dustin19d

Jeb Corliss. Here to save the world?

page 96 in the December issue of outside.

Article:

"How to save the world, Our 25 action heroes show you what it takes"

Jeb shares the #13 spot with Maria von Egidy as they race to be the first to land a wing suit..

I haven't seen the article yet but I can already tell a sorry is in order :) I told them I didn't want to talk about it anymore till we had funding. I told them that at this point it is fantasy till we can find a way to fund the project further. I told them I didn't think it fit in with the rest of the people on there list. I told them we were at least a year out from doing it even after we got funding and there was no way of knowing how long that would be.

So like I said, I have no idea what they wrote, because I have not read it yet, but I AM SORRY, because I am pretty sure it's lame.

Jeb Corliss

P.S. Man can get to the moon, but not by flapping his arms and his mouth...

13. Jeb Corliss and Maria von Egidy: Wing People.
Mission// Fly like a bird

The race to be the first to jump out of a plane and land safely without deploying a parachute is on. That's the goal of Malibu-based Jeb Corliss, 29, and South African Maria von Egidy, 41, who, working separately and in secret, say they've found a way for humans to leap from 30,000 feet and live-wearing flying-squirrel like wingsuits that slow free fall to less than 40 miles per hour while propelling you forward at more than 100 miles per hour. This can make for a rough landing, but BASE jumper Corliss claims to have invented a touchdown strategy that "can be done ten times out of ten without breaking a fingernail." Meanwhile, von Egidy, a former costume designer, says she's within a year and $400,000 of skydiving's ultimate prize; now all she needs is a willing test pilot. " Obviously," she says, "it will have to be someone very brave."
By -JUSTIN NYBERG

At least Jeb is willing to do the jump. She wants somebody else to do it:S
Handguns are only used to fight your way to a good rifle

At least Jeb is willing to do the jump. She wants somebody else to do it:S

Maybe his people should call her people?:)

Maybe his people want the experiment to work, and not have a one off worldwide media hit as a result of a failed experiment. ;)

BTW - I think I have the answer, and I'm pretty sure I could do it with the cost of a few jump tickets. I'm even willing to pay for them. Just sign the release form here, and here, and there, and here, and on the next page, and there, and. . . . and please sign the waiver here, there, and everywhere.

Oh, and by the way, I'm doing video!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Oh splat, I was wrong by 6 feet.
Next!!!!!!!!!

;)
Stay Safe - Have Fun - Good Luck

The above could be crap, thought provoking, useful, or . . But not personal. You decide.

So like I said, I have no idea what they wrote, because I have not read it yet, but I AM SORRY, because I am pretty sure it's lame.

As if you were the first person ever sideswiped by the media... :|

Knowing what people really say vs. the words put in their mouths by the media is really enlightening, because it teaches us that most news is often no more than creative writing.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

I told them I didn't want to talk about it anymore till we had funding. I told them that at this point it is fantasy till we can find a way to fund the project further. I told them I didn't think it fit in with the rest of the people on there list.

It's prety obvious they didn't seriously talk to you about it. I mean if your goal was to land a wing suit without a parachute, why on earth would you burden your self with the extra equipment needed to exit at 30,000 ft. And where did they get this number?

So what is the part of the Jeb's proposed landing gear development that is so unusual that it would require millions of dollars to prototype and develop?

Chris
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

So what is so part of the Jeb's proposed landing gear development is so unusual that it would require millions of dollars to prototype and develop?

Ya know I was kinda wondering the same thing......

I'm thinking it's some kind of structure on the ground, but that's just a guess.

I'm thinking kangaroo speed skates w/ hugger wheels, is that too 80's?

G/L kid this is a little more then jumping off the high plat form at such an early age, but just as ballsy.

Can you water ski??? I have an idea..:S:S:S you might look like that the first few times, but something tells me it's a kartwheel, a flip and some head over heels would be going in the rigght direction.

But of course!! at first i was thinking foosball, but air hockey for sure! It would be a piece of cake. Existing equipment could be used, no need for anything new. That's awesome, I'm surprised it seemed so impossible.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

So what is the part of the Jeb's proposed landing gear development that is so unusual that it would require millions of dollars to prototype and develop?

Chris

LouDiamond has posted pics of the prototype:

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1928066
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Maybe Jeb should just call up Marty McFly and borrow his hover board. Strap that puppy to his chest. :D

I gather such massive funding would have to deal with some sort of civil engineering project, such as extremely heavy bubbling over a large body of water to dramatically lower the surface tension of the water, similar to what hot dog skiers do for training, but with theirs on a much smaller scale.
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

I gather such massive funding would have to deal with some sort of civil engineering project, such as extremely heavy bubbling over a large body of water to dramatically lower the surface tension of the water, similar to what hot dog skiers do for training, but with theirs on a much smaller scale.

I figured some sort of giant waterslide-like structure with a large field that approximates the glide angle of the WS pilot's approach, preferrably being constructed of HDPE. The WS pilot, whose underbelly is covered in beaver fur ;) or similar, would make approach to this HDPE structure and match the glide slope with the structure, eventually alighting upon it. Gradually, the slope of the structure begins to go flatter and flatter until it ultimately turns upward (imagine a luge course at the end) to dissipate energy. The added benefit of this type of structure is it would be a co-generation facility to produce static electricity generated by the friction between the beaver fur and the HDPE surface, allowing for cost-recovery.

snicker
Gardner

So who wants to start the fundraiser to help build Jeb's landing devices?
BASE 1224, Senior Parachute Rigger, CPL ASEL IA, AGI, IGI
USPA Coach & UPT Tandem Instructor, PRO, Altimaster Field Support Representative

Not me. Jeb has fundraisers more powerful than anything we're likely to come up with.

BUT!!!!!

Who wants to start a fundraiser to send me on a year long "endless summer" BASE trip? I would support that.

I'll send you 10 bucks.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto