Namowal

Noob Cartoons: Skydiving Duck

Sorry for the delay between posts. Bad weather and car issues have kept me grounded the last few weeks.[:/]

I'm hoping to take care of AFF level 8 tomorrow (Saturday).

In the meantime, here's one of my older cartoons, based on a nightmare I had. I drew it before my skydiving days, but it does take place up in the air, and there's some (brief) free falling.

Looks more like a bad trip :P
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Congrats on finishing AFF! I'm happy to see that the door monster isn't as frightening as it used to be. It's also great to see skydiving duck with a smile in freefall.
"I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things." - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Congrats on finishing AFF! I'm happy to see that the door monster isn't as frightening as it used to be. It's also great to see skydiving duck with a smile in freefall.

Thanks, mrubin.
I've gotten to the point where freefall actually seems fun.
(Don't worry, I still keep an eye on the altimeter!)
My blog with the skydiving duck cartoons.

congrats also on passing AFF.

Now onto solos, coach dives, and packing your own parachute.

Have fun. You are almost there :)

Thanks guineapiggie101!

Say, how did your first solo go? Are you really 100% unsupervised? I know the drop and landing are solo, and you have to put the info in the log book etc.., but does anyone check with you about your dive plans? Not that I'm planning anything weird...:)

congrats also on passing AFF.

Now onto solos, coach dives, and packing your own parachute.

Have fun. You are almost there :)

Thanks guineapiggie101!

Say, how did your first solo go? Are you really 100% unsupervised? I know the drop and landing are solo, and you have to put the info in the log book etc.., but does anyone check with you about your dive plans? Not that I'm planning anything weird...:)

You are still a student. You should still have an instructor give you suggestions for your dive plan and go over it with you.
You should also have an instructor go over the jump afterwards. You still need to get the jump signed off.

Oh yeah...
Wait until the first time you jump your own pack job.

Mr Fear will have a lot of fun on that ride up. :)

Edit: As always, check with your instructors on what they want, expect and are going to do.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You are still a student. You should still have an instructor give you suggestions for your dive plan and go over it with you.
You should also have an instructor go over the jump afterwards. You still need to get the jump signed off.

I'm definitely still a student. :$ I am (or was) under the impression that I was on my own for this, but would have to find an instructor to sign the logbook afterwards.
Or did you mean I should find an instructor to go over the dive plan even if I don't officially have someone assigned to me?

Oh yeah...

That will be an experience, both going up and the way down!

I'm definitely still a student. :$ I am (or was) under the impression that I was on my own for this, but would have to find an instructor to sign the logbook afterwards.
Or did you mean I should find an instructor to go over the dive plan even if I don't officially have someone assigned to me?

Oh yeah...

That will be an experience, both going up and the way down!

I don't know how Elsinore works (again: Check with your instructors), but when I was on solo student status, I still had to have an instructor get me a rig from the student gear, go over the dive plan, manifest me and double check that I had the gear on right. I couldn't just grab a rig and manifest myself.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I don't know how Elsinore works (again: Check with your instructors), but when I was on solo student status, I still had to have an instructor get me a rig from the student gear, go over the dive plan, manifest me and double check that I had the gear on right. I couldn't just grab a rig and manifest myself.

At Elsinore, students are pretty much on their own. Instructors or experienced divers may check in with students in varying levels of detail (from full-on diveplan review and gear check, to just making sure they know the exit order, how much time to give before exiting, and checking their pull altitude) -- but they may not. If a solo student wants help or has questions, I'm sure (s)he will find plenty of helpful instructors and experienced divers alike at Elsinore. But the student needs to speak up, and should not assume that people are watching out for them. (At least, this is how things worked as of a few years ago, and how it still seems to work now.)

Also, if students are getting bored with doing belly jumps and are going to try radically different things (like sit-flying), PLEASE check with your instructors first. There are things to worry about like whether the rig is freefly friendly, backsliding up jumprun, and the like, which often does not occur to the solo student.

At Elsinore, students are pretty much on their own. Instructors or experienced divers may check in with students in varying levels of detail (from full-on diveplan review and gear check, to just making sure they know the exit order, how much time to give before exiting, and checking their pull altitude) -- but they may not. If a solo student wants help or has questions, I'm sure (s)he will find plenty of helpful instructors and experienced divers alike at Elsinore. But the student needs to speak up, and should not assume that people are watching out for them. (At least, this is how things worked as of a few years ago, and how it still seems to work now.)

That's how I thought it went: that I was technically unsupervised but should check with the instructors for details- upper wind speed, pin check, etc..

Also, if students are getting bored with doing belly jumps and are going to try radically different things (like sit-flying), PLEASE check with your instructors first. There are things to worry about like whether the rig is freefly friendly, backsliding up jumprun, and the like, which often does not occur to the solo student.

Don't worry, I wouldn't try anything funny up there. :)

I did my first solo right after passing my AFF 8 jump. People (including my instructor) suggested I do that.

First solo was pretty fun. You realize how much time you have up there, when you don't have "tasks" to perform and someone watching and grading you on the completion of those tasks.

It is advisable to talk over your jump plans with an instructor. That way they can provide you with some input and give you suggestions and advice. Also, after you do your solo jump, you will have to fill out the logbook and get an instructor to sign off on your jump.

Enjoy your first solo. It IS a lot of funB|

Ghost47's suggestions are very spot on.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

This is so much fun for me. I never went through AFF (I'm an old broad), so all this is new. I'm an artist, as well, so seeing your cartoon is enjoyable, too.

At first, it struck me as another new skydiver hyped up on the first jump with a cartoon to boot. I thought this couldn't last very long 'til we were all bored silly.

Well, SILLY ME! :$

I have been looking forward to both the story and the cartoon since the second episode.

Keep it up, and keep 'em coming :)

lisa
WSCR 594
FB 1023
CBDB 9

Don't worry, I wouldn't try anything funny up there.

You say that now, but after 11 solo jumps, you may get a bit bored ;) I know it's hard to imagine, but there may come a time when jumping out of an airplane will be less exciting than it currently is. And I think that's when students think, well, why don't I try sit-flying, that looks cool!

If you haven't already, talk to your instructors about exit order, how much time to give the group before you, and the dangers of tracking up or down jump run.

Then knock those jumps out, get your A, and we'll look forward to seeing the skydiving duck doing RW!

Don't worry, I wouldn't try anything funny up there. :)

you SHOULD, but run it past a trusted instructor first.:)
There's a load of "funny" stuff you can do which is relatively safe.;)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

At first, it struck me as another new skydiver hyped up on the first jump with a cartoon to boot...

Well, back then, I suppose that's what it was. When I drew the pre-AFF comic, it was to amuse my pals ("Hey, look what I did!"). I was interested in AFF, but didn't think I had the nerve to try it. Even when I started AFF I wasn't sure I could complete it. Surly I'd reach a threshold where it got too scary (or difficult) for me....:$
I think the support I got on the forums helped keep me going.B|

I have been looking forward to both the story and the cartoon since the second episode.

Keep it up, and keep 'em coming :)

Really? Thanks!B|

Don't worry, I wouldn't try anything funny up there.

You say that now, but after 11 solo jumps, you may get a bit bored ;) I know it's hard to imagine, but there may come a time when jumping out of an airplane will be less exciting than it currently is. And I think that's when students think, well, why don't I try sit-flying, that looks cool!

If you haven't already, talk to your instructors about exit order, how much time to give the group before you, and the dangers of tracking up or down jump run.

Then knock those jumps out, get your A, and we'll look forward to seeing the skydiving duck doing RW!

Well, you have a point there. I can see a student getting board and trying a stunt that might stress the equipment, put them in the path of other jumpers, etc...
I promise I'll run any ideas I get past the instructors. (I want to live to make more jumps.)

Enjoy your first solo. It IS a lot of funCool

Ghost47's suggestions are very spot on.

Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Thanks!

Solo dives are the best.

You may think so now but very soon you will want to jump and see another person in the sky with you. Flying relative to another person will show you what effect moving your arms and legs does to move closer or further from your partner. That's why it is called "relative work", forget the current politically correct term "formation skydiving".

It's just what you did during your AFF training but now the pressure to perform will not be present. You can screw up a skydive and still have a blast in the air. Just remember to look at your altimeter and have fun, and think about what it must be like to have seven(!) other people in the air with you.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

I've read you're cartoons from the get go and I get emotional over every one they are sooo awesome.

I can't help feeling that there are a few more that you did not include in this thread,

I remember you had one where there were cute female skybirds who were super confident and you admired them...maybe on your cat b jump...

Am I crazy or are there 1 or 2 cartoons that your are not including in this thread?:PB|;):)

Congrats! :)As far as I could see from the vid you did OK so far. Could present your belly and chest to the relative wind a little better but looked much better than my first dive exit did, I'm sure :)

You'll have a lot of fun jumping solo and will have much much much more fun once you will be cleared for jumping with others B|

Looking forward to more of your cartoons. And yes, the first jump on your own pack job... can't wait to see it on Tail O' the Rat :P

The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

I remember you had one where there were cute female skybirds who were super confident and you admired them...maybe on your cat b jump...

Am I crazy or are there 1 or 2 cartoons that your are not including in this thread?:PB|;):)

Well, the cartoons about my tandem were divided into two parts (a link at the bottom of part one). Is this what you're looking for?:)

Congrats! :)As far as I could see from the vid you did OK so far. Could present your belly and chest to the relative wind a little better but looked much better than my first dive exit did, I'm sure :)

Heck, I'm just glad I didn't flop around like a tumble weed. (Before the jump I asked the instructor if an accidental front roll counted as the forward loop, but he said no.;))
Too bad there's not a safe and efficient way to exit the plane and be hauled back in again, so you could get extra practice.

Looking forward to more of your cartoons. And yes, the first jump on your own pack job... can't wait to see it on Tail O' the Rat :P

Heh heh. I suspect the Fear and Inner Critic characters will have a field day with that one!

Heh heh. I suspect the Fear and Inner Critic characters will have a field day with that one!

I can imagine things like "Waaah, you're gonna get hurt, don't jump" and "No way this messy pack job will open at all", thought-balloons like "After all, I can chop it, at least the reserve will open just fine" and finally "Wooooh! It has opened just the way it was meant to - why was I so anxious?" B|:)B|

Wish you lotta fun for your next jumps. Weather permitting (which is just the problem in Thuringian winter) I should also be able to do some occasional fun jumps but apart from that I'm sort of envious you can jump :P
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks