dmcoco84

Lock Pick Kits

Hey Everyone, I’m in the need of some info on lock pick kits. A buddy provided me with a legit site to make a purchase but I’m not sure what to buy. Like; “Would an 11 or 12 basic tool kit do the trick for most locks? If so what’s the point to having a 50 tool kit.” He said he is not the best at the art so I was hoping to find some contacts with some skill that can give me a little guidance on what to buy so I can get started.

If you don’t care to post about this topic, PM’s are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Coco

(Disclaimer: I suck at lockpicking)

Every lock I've been able to open, I could open with a couple diamonds and a tension bar. A guy I know, who used to steal cars to fund his college education, told me that a minimal kit would take me far.

Speaking of, SBCMac, where's my lockpick set?

Edit: Might look Here

Ask this buddy of yours whether an electric lockpick would do the trick. I have no experience with or knowledge about lockpicks. But it seems to me a one piece electric lockpick is convenient for a jumper.

I believe that Dex is taking about Raking not Picking. there's a big difference.
Picking of pins individually to align shear line in the barrel is a Trained Skill of a Locksmith.
Any Monkey with a thumb can Rake a Lock. And that's the easiest way I chose to do it anyway.
Picking Pins is a thing you got to stay current on (like a lot) Use it or Loose it Skill.
For Raking all you need is a few different size tension bars and two or three different Rakes.
Hey CHAD it was fuckall great last night sorry you were not there......:ph34r:

First , let me state up front that I do not advocate breaking and entering or criminal activity of any type. How one chooses to use a tool is an individual decission.

A standard pick set will suffice for most locks you will likely encounter in everyday life. The large 101 piece kits cover locks that are not commonly encountered by the average person but more for the professional locksmith who may have to open things like cylindrical locks and the sort. Like any tool, it's only as good as the person using it. Most people who own pick sets can't open a door if their life depended on it, even if you gave them all day. Understanding how a lock mechanism works is where the majority of the emphasis and study should be applied. knowing what type and make of a lock one is facing beforehand can save one time and effort as some locks have charachteristics about them that are unique or are different from the average lock that can be more challenging. Likewise, they can also have inherant faults that can be exploited. Why spend time picking a lock you can open in another quciker easier manner? There is plenty of information out there for study on locks and how they work. I posted a fairly detailed explaination on locking mechanisms awhile back that may be of interest to you in this forum. If you have any questions please feel to PM me.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

the lock picking world championships were won this year in 20 seconds by raking a supposedly un-pickable lock! one man one pick!
Go forth now, to the promised lands, and swear much unto each other, with mighty profanity and many personal attacks. T.A.

PM sent.
I really don't know what I'm talking about.

Also...wouldn't be easier to just buy a set of masterkeys?

There are no "master keys" for single pin locks. Seldom if ever will they be found on padlocks. They are most common in apartments and hotels. THe locks have 2 sets of pins, and shear lines. One key opens one set at one shear line and the "master" at another. A couple of diamond picks and tension tools of different sizes is all that is needed for most common padlocks and deadbolts.
Raking is the way to go. Electric guns and mechanical guns rake in the same manner but the are very LOUD and can damage locks. THe truly gifted are the ones that can do impressions and combination locks are the easiest of all to beat(the Master brand, that is):)

PS Having a set in your possession is a crime unless you are certified locksmith, etc, etc

May we live long and die out

Electric guns and mechanical guns rake in the same manner but the are very LOUD and can damage locks.

I've owned both electric and mechanical guns, and have never found them any easier or more effective then simply raking a lock by hand.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

the lock picking world championships were won this year in 20 seconds by raking a supposedly un-pickable lock! one man one pick!

Perhaps we ought to change your nickname from "The Pick" to "The Rake"? ;)
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

my tool of choice is the diamond PICK. I can pick with it or rake so maybe "Pick-N-Rake"
Go forth now, to the promised lands, and swear much unto each other, with mighty profanity and many personal attacks. T.A.

i have a "master key" that works great for all padlocks.

it's called a bolt cutter.

it's great for "aquiring" military vehicles in a hurry...

although, for BASE applications... not a good idea.;)

it's great for "aquiring" military vehicles in a hurry...

although, for BASE applications... not a good idea.;)

That actually works great on a lot of multi-padlock gates. Often, when several people have to get into some place (very common on some towers), they just chain the padlocks through each other so that any of them can get in. It's very simple to clip off the last link of the chain and replace it with your own padlock, simply adding yourself to the "list" of people who have their own locks/keys/access to the site.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Great info everyone!!! Great Pm's too. Thanks for all the help. And nice laughs too!!

:D:D

Speaking of, SBCMac, where's my lockpick set?

Sorry brother, I've been meaning to return it to you [:/]...

I'll PM you... It's been too long since we've hung out...

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

It's been too long since we've hung out...

Then come jump with us tomorrow off a low yet sweet bridge;).

This is dependent on the state. In Texas, this is not true.

From BASE 515:
"PS Having a set in your possession is a crime unless you are certified locksmith, etc, etc"
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

those work on poorer quality locks, not on good locks with tight tolerances.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

This is dependent on the state. In Texas, this is not true.

From BASE 515:
"PS Having a set in your possession is a crime unless you are certified locksmith, etc, etc"

I always considered Texas as another Country, so I'm not surprised. It must be nice to have some freedoms left.;)

May we live long and die out

http://www.lockpicking101.com/

Start at the above url. Under newbies there is an FAQs. There is also a large list of laws. Keep in mind USPS may have laws against sending these items. So even if you can buy it from a site legally, you still have to find out how they send it to you. Go to howstuffworks.

Alot of larger kits will have repeats of the same thing. There are some raking kits that have heaps of different ones, but these are not commonly used. Normally 3 tools will get most done. Personally mech/elec tools are over rated. Just to explain what I mean by most. At a beginners skill level they will only be able to get into a number of different styles/quality of locks. You could get the best branded picks and they wont help you, only time/skill/lucky will.

As said by others, I dont advicate ppl doing this stuff anywhere that laws do not allow.

If ya still have questions PM me.

Thanks for the info. Yea I'll definitely check out that website too. I would start reading now but its blocked under "criminal skills". Damn work firewalls. :D:D