superstu

lowest pulled

A 3 way almost bounced at Pretorie Skydiving Club (South Africa) a few years ago...nobody had an alti but everybody thought someone had one.
Nobody had a cypress or audible and 2 jumpers saw the ground at about 700 ft pulled and was open under canopy at about 300ft the last guy Robert V Staden pulled his main out of reflex probably at about 300ft...ther canopy opened quite quick and as it inflated he hit the ground.If there was a littlest of sniffel that was it.
He didnt brake anything but was as white as snow.
Stopped skydiving a little while after that.
I've waited for the jumpmaster to give the wave of on a CAT3 attempt that went a bit low and was open under canopy ay 1300 ft and that was very very scary...always dump on 3000 ft...one day i might need it. i know a guy that always pulled under a 1000ft every weekend ...packed his main like a reserve every time though.(Gary Epdon)

I jump with two audibles and an alti..and have no intension to pull lower than 3000 ft.

All the best and happy landings.
If at first, the idea is not absurd, then there is no hope for it

I pulled at 2300' during AFF. Couldnt find my ripcord (which, as it turned out was in the pocket the whole time). I tried 3 times, got it on the third. As soon as I was under canopy I was just mad at myself for trying more than twice. I was jumping with the DZO on that jump, he has over 20,000 jumps. When he debriefed me all he said was "I'm gonna have to rouse on you for that ripcord pull". I was madder at myself than he was at me, plus I felt bad for making him go low too.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

well my lowest.......was at the an un-named boogie "worlds largest" and was videoing....well had a hard pull got my pilot chute out just after my screamer...pro-track recorded opening at 700ft.

hahah what a rememberance......that was in 03...this year in 04...well...i had to out do it......just read my sig line :S
"Professor of Pimpology"~~~Bolas

dude, don't take this personally, rather see it as a public service announcement

Dude, the post you are replying to is almost 2 years old.

Nov 8, 2002, 1:35 AM

Besides, are you or are you not forgetting about the +/- 250 feet?

Would you also like to explain the low fires?

How about the ones we hear have heard about that never did fire and/or fired to late to save the person?
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Dude, the post you are replying to is almost 2 years old.

Nov 8, 2002, 1:35 AM

Besides, are you or are you not forgetting about the +/- 250 feet?

Would you also like to explain the low fires?

How about the ones we hear have heard about that never did fire and/or fired to late to save the person?

yeah, I knew it was old, but having been one of those people who used to think that your Cypres won't fire if you're open before 750ft, I thought I'd post it anyway and maybe point out something useful to someone that didn't already know

I'm aware of the +/- 250, but didn't want the post to get too protracted

low Cypres fires - never heard of any except the one where the LZ was 250ft above the airport and the only dude on a 4 way with a Cypres didn't set it for the difference...
as for possible causes, there are many, as the Cypres uses airpressure to calculate altitude and fallrate, it is sensitive to anything that would affect the air pressure that the Cypres reads

I haven't heard of any Cypres that was maintained, turned on and set correctly that fired too low to save the jumper - if you have please give some details, I'm sure many people would like to be aware of that.

just trying to save some people the cost of a replacement cutter and a repack.... ;)

soon to be gone

one

OK, I know there are more, and one for sure I kno of that did end in a fatality, but I can't find it right now.

RevJim
that was an interesting thread, containing everything from flirting to religion to people ripping each other for their lack of spelling and grammatical ability.... :P

some relevant information, too, but not much... [:/]

I don't know why almost everyone seems to place the responsibility for an open reserve at a safe altitude ENTIRELY on the Cypres. :S

This is wrong in so many ways.

All it will claim to do, is initiate reserve deployment by cutting the loop/s at approx 750 ft.

I'd love for someone from Airtec or SSK to post all about the arming and firing altitudes, and all the stats they have from those Cypres fire report cards that come with replacement cutters, as I believe too many skydivers do not understand just how and when their Cypres will (or will not) activate.

I do not understand why they do not consider the other variables in the system:
-body position
-condition of equipment
-compatibility of equipment
-quality of reserve packjob and reserve PC 'packing'

a Cypres will not know to fire at a higher altitude if you're jumping a reserve that's too tight in the container, with a slack loop of the wrong material....

I'm not saying a Cypres is perfect, far from it, it's a man-made electronic/mechanical device and prone to variation as such.

I see far more opportunity for man-made variation in the reserve packjobs and how skydivers operate their Cypres as well as what 'attitude' they find themselves in when their Cypres fires.

that's just my long-winded 2 cents :)
later
sam

edited to add: I also find it interesting how many 'anti'-Cypres folk do not notice that Cypres units have saved quite a few skydivers that did not even have them installed, by activating a jumper's reserve while they're still in formation and letting the non-Cypres wearing jumper/s know that they should pull NOW! :o (there's some of those stories in this very thread) - give credit where it's due, Cypres saved those jumpers too

maybe this should get split off and moved to Safety and Training or Gear and Rigging or something?

soon to be gone

I don't know why almost everyone seems to place the responsibility for an open reserve at a safe altitude ENTIRELY on the Cypres.

I don't. In fact, I bring up these points just so people can make educated choices.

I am neither Pro AAD nor Anti AAD. I sit on the fence most of the time.

I agree with the statement you do not need one, but disagree with the statement everone should have one.

I agree that they may save your life, but I disagree that they should be relied on, at all, period.

All those "A CYPRES may have prevented this fatality" statements irk me, and I think that every one of them should also state that a CYPRES may NOT have prevented this fatality.

I would have no problem putting an AAD in my rigs, if I saw a definate need for one. I do not as of now.

In fact, the suit I fly now can easily be flown under the CYPRES operating parameters. If I fly myself into the ground in my Bird-Man suit, is my accident report going to say "A CYPRES may have prevented this fatality", or will it be realistic and state that I had no CYPRES, as it would not have helped me anyway?

all I ask is that people make up their own minds, after hearing all sides.
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

About 700ft unintentionally.....
Got a bit of a fright :o

Yeah, I've been down there. Found myself sitflying through a grand, flipped on my belly, waved off & dumped my main. A definite pucker-factor jump. It seems the size of my eyes is directly proportional to the size of the ground. :o

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

For me it was 2300 ft. on my 17th jump. We were doing a 5-way, I was also inexperienced at 17 jumps, but had a lot of tunnel time so was OK with a 5-way. We broke at 4k--I tracked away, then looked around to pull and one of the other jumpers in the 5-way was right below me, he tried free-flying after we broke and wasn't very good and instead of going the opposite direction, went my direction, then dumped right under me w/out looking.

I tried to haul bootie and tracked away when I saw him deploy his pilot chute. By the time I was in the clear and pulled, it was 2,300 ft.

It's not that low, but it was low enought for me. The DZ manager yelled at me when I landed, but then the other jumpers in the 5-way came to my defense regarding the other guy. :P

That might even have been one of my last belly-dives, too. :P;):)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

When I only had around 50 jumps or so, I did a 2-way RW dive with a friend of mine. She had probably about 150 jumps at the time. This is way back before the days of AAD's being commonly used by up-jumpers and ditters. We both should have known better but got carried away chasing each other around and took it to about 1,400ft. Pretty silly!

on jump #24 before i got my A so i was still on student status. I was jumping someone elses pro-track to see how fast i could in my arch and didn't use my wrist mount like i should have. as a result i lost awareness and opened at 2300. that scared me into opening at 4500-4000 for a few more jumps!

on jump #88 i did my presecond chopper jump at wffc. Tossed just a tad below 2000 feet, but gimp opened lower. :o He was a lucky monkey
I swear you must have footprints on the back of your helmet - chicagoskydiver
My God has a bigger dick than your god -George Carlin

In response to the freefly launched from 3500 vid in general .............................bump:D

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

Mine was a missed handle in the winter( read gloves) Pitched at 1800, in the saddle about 1400. Much pucker factor that day. I'd recently got my B license, and thought it a good idea to pitch at 2500. Not anymore.:P

What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

fun jump: not sure... saddled in around 900. must have pitched around 1400
demo: 1800 (right off the step... don't tell the feds
large formation world record jump: 1600 (too many people in freefall above me... I learned much about tracking that weekend)
--
Rob