Coreefdiver

Did your home DZ participate in USPA Safety Day?

I'm not sure if my DZ knows that "safety day" actually exists. I heard 3rd hand (as in, from a jumper who heard from another jumper on the trailer) that we banned hook turns over 90 degrees except over the pond. Nobody in manifest or any of the other staff seems to have bothered to actually tell anyone though. Someone on my last load got grounded for a month for doing a 270 and it was the first time he had ever heard about the rule. Also they apparently raised jump prices by a dollar and offered jump packages for a 3 day window beforehand but didn't actually advertise it so almost nobody was able to take advantage before the jump ticket hike. Must be nice being the only turbine DZ in the area and not having to compete or provide good customer service to retain jumpers... Who needs safety day anyway? Our last fatality was way back in December and I'm sure just implementing an unannounced blanket ban of >90 degree hook turns will suffice :|

http://www.mixcloud.com/prajna
http://vimeo.com/avidya

Skydive Elsinore and Perris both had great turnouts; Both had Jay Stokes presenting Fatality Reports and discussions on canopy collisions.

Skydive Elsinore's hanging harness was busy with Jonathan Tagle at the helm, along with other instructors. Wingsuits, CRW, RW, FF were all represented well in our evening sessions. The day was filled with jumping and Safety Day activities. Lob also brought in a new angle; having a skydiver recovering from a low turn speak about his recovery process, sharing lots of Xrays and stories of his ordeal.

wow I was jumping both sat and sunday and didn't hear or see any new "rules" on hook turns. There were lots of people not over the pond (more like multiple puddles) coming down more than 90. But I did take advantage of the 19$ jump price:)

I should chime in on my own thread....

My home dz didn't do anything to my knowledge... I even inquired via email well in advance, with no reply I was there on Saturday and nothing was mentioned or posted B|

DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

It is not too late for DZs to conduct a Safety Day this year!

Call your DZO and offer to help organize the day! USPA has provided a lot of helpful materials to get you started:

http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/Safety/SafetyDay/tabid/79/Default.aspx

ABSOLUTE, DEAD-ON GOOD ADVICE!!!!!!!!!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Skydive the Farm had, oh, about 80 in attendance.
Seminars:
Emergency Procedures - Andy Whitlock
Canopy Flight/Collision Avoidance - Ian Drennan
Landing Patterns - Big Steve Haseman
Gear Maintenance - Wayron Cleary

-Chucky demonstrated bonfire-starting procedures.
-Hans demonstrated proper green bottle handling technique.
-AndyC practiced cockmanship but didn't share the video.
-Cindy spread the boobie vibes and made everyone happy.
-MikeG demonstrated swoop-swimming and is attempting to get the sport into the Olympics. He also showed us proper canopy drying procedures.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

It is not too late for DZs to conduct a Safety Day this year!

Call your DZO and offer to help organize the day! USPA has provided a lot of helpful materials to get you started:

http://www.uspa.org/USPAMembers/Safety/SafetyDay/tabid/79/Default.aspx

ABSOLUTE, DEAD-ON GOOD ADVICE!!!!!!!!!

I'll echo this, and add:

From a DZO's standpoint, having a safety day is both good risk management, and good liability management (because, importantly, it not only increases safety, it helps make a record that you're proactive about safety at your DZ). The other side of the coin is that not having one (when so many other DZs do, and the USPA recommends it) just opens you up for yet one more angle of attack if an incident happens at your DZ and the jumper (and/or his family) lawyers-up.

Keystone Skydive Center held safety day at the Aerostore and did a really nice job. I was surprised at the number of jumpers from other drop zones attending. They have a nice hanging setup that you can wear your own harness/container and go through your emergency procedures as well as a conventional hanging harness. Plenty of speakers and free pizza for lunch. Everybody involved did a nice job.

I got to go to Elsinore's as DSE described, then got back home in time to make it to my home dz's Safety Day, which was all day today (up north, as stated dzs tend to do it a bit later March or early April).

We had a contest where 7 different rigs were being worn and we had to inspect them and write down what we found with a gear check on each and the person who listed the most won, and four additional seminars on EPs, canopy collisions and control, pilot/plane stuff, and basic safety (exit order, separation, etc.).

Safety Day T-shirts, a poker based game where the winner won 3 free jumps and second and third won a hat and a jump each.. good stuff, got to see a lot of people that weren't around over the winter up here, and they sent the cessna up intermittently so folks got a jump or two in too, since it wound up being nice.

Last season my first jump ever was the Sunday day after a Sat. safety day at the dz I started jumping at (I obviously was too new to have benefited anyways, pre-training) so it was cool to be a part of it this year (twice lol).
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi

Skydive Rick's had a decent turn out for a small DZ. Basically a structured BS session. The usual suspects. It was too cold to hang anyone, which we usually do at the end of the session.
However, It was a good meeting and we all got together to start the season off right.
Anyway the runway is still too wet to use.

Your poll did not include a "not yet" option.

March 12th is just too early for many cold weather drop zones.
When I lived on the East coast I went to 6 safety days a year as a speaker/ presenter, the first was in March and the last one was the first week of May.

Some DZ's just opened last week and some are still waiting for better weather.

I am a firm believer in having an annual refresher but USPA should not dictate the date and time. Another example of being out of touch with the membership at large.
Onward and Upward!

Your poll did not include a "not yet" option.

March 12th is just too early for many cold weather drop zones.
When I lived on the East coast I went to 6 safety days a year as a speaker/ presenter, the first was in March and the last one was the first week of May.

Some DZ's just opened last week and some are still waiting for better weather.

I am a firm believer in having an annual refresher but USPA should not dictate the date and time. Another example of being out of touch with the membership at large.

I agree that Safety Day is a good thing, regardless of when it's held.
I think that USPA selected a date with some thought and input into it, and not that all DZ's are required to participate, but how about if you asked your DZ about it and were ignored?
DS#727, DB Cooper #41, POPS #11065, SCR #13183, FA #2125, SCS #8306, HALO #309 SRA #5930

...I am a firm believer in having an annual refresher but USPA should not dictate the date and time. Another example of being out of touch with the membership at large.

I don't believe USPA "Dictates" the day. They promote a particular day, and base a lot of the stuff on that day (like the deadline for the magazine article about it) but fully acknowledge that many northern DZs aren't open then and have to delay them. I'm not a big USPA booster by any means, but I don't see any "out of touch" issues with this. Other stuff, yes, but not this.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

Yep! Had about 15 people attend the day. Followed by a few Cessna loads.

Attended my inaugural Safety Day, and learned a lot. Watched the die-hards jump and got a few good photos of them landing in the snow. I guess up at 8k it was 28 degrees, so not too bad considering its MN

Skydive Iowa had Safety Day yesterday (3/26). We squeezed 30 people into the nicely heated training room. This included DZO, instructors, pilots and almost all of the regular, experienced jumpers.

Thank you Bruce, Cliff, Sandy, Gary, JunkYard and everyone else who participated and contributed to the discussion.