person to suggest that buy everything used for now. as you gain experience and knowledge, you will know exactly what you want and need. i'd bet after another 50 jumps or so, and lurking in dz.com, you will have your own answers to all the questions you had posted.

as someone already pointed out, stick with top brands in case you want to re-sell them. and demo, if possible, as many brands as you can.

===============

Sandy:

We almost lost two novice jumpers who lost altitude awareness. Both were injured landing two-out, one serious. Please be careful with moving right into an audible. I'm not saying don't do it, but be very cautious with becoming accustomed to listening for the beeps.