Amanduh

POLL - Slider up tailgate use

Question: What are your feelings toward using a tailgate on slider up jumps?

"it's not something that has been thoroughly tested; you should wait until it is"

???

This is a poll just to get the general perception of how people feel on this subject. I personally have been using a tailgate on slider up jumps as well as slider down. Slider up I do not use a "full" tailgate; I cut the band thinner and only wrap it twice.

I am going to refrain from giving my reasons for now because I would like to see what the more experienced jumpers have to say.

*Please post why you choose the way you do

I will mostly use 2 wraps of masking tape on the same lines I tailgate, This shouldn't interfear with the slider at alll

What size mesh is on your slider? I ASSume its small?

I prefer masking tape though, its been consistent for me from 4-20+ seconds.
Also, maybe PM K (I think she's with Apex) as I remember reading about her experimenting with tail gate slider up jumps.
Good luck,
Blair

Maybe someone can explain what the tailgate is going to do that the slider wouldn't already, especially if using direct control on the slider to keep the lines together until the last moment?

Just seems:

1) Another fiddly thing to do, and therefore adds risk
2) Doesn't seem to add anything (in terms of additional safety) that isn't covered already

The view I got whilst on my FJC (and more than one person) was: "Leave the Americans to experiment" :P
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

especially if using direct control on the slider to keep the lines together until the last moment?

Is direct control not to ensure that the slider stays up in the pack job and not descend prematurely rather than keeping the lines together until the last moment? I have always thought that this was the idea of direct control, that and as a back up to indirect control (or when indirect is not used at all). How many lines do you bite your slider to?

But hey I am a slider down slut so my understanding of theory may be fucked B|

But I do agree, what exactly is a tailgate on slider up do that a slider and a wrap of masking tape cant do more simply and without added (small) risk of hang up?

"Leave the Americans to experiment"

Open-minded as always, I see....

I believe there are very valid reasons to use a tailgate while jumping slider up.

Probably far more applicable to unpacked slider up jumps than packed jumps, but still valid.

I will go so far to say that on sub-terminal slider up jumps a tailgate stages your deployment a little more, encourages a nose-first inflation and therefore more consistent openings with better heading performance.

I have heard plenty of people talk about the risk of slider/tailgate entanglement with a large mesh slider, but not ONE has ever even HEARD of this happening.

I know one experienced jumper who has SEEN FOUR people get line-overs doing slider up rollovers without tailgates. None of the FOUR could clear their line-over before landing in the snake river.

Bring on the standard british disdain for the Perrine bridge because it's not 'real' basejumping, but if you hang out there for a while, you get to see a LOT of jumps and you tend to notice things you otherwise would probably not.

I use the slidergate, a tailgate sewn into the center of the trailing edge of the slider.
Memento Audere Semper

I use the "tape gate", but don't have many slider up jumps. 12 of them to be exact.

It's time now! My time now! Give me mine. Give me my wings! - MJK

i asked TODD @ APEX B.A.S.E. this same question on my first slider up jump. and he said it's ok to use the tailgate. and said that the opening shock force was to powerful for an entanglement i also reefed down my large mesh slider with a rubberband attached to my opposite "c" lines. for a slower opening. i didn't notice the slower opening but i'm sure it was there.

i also asked JEB CORLISS a few months back about wing suit B.A.S.E. and terminal B.A.S.E. and the tailgate. he said he use's tape on the trouble making lines. he also gave me alot of insight on what not to do on lower jumps. but hey what do these guys know.

and the matter of the potato bridge not being a "real" B.A.S.E. jump. do people really say this. when jumping with one parechute with 5+ seconds to the ground it's still a B.A.S.E. jump. ask the poor gal who had a hard pull or was it a pilotchute delay. either way=that's when i realized it's still a B.A.S.E. jump.... damn...... a pilotchut delay with a 3 second delay and only 2 seconds to go...sounds like a B.A.S.E. jump to me....it's not safe...it's safe(r)
NPS SUX ASS

I use a slidergate on longer delays since it achieves the same purpose and is already tested in the field. I use direct slider control on shorter delays. Using tape in very hot and humid environments can cause the tape to bleed its glue singnificantly. This is particularly a problem if the rig is packed for more than a couple days.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

good point on the tape being used in the hotter more humid climate scenario. and leaving the rig packed scenario.
NPS SUX ASS

I will mostly use 2 wraps of masking tape on the same lines I tailgate, This shouldn't interfear with the slider at alll

One more vote for this mode.
Between two evils always pick theone never tried

I appreciate the feedback I have received on this post as well as the PM's. To answer the question up a few posts; i'm using a small mesh slider.

More questions.

How many slider down (with tailgate) jumps have you seen end with a line over? (assuming it wasn't trashpacked:S)

How many slider up (assuming no tailgate in use) jumps have you seen end with a line over?

My reason for using the tailgate is because even though the slider should prevent a line over; if it happens i cannot release my steering lines. Also, as mentioned above - staging of the opening. Maybe it is 'redundant' but at the same time I have that added precaution and I'm aware of it standing at exit. If it is only for my conscience thats fine as long as what i'm doing won't help aid in the end of my life. Gear fear at exit sucks.

I am very new to the sport and could be totally wrong in the way I'm thinking; but that's why I wanted experienced jumpers to chime in.

After reading the responses I've received I may change some things up a bit but would really like more feedback from others experimenting with slider up tailgate use (even if modified - ie "slider gate"/or masking tape). I like the masking tape idea and have considered taking the first 3 inches or so and folding it backwards before putting around my lines and wrapping twice - that way the 'hot & humid' environment I live in won't cause the sticky stuff to stay on my lines if i'm packed for a while prior to jumping. That would cause the tape to be able to slide up and down freely though; could that cause a problem in your eyes?

Thanks again.

My reason for using the tailgate is because even though the slider should prevent a line over; if it happens i cannot release my steering lines.

Use WLO/line release toggles! Apex makes great ones. Not having them is as barbaric as not using line mod slider-down.

Masking tape works great and doesn't seem to affect the lines at all. I do not see any reason to replace the tape with a tailgate for slider-up jumps.

bsbd!

Yuri.

Use WLO/line release toggles!

Didn't those just get recalled? :P;)

(joking!)

Yuri, so I can assume that you do not use any type of control on your lines when slider up? Do you think there would be any added benefit to using some sort or another or completely a waste of time? Feel free to PM me if needed; I'm starting to figure out how big of a 'grey area' this topic really is for people to post about publicly.

Didn't those just get recalled? :P;)

Replaced with a better version, to be exact ;)

I personally like and use the original Vertigo WLO version (snap risers), they release the lines instantly.

Yuri, so I can assume that you do not use any type of control on your lines when slider up?

I use masking tape sometimes, but don't stress over it. Most of the time i do not use any extra type of control.

bsbd!

Yuri.

My new WLO toggles are an extremely good design and I think they are worth recommending to the general jumping public.

I have experience with masking tape in our local area and it bleeds glue badly. I have been in other areas of the country where this was never a problem.

Use some slider control until you get some WLO toggles.

The affect of the tape is good but the glue from masking tape is a problem, hmm...

Has anyone used 'blue' painters tape?

I've used it painting outside in Florida (hot & humid) and never saw it leave any residue.
Rigger, Skydiver, BASE Jumper, Retired TM

My new WLO toggles are an extremely good design and I think they are worth recommending to the general jumping public.

Do you use them on your slider down jumps too? Could they replace the LRM?

Use some slider control until you get some WLO toggles.

Will do

'use WLO toggles in case of a slider-up lineover' (which I will defininetly invest in) but why not have an extra precaution to help prevent the slider-up line over before you open and find yourself spinning and need to use your WLO toggles? Help lower the chance of it happening before it does. Right? Ok, i'm crawling back to my corner now.

Could they? Probably. Will you ever be able to pull a little ring on the toggle while spinning to clear a lineover as fast as throwing the entire toggle? Probably not.
Get in - Get off - Get away....repeat as neccessary

Could they? Probably. Will you ever be able to pull a little ring on the toggle while spinning to clear a lineover as fast as throwing the entire toggle? Probably not.

I know of some jumpers who use in the WLO toggles instead of the line mod. I'm not personally good enough to do this.

In regard to Amanduh going back to your corner, why would you possibly feel this way as a beginner regarding initiating a technical discussion?

Could they? Probably.

The original Vertigo toggles weren't suitable for slider-down jumps. The pin wasn't strong enough and got bent on slider-down openings.

I believe I heard Jimmy from Apex say the new system is stronger and suitable for slider down jumps.

Will you ever be able to pull a little ring on the toggle while spinning to clear a lineover as fast as throwing the entire toggle? Probably not.

Having done about twenty WLO toggle releases for fun, I'd say they are about the same speed. WLO has the drawback that you need to reach for the little ring whereas LRM has the advantage that you can just grab for the entire biggrab toggle. On the other hand, a WLO clearance leaves just a line to jump away so there is zero risk of your toggle becoming stuck in your lines. With the LRM you typically want to make sure you throw the toggle well away from whatever is above your head. Not sure how much of a deal this is in practice...

On the other hand, a WLO clearance leaves just a line to jump away so there is zero risk of your toggle becoming stuck in your lines.

As well as no mass at the end of the control line to help that toggle spin up around a line twist, too.

-C.

Maybe someone can explain what the tailgate is going to do that the slider wouldn't already, especially if using direct control on the slider to keep the lines together until the last moment?

:P

exatly....and if you are unsure...use WLOs...they´re great

piece....fastpete