theshu

Jump out of a perfectly good airplane?

Hello everyone,

Obviously I am brand new to this forum and have never jumped. I live in Oregon and have looked into "Skydive Oregon" as the place to go for the first time. (If I can work up the nerve)
Does anybody have any experience with this DZ and should I go with the Tandem or the AFF program for getting certified?
Thank you for any help.

Welcome shu. I am relatively new to skydiving too. I started with tandem because I didn't really think I was going to like it as much as I do. By the time I reached the ground on my first jump I knew I was hooked bigtime. I guess what I'm saying is try a tandem. You can go directly into the AFF program from there.

Patrick
--
It's never too late to have a happy childhood.
Postal Rodriguez, Muff 3342

Do a Tandem!

Why? Let me tell ya. Do instructors train pilots on the ground for a few hours, then put them in a plane and tell them "we'll be on the radio"? Same thing with AFF (sort of). Doing the Tandem progression gives you an easier start into jumping, since your first couple jumps will be hooked to a tandem master. You'll get a feel for the air and how to fly a canopy before YOU are responsible for doing it.

Good luck, have fun!
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Welcome shu. I am relatively new to skydiving too. I started with tandem because I didn't really think I was going to like it as much as I do. By the time I reached the ground on my first jump I knew I was hooked bigtime. I guess what I'm saying is try a tandem. You can go directly into the AFF program from there.

Patrick

I totally agree! I chose the tandem as the first due to less presure and you feel a little safer knowing there is a trained jumper strapped to ya. After the jump I was hooked. Now I'm saving my money for the soonist date for AFF.

James;)

AAAAA - American Association Against Acronym Abuse.

Thanks "softlandings", good to hear from someone who is just in the beginning. It sounds like your DZ has the same beginners program as the one I am thinking about going to.
I bet your scared, good luck this weekend I know you will do great!

Hi!
I agree with the doing the tandem method as well. As an instructor, I can give you better canopy control training if we are together for those first few jumps. Then you can concentrate on the level four freefall skills when you transition, without worrying about your canopy flying!
I know the owner and several of the instructors at Molalla - they're awesome people. I would definately jump there if I was in the Portland area.
Good Luck & Blue Skies!

Hey, Shu...

Welcome home!

I did not do a tandem, just went straight to AFF...and when anyone asks me, I tell 'em, do a tandem. It is the most amazing thing, and the most overwhelming thing to be in freefall for the first time, and I think I would have been wiser to do a tandem then striaght AFF...

And as to getting the nerve...just do and do it. Your nerve will show up, but not until you make the commitment to jump!

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Welcome to the DZ (.com that is) I agree the way to go is tandem. I am from Portland and started skydiving (tandem) at Skydive Oregon (SDO) in the beginning of August. If you get a chance come on down. Everyone there is friendly and damn cool to hang-out with. And if you decided to jump, you'll definitely see Oregon in a whole new light. ;). The tandem progression is a great way to learn but either way you will have a good time. Have fun and let me know if I can help anymore.

TD

Hi Shu, I'm glad to see you're your so excited. You're about to start an amazing chaper in your life. One that will lead to many more exciting chapers in the future if you decide that it's for you.

I agree with everyone else here. Do a Tandem first then decide from there. I made my first jump in August, and I went static-line. I can't really explain why I chose to go static since I didn't really think that I would make another jump (CHOMP the bug bit the hell out of me), I think it was because I wanted to do everything myself. One very good thing about taking a static-line course is that you have a VERY powerful motivation to succeed. Freefall. But by making a Tandem jump first you'll be able to enjoy an incredible ride and in the end decide whether or not altitude is something you want to persue.

That said, the best of luck to you on your upcoming skydiving career. Blue Skies!

How about the analogy, "If you want to learn to drive, don't sit in the backseat of a the taxi."
If you have ANY thoughts of getting into the sport, don't waste your money on tandems. You will have two qualified instructors with grips on you, from the time you leave the plane to the time you, or your instructor, deploy your canopy. People can argue both methods of learning, it depends on how much money you have.

What about sensory overload and flying the canopy? Getting a couple tandems under your belt on a proper AFP system gives you a distinct advantage. I'm not sure about your DZ, but at SD Aggieland by doing our AFP system you end up saving about $300-400 over IAD or AFF! Not only that, but on the 2nd tandem you're being taught center point turns as well as some other movement. All in all, if the program is run well, it is far superiour to AFF.

Whoa, Bruce, didn't realize that was you dude! Hell, you know about Aggielands system, I'm sure.:P

Welcome. I started with AFF and did a tandem for my 12th jump. I've suggested to anyone that asks me what they should do to go tandem for their first jump.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I always recommend tandem first. Why? I did a tandem on my first jump and I remember everything - the wind on my skin, the amazing view, the crispness of the air, the feeling of flying. EVERYTHING! But on my first AFF I couldn't even tell you if there was a cloud in the sky. I was too worried about all the stuff I had to do - toe taps, COA, PRCPs, etc. etc. Seemed like TONS at the time. Then I had to worry about pulling and landing my own parachute. It was sensory overload. Don't get me wrong - I LOVED my first AFF jump. But I don't think I got the REAL feeling of skydiving - of flying and pure freedom and joy. And if you find out you don't like it in the end you haven't wasted as much time or money on something you don't like. Good luck whichever way you choose! :)

Fall in dove.

What's up Dave? How is business at Todd's place?
I certainly won't argue any ones points about tandem over AFF, but being the aggressive soul that I am, will always recommend AFF for anyone who thinks they want to get into it. I love doing tandems: certainly no pressure for the student, I get to have fun, and it is easy money for me, just don't feel there is any substitute for feeling your own body in freefall. Have a good one.

Hey Shu,
I have to agree with most here. In '98 I did a fun jump tandem. No pressure, arch and have fun, smile for the video.
I didn't even get to touch the toggles:(. I signed up for AFF that day. After taking the all day course I was not able to jump because there was an accedent there. Next day, jump #1 Total sensory overload, got altitude unaware JM pulled for me(I was having too much fun)FAIL! Jump #2 (2 weeks later because of winds)same sensors but stayed altitude aware,PASS! 3 weeks later (winds again)jump #3 altitude unaware again JM pulled again,FAIL! Failed 1 more time and quit for 1 1/2 yrs. When I started back it went much better. After over 1000 jumps later, I watch the students go thru the STP program (2-3 tandems)at my DZ start out much more aware of what's going on than I was, I HIGHLYrecommend "Tandem Progression". Had I started that way, I would probably have over 2000 by now! Best of luck!
Blue skies,
C 1045B|

We're doing great, just this past weekend we flew 14 loads on Saturday and another 14 loads on Sunday. I can't remember how many loads we flew on Friday, it was a decent handful.

As busy as you stay, I doubt you'll have the chance, but if you can sneak away on a Friday or something you should come up here and jump out of "cyclops.":)

Does anybody have any experience with this DZ...?

I jump there occasionally and my boyfriend did his first jump (AFF) there. We really like SDO and enjoy it because it's close and usually more active than our other home DZ which is Eugene Skydivers.

Eugene Skydivers is a longer drive, but it's a more close-knit group. It's easier to get to know people and feel included there. The prices are also much lower than SDO.

Both are excellent choices depending on which style you prefer.

First Class Citizen Twice Over

My first jump was a tandem. It took me about a year to actually committ to AFF. I knew what freefall felt like but after a year there was still some sensory overload. I do recomend a tandem first just to see what it's like. AFF is somewhat expensive so an extra $150 just to make sure you want to do it and clear the first hurdle of jumping out of an airplane seems worth it to me. You also won't be as overwhelmed by this strangge sensation during your AFF1 jump. IMHO

Respect the Dolphin