DexterBase

I would be interested in a BASE specific First Aid Kit

Is there an interest in purchasing a first aid kit designed specifically for BASE jumping?

This is a really cool idea, you should post a link to that article you wrote too, I will if I can find it. Having a traveling BASE boogie first aid kit could really come in handy. How extensive would it be? You mentioned a backboard, but would we have airways and stuff in there too?

My vote is dependent on how you answer the below question...

IS IT GOING TO HAVE GOOD DRUGS IN IT??? :D

If yes, I will take two please :P...

OK... Seriously... I would definitely purchase a BASE specific kit...

Awesome question/poll!

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

It contains bandaids that have little BASE jumpers on them :P...

BATMAN - (A.K.A. SBCmac ...)

i voted yes below 100$

beaware that you´ll need to know how to use the kit to need it..

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

BASE was the main reason i took a first aid course a while back, i think this is an excellent idea.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Chad,

I answered “NO” to the poll because the kit you carry would really not be BASE specific. It would be back country specific. Meaning the same stuff you would want for say climbing, whitewater; back country skiing, etc… would be the same for backcountry BASE.

The exception would be having a large supply in a vehicle, for when you are jumping front country objects (i.e., objects within one hour of medical help). If this is the case, a well stocked trauma kit, tree rescue kit, ect, dry clothing, blankets/sleeping bag, etc… would be appropriate.

The reality of it though, is that having the appropriate training is far more important than the stuff you use. A well trained first responder can improvise all kinds of stuff to stabilize a victim until transport is available. I would recommend to anyone who spends time at remote jump locations to take a Wilderness First Responder (WFR) or Wilderness EMT course from the Wilderness Medicine Institute (http://www.nols.edu/wmi/).

WFR courses focus on scene safety, diagnosing, treating (i.e., first response), stabilizing, and preparing for and executing assisted and self rescue situations.

Also if you spend time in the back country, having basic rock skills and rock rescue skills can help out as well. These courses will focus on technical rigging for rescue in a vertical environment (i.e., raising, lowering, simul and tandem rescue rappels, etc.). Most reputable guide services such as American Alpine Institute can help in those areas.

I would even suggest that we start thinking about keeping rescue and first aid cashes at popular back country exit points. Although this practice is technically illegal on most BLM and USFS land, it is typically not enforced, and can easily be kept on the down low.

Tom Dancs

I would even suggest that we start thinking about keeping rescue and first aid cashes at popular back country exit points.

Yeah, I like this idea, although I would put them near landing areas. 736 and I were discussing the same thing last weekend. For a remote jump site, one could do a dedicated visit to the landing area (without jumping) and bury/hide a kit with first-aid tools, a sealed water container, blanket, etcetera. One never knows when it could come in handy.

Also if you spend time in the back country, having basic rock skills and rock rescue skills can help out as well.

They are also extremely helpful in the "very front country" when rescuing stranded jumpers from non-earthform objects.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Is there an interest in purchasing a first aid kit designed specifically for BASE jumping?

Perhaps you should post something describing your background...the cynics among us may think you're just out for a quick buck. Some context may help...

Just an idea...and I still think you're a fairy.

:P
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

Perhaps you should post something describing your background...the cynics among us may think you're just out for a quick buck. Some context may help...

Just an idea...and I still think you're a fairy.

:P

For those who don't know...Chad is a medic who has seen active duty...(correct where incorrect, Chad).

I'm suggesting two things in the post above...

1) Chad knows what he's doing.
2) Chad is a fairy

One of those things may be a little inaccurate depending on how much he's drunk.

I think It's a great idea.

$.
$kin.

Prizes to anyone who gets to read my posts before Mr Aiello's son, Tom deletes them.

correct where incorrect, Chad

I've got Dexter's back on this one, he is a Navy Corpsman, not a medic. He is or has been an EMT instructor, Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support intsructor, advanced cardiac life support instructor. He has extensive combat medicine experience.

(Had to brag about my baby:$:P)

You missed the part where the government gave him some hardware for being able to keep his wits about him and do the right stuff when the shit hit the fan.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

nice job!
Leroy

..I knew I was an unwanted baby when I saw my bath toys were a toaster and a radio...

Shit Chad, You didn't tell me that part of the story. Heros do no seek attention. It is thrust upon them. I've said it before and I'll say it again. You are one cool mother fucker and I wish I knew more people like you.

I agree Tom, but potentially less important, as trained high angle/confined space personnel would likely respond to an incident in the city/front country. But if you can get your moderately injured friend off of a structure, and to help with no obvious association to BASE jumping that would always be preferable.

When it comes down to it though, if someone is badly hurt and near medical help, it’s usually best let EMS do the transporting. The safety and well being of a person outweighs the getting busted part, in my humble oppinion.

Tom Dancs

I would even suggest that we start thinking about keeping rescue and first aid cashes at popular back country exit points.

i dont agree...
DONT LEAVE ANYTHING BUT FOOTPRINTS....

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

i dont agree...
DONT LEAVE ANYTHING BUT FOOTPRINTS....

uh, wouldn't it be a better idea to leave the first aid kit near the LZ? or would someone want to jump it down?

and what happens if the LAST to jump ends up on a carnage dvd?
DON'T PANIC
The lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
sloppy habits -> sloppy jumps -> injury or worse

Yes the cashes should obviously be near the landing areas.

And Faber, believe me I am a strong supporter of LNT ethics in the back country, and teach all my clients to be as LNT as possible. That said most BASE jumpers are unwilling to carry even a headlamp or adequate water, food, and clothing, so talking them into carrying rescue/first aid equipment is unlikely.

Making cashes in the back country, is nothing new. Climbers have been doing it for a log time, the USFS builds shitters, bridges, trail signs, and leaves SAR cashes in popular areas on mountains and back country wilderness areas all over the Cascades and Sierras.

Gear cashes by their very nature are enclosed, secured, and well hidden, and leave no visible impact on the environment (the main priority here) however they need to be managed by responsible individuals.

This entire discussion would become somewhat moot if back country jumpers would all do the responsible thing, and get properly trained in Wilderness First Response (WFR)... Not the same as your weekend first aid course taught by the local fire station. Armed with that knowledge you will soon realize that you already carry a lot of the stuff you need to respond to most survivable injuries.

The Milderness Medicine Institute offers WFR courses in cool places... including Moab.

Tom Dancs

bump