SarahC07

Tempo 150 Reserve

Hi! Warning: newbie idiot questions coming your way: I'm looking at used/new gear and came across a complete system that has a tempo 150 reserve. I am only remotely familiar with one type of reserve and it's not a tempo. Does anyone know anything about them? And while I'm asking, what are the main differences in a reserve and a main canopy? Why are reserves generally cheaper than mains? If I were to buy a reserve used, what is the maximum number of rides it should have? In fact, why IS there a maximum number of rides... ? Do the reserves wear down faster? I'm open to any advice.. I'm a newbie with all kinds of idiot questions!
Thanks for the help!;)

~Sarah

AggieDave didn't cover all of this for you??? :P

The Tempo is one of the top 3-4 reserves out there, no worries.

In regards to the strict rules about number of rides/repacks - would you want to risk the only thing saving your life in the case of a malfunction to someone that has been repacked and ridden quite a bit? I wouldn't. But I'm a newbie too, so don't listen to me. ;)

How does a tempo stack up next to a PD reserve?

PD is much better quality. Has better reinforment. Better flight characteristics.

Tempo flies fine opens fine and works.
PD does it better.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

maybe he knows cause you jump at aggieland...
to find out the age of the reserve, the manufacturing date should be written on it (I think)
and you should also have the repack card or a copy of it to find out how many times it has been packed.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Well, lets say for comparison purposes... the tempo 150 is 2 years old with no reserve rides... and in good condition...

If I were to buy it... and then try to sell it... any idea how much I could get for it?
I was thinking I'd buy the complete system, sell the tempo reserve and buy a new PD reserve to replace it.

Well, lets say for comparison purposes... the tempo 150 is 2 years old with no reserve rides... and in good condition...

If I were to buy it... and then try to sell it... any idea how much I could get for it?
I was thinking I'd buy the complete system, sell the tempo reserve and buy a new PD reserve to replace it.

Every area of the country has a different perceived value. Some drop zones have certain prejudice that make the perceived value of an item change.

In my market, I would value a used Tempo between $450.00 and $500.00. A used PD goes between $600.00 and $700.00 depending on DOM and # rides. A new one sells for $ 883.20 just about anywhere.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

In my opinion there is no need to dump the Tempo to buy a PD. Most of what you hear about one canopy/reserve/rig being better than the other is opinion or marketing. We all have our favorites and our not so favorites. If your overloading the reserve, flight characteristics or extra reinforcing might be important. If your within placard don't worry about it. There are a lot more important things to worry about, like opening your main.;)
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Tempo's a decent reserve. Note that you shouldn't be worried about the number of deployments so much as the number of pack jobs, unless a jump caused damage (like landing on a fence.) Canopies are damaged more by handling and packing than by deployment. PD requires that you send their reserves back to the factory for a comprehensive inspection after 25 deployments or 40 repacks; that's a good guide for other reserves as well.

I was thinking I'd buy the complete system, sell the tempo reserve and buy a new PD reserve to replace it. ***

You could probably trade the Tempo reserve in for a new reserve of your choosing for $100 with a gear store. My buddy just did that. He went from a Raven Dash M 150 with 0 jumps on it to a new Smart 120. Smart is made by Aerodyne Research, who makes the Triathlons. I use a Triathlon and Tempo myself. The Tempo gets me down safely although I admit the controls felt a little mushy on the one reserve ride I had on it.

Blue Skies
Billy
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Sarah- in my opinion both are good reserves, the Tempo is a little light on the reinforcement tape, but it does have the title of number one selling square reserve canopy of all times- The PD has a ton of tape and is pretty damn structurally sound, neither one of these reserves have had many problemw with failing to do their duty when called upon.
However technology has come a long way and there are other reserves on the market now that incorporate a ton of well placed tape and good flying charachteristics.

I'm sure when you choose a reserve you'll make a SMART choice

(you people know I've been waiting to use that one)

Aubrey
Aerodyne (manufacturer of the Smart Reserve)

PS have a good weekend of jumping, hopefully your weather is better than it is in Z hills today.
"Those who say it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it"

I have two rides on a Tempo 150, I bought it new with my rig. I have no complaints at all, it opened great it flew ok nothing special, and landed just fine. I will say this it either is or it seems smaller then advertised. It really didn't look any bigger then my 130 main and landed like a 135 it also packs up like a 135.

I have two rides on a Tempo 150, I bought it new with my rig. I have no complaints at all, it opened great it flew ok nothing special, and landed just fine. I will say this it either is or it seems smaller then advertised. It really didn't look any bigger then my 130 main and landed like a 135 it also packs up like a 135.

PISA and Atair probably use different measuring methods, so it may very well be that they're closer in size than the 130 vs 150 would normally seem.

I guess a PD 143 and Tempo 150 are supposed to be about the same size.

PISA and Atair probably use different measuring methods, so it may very well be that they're closer in size than the 130 vs 150 would normally seem.

I guess a PD 143 and Tempo 150 are supposed to be about the same size.

A Tempo 150 is 148 sq. ft., the 170 is 178 and 210 is 203. Your guess is as good as mine.:P (Temop Packing Manual)
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The Tempo Reserve was manufactured by PISA (Parachute Industries of South Africa) they had been around for years, and the Tempo was one of the top selling reserves in it's day.

I have had one ride on a Tempo 170, sub terminal and it opened fine and landed good. Remember a reserve is there to get you to the ground safely. I would have no doubt in purchasing a Tempo reserve and jumping it. You will not go wrong with it.

- PISA has now been absorbed by Aerodyne, so the quality and manufacturing ethics are sure to have been first class for that sort of merger.

Better never to have met you in my dream than to wake and reach for hands that are not there.