brenthutch

Sous vide

Just finished a brisket, AMAZING! Perfectly done, full of flavor and ridiculously moist. I am now four for four since getting a sous vide cooker. Steak, chicken, pork chop (best I have ever had) and now brisket. I thought my egg smoker was the sh*t but this is even better. If you are an aspiring cook, check it out.

brenthutch

Just finished a brisket, AMAZING! Perfectly done, full of flavor and ridiculously moist. I am now four for four since getting a sous vide cooker. Steak, chicken, pork chop (best I have ever had) and now brisket. I thought my egg smoker was the sh*t but this is even better. If you are an aspiring cook, check it out.

Fuck that. Throw a big tri tip on the bbq with oak, mesquite and hickory chips. Lazy bastards don't know real cooking anymore.
I hold it true, whate'er befall;
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
'Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all.

Lazy bastards don't know real cooking anymore.

Restaurant chefs have been using sous vides for quite some time. They became popular with home cooks a few years ago. Do some research on it to understand how it works. It has nothing to do with being lazy, it has everything to do with stepping up the quality of your finished product.

To the OP: my favorite is scallops in the sous vide. They melt in your mouth like buttah!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

That's the one we have.
No complaints, works well, cleans up easy, takes up very little space.

I think the Chef Steps model is interesting too, especially the free standing design.

Then picking a proper vacuum sealing bag system is next.
We went cheap with the FoodSaver brand - sometimes challenging with liquids and very moist foods is my only complaint.

I got a Gourmia, makes some noise in the wearer level gets low, but it is very easy to use. Unlike my smoker (which I love BTW), you can leave it unintended for a day or two. Another advantage is that your "window of done" is measured in hours not minutes. On the downside, it takes longer than traditional methods and you can't brag about your mad culinary skills because it is so easy. A child can make a perfect brisket with ten minutes of prep.

Yeah, I have a controller for my egg smoker, it makes holding 225 much easier then messing with the intake and exhaust valves. Don't get me wrong I love my smoker and would never sous vide a pork butt. (I would have my man card pulled). Sous vide is just another tool in the arsenal.

I've been thinking of getting one. It's half the price of the competition. I'm not really into paying twice as much just so it can be controlled by an app. It looks like a winner to me.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Fully agreed.
I wasn't happy with reverse searing sous vide steak though, so I find I've been selective on what to use the sous vide for.
My favorite use of it is that leftover pile of smoked meats because I loaded the smoker since it was going, then vac-pac and freeze those leftovers, then use the sous vide to reheat to 165.
Amazing that it's actually as fresh as when first cooked.

The app for the Annovo is pretty weak IMO, the thumbwheel to set temp is easier than searching for the recipe to send the signal to set the temp.

My collection of grills is crazy.
Lodge Sportsman's cast iron grill, Weber 22 and the smaller jumbo joe, an egg smoker, and I just bought a Camp Chef gas cooker with a flat top griddle and a grill box for the camper - it's surprising to me how well this thing cooks for a gas grill, I've never liked gas for grilling.

akarunway

***Just finished a brisket, AMAZING! Perfectly done, full of flavor and ridiculously moist. I am now four for four since getting a sous vide cooker. Steak, chicken, pork chop (best I have ever had) and now brisket. I thought my egg smoker was the sh*t but this is even better. If you are an aspiring cook, check it out.

Fuck that. Throw a big tri tip on the bbq with oak, mesquite and hickory chips. Lazy bastards don't know real cooking anymore.

I mostly make use of my Gaggenau combi (steam plus convection) oven. Adding humidity to the cooking chamber makes things cook faster, especially meats since they are not being cooled by their own evaporation. Ever notice how meat temperature rises very slowly, then quite a bit faster as it gets done? More of a linear rise with a combi oven, or in sous vide. Also keeps them as moist as you like, and puts a nice crust on either meat or bread.

Stumpy

I kinda like the idea of sous vide and its "foolproofness" but also feel it kinda takes the soul and the fun out of cooking.

+1. I'm kinda proud of the fact that it takes me three days to prepare my brisket, with barbecue sauce made from scratch. Melts like butter, but holds its shape for good sandwiches. :P
See the upside, and always wear your parachute! -- Christopher Titus

Shut Up & Jump!

I've always been interested in trying this, but don't have patients for anything that takes more than 30 min to make.

My question is how does this work with fish? Salmon, Trout, etc...

Any recommendations there?

Is it possible to put something in in the morning, and via automation have it done when you get back from work 10 or 12 hours later?

AlanS

I've always been interested in trying this, but don't have patients for anything that takes more than 30 min to make.

Is it possible to put something in in the morning, and via automation have it done when you get back from work 10 or 12 hours later?

Yes, yes and yes. If you Google sous vide recipes, a lot of them are for fish
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

***I've always been interested in trying this, but don't have patients for anything that takes more than 30 min to make.

Yes, yes and yes. If you Google sous vide recipes, a lot of them are for fish

Nice.... I'm in. Now the next question is which model to get. From my preliminary research it looks like these two are good options.

#1) Anova Culinary

#2) ChefSteps CS10001 Joule Sous Vide, White/Stainless

And I was floored when these model said they have WiFi. So that leads to my next question.

Is it possible to control this from a phone app while at work? My biggest issue is after work I'm just too tired to make something, but if I could control this with my phone and perhaps start it right before I start my commute home, that would be awesome.

So to those that have this, is that possible?

AlanS

No more than 30 minutes for fish. Pork chops and steaks no more than two hours. Sous vide and sear, best steaks and pork chops ever.

brenthutch

I got a Gourmia, makes some noise in the wearer level gets low, but it is very easy to use. Unlike my smoker (which I love BTW), you can leave it unintended for a day or two. Another advantage is that your "window of done" is measured in hours not minutes. On the downside, it takes longer than traditional methods and you can't brag about your mad culinary skills because it is so easy. A child can make a perfect brisket with ten minutes of prep.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just bought a Gourmia for my girlfriend. It arrives Monday and yes that gift might be a little self-serving.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

normiss

The Anova is bluetooth, not wifi.
To me, it's really a worthless feature.
You set the temperature you want, and leave it alone for 45 minutes to 72 hours on some recipes.

A few months ago I bought a NEST Thermostat. The best thing about it is controlling the temperature with my phone. During the day I can check the setting and adjust it as needed. But best of all is I can turn the temperature back up while on the commute home. I love that feature.

It would be great if I could have dinner cooked when I got home too.

Your right bluetooth is useless on the ANova, it needs to be WiFi. Looks like that leaves ChefStep as having that option.

It says...

"Controlled by a free mobile app, or you can use your voice with Amazon Alexa. Guided recipes and exclusive features like Visual Doneness guarantee great results."

I don't see the point of Alexa controlling it, but a phone to start it before my drive home would be great. Has anyone tried that? If that really works, that is a great feature.

brenthutch

***I've always been interested in trying this, but don't have patients for anything that takes more than 30 min to make.

No more than 30 minutes for fish. Pork chops and steaks no more than two hours. Sous vide and sear, best steaks and pork chops ever.

Great to know, I've got some trout waiting. I'm going to try sous vide. Just need to figure out which product to buy.

normiss

The Anova is bluetooth, not wifi.
To me, it's really a worthless feature.
You set the temperature you want, and leave it alone for 45 minutes to 72 hours on some recipes.

According to their website, Anova has a wifi one now. Released early last year sometime. It would be handy to start a 2 hour cook 1.5 hours before you got home.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".