piisfish

The CATAPULT....

Nice one!

I did hear that some whuffo thought that the 3 tall pipes coming out of the new Arizona wind tunnel were, in their own words, "a skydiver catapult". Maybe such thoughts aren't quite so far fetched after all. ;):P
--
BASE #1182
Muff #3573
PFI #52; UK WSI #13

that is freakin sic.... I wana ride... :)
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Nice! Very nice!

So when is this gonna be the next attraction at Busch Gardens? :D

Coco

Who the hell told you a story as insane as tha-... wait, shit, that was me :D

They thought it was a skydiver cannon though, not a catapult ;)
cavete terrae.

Holy crap!!! I want one!!!

Does it count as a BASE jump though?

Yes, it's an "S"

A very flexible span.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

Yes, it's an "S"
A very flexible span.

:D:D:D
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

hey i jump 400ft/120m regulary.. well atleast some weekends:ph34r:

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

I would take a ride...what ...is that a E ticket???:o

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I just saw the News on the TV just a minute ago with this Catapult/Para-jump. WOW !
The G-Force must be HELL For him to achieve that height. The English translation on the television said he was a French Stuntman ? who ? is he a base jumper ? He had exceptional body control and nice body position considering this is a human on a rubber band.
also: Nice BIG ( FLIK ) logo on the bottom-skin. Sweetest advertisement.
The G-Force would Scare me the most. Not necessarily the Reverse Bungee parajump.

I just saw the News on the TV just a minute ago with this Catapult/Para-jump. WOW !
The G-Force must be HELL For him to achieve that height. The English translation on the television said he was a French Stuntman ? who ? is he a base jumper ? He had exceptional body control and nice body position considering this is a human on a rubber band.
also: Nice BIG ( FLIK ) logo on the bottom-skin. Sweetest advertisement.
The G-Force would Scare me the most. Not necessarily the Reverse Bungee parajump.

I do not think he got more than 5gs. The launch took a second or so and to get to 120m he must have accelerated to 40-50m/s. 4-5 g for a second can't be too bad.

the g-forces may, for some, produce a "brown out," not a full black out, which could still comprimise the jump.

i've actually been thinking of trying to design and build a similar sort of contraption, but instead of just bungees, I was thinking it should be on some sort of rail/launch system that you could adjust the "boost" on, sort of like an aircraft carrier's catapult system. You could dial the launch rate for the jumpers weight, desired height of the jump, acceleration rate, etc.

if anyone has any ideas/feedback about this, let me know... i think it'd be cool to build.

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

You could design it so's you could aim it a bit giving different angles of throw.

I like the idea of adjustable boost. Making it compact enough to set up at a BASE site would be challenging.

Some form of combination throw may work to keep G's down like in a catapult that swings and throws as opposed to a simple slingshot. This could help keep it more compact as well.

Hope you get it done.

the g-forces may, for some, produce a "brown out," not a full black out, which could still comprimise the jump.

I had a "brown out" on my first B. It didn't comprimse the jump, just my pride.

The English translation on the television said he was a French Stuntman ? who ? is he a base jumper ? He had exceptional body control and nice body position considering this is a human on a rubber band.
also: Nice BIG ( FLIK ) logo on the bottom-skin. Sweetest advertisement..

His name is Jean Marc Mouligné, don't know if he's french or Belgian. Did his AFF 2 years ago IIRC. The goal was to do the catapult jump. He Also builds human cannonball cannons and stuff like that. He posts on the FBA forum.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Are you two talking about the same brown out...? :D

um, i think not. :o:D

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

instead of just bungees, I was thinking it should be on some sort of rail/launch system that you could adjust the "boost" on, sort of like an aircraft carrier's catapult system. You could dial the launch rate for the jumpers weight, desired height of the jump, acceleration rate, etc.

if anyone has any ideas/feedback about this, let me know... i think it'd be cool to build.

I'm not an expert, but I'd think a bungee system is an excellent option. they seem to release energy over a longer time span, thus lessening the acceleration (or g forces).

having bungee jumped, I never felt any harsh shocks...
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

instead of just bungees, I was thinking it should be on some sort of rail/launch system that you could adjust the "boost" on, sort of like an aircraft carrier's catapult system. You could dial the launch rate for the jumpers weight, desired height of the jump, acceleration rate, etc.

I'm not an expert, but I'd think a bungee system is an excellent option. they seem to release energy over a longer time span, thus lessening the acceleration (or g forces).

having bungee jumped, I never felt any harsh shocks...

you may be right... perhaps there's a way to establish a multi-stage bungee system so that at the beginning of the launch, acceleration is not drastic enough to balck someone out, but towards the end of the launch, there is a noticeable kick in the pants that will send the jumper into the ether.

and of course, there's the whole aspect of simplicity and low cost too...

I miss Lee.
And JP.
And Chris. And...

Yes, he is basejumper, we just jumped together yesterday in our beautiful gorge :-)
Ps.: Hey, piifish, are you sure about AFF? He told me he started 30 years ago.

Fido

FINALLY!

Twenty years ago I wrote a sci-fi story about a school that used catapults and static-lines for first jump courses.
This catapult should relieve our reliance on expensive noisy airplanes. Even better that it is based on a couple of easily-moved cranes.

150 meters = 495 feet.

Great!