vandev

Age survey...

Hey all, Looking to get an idea of the average age of base jumpers. I dont see many base jumpers in the 40"s range and was curious to see just how many are on the middle spectrum of life. I still skysurf, freefly and love tracking dives and are in the 40's but thats just me. I wakeboard and surf and see that at the dropzone, 40's is quiet common. But usally they are into Rw or in surfing they are longboarding or skiing they are saloming. You see Guys like Laird Hamilton destroying Big wave Surfing In his 40's so who in Base jumping, in there 40's, is tearing it up?B|

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I'm closing in on 47 next month, started BASE when I was 36.

I'm going to hit 40 on the 17th. Can't say I'm particularly thrilled about it, but there's no magical dividing line that forces you to stop living or doing the things you enjoy.

I BASE jump a fair amount. Don't skydive much, but when I do I pretty much exclusively freefly and swoop my FX (when I'm current). I'm certified to scuba dive, but the diving isn't so hot where I live so I haven't done it in a few years.

I'd like to start doing some more rock climbing & camping/hiking as well.

The hardest part about getting older is that you have to work harder to stay in good shape to do these sorts of things. You can't drink a zillion beers, eat like a horse and still stay in good shape like you could when you were 25. [:/]

I don't plan on slowing down any. I do plan on stepping up at bit more with exercise and eating better to sustain the momentum. :)
Oh, and the other hard part about turning 40? It's really REALLY hard to find a companion who tolerates my hobbies. :|

- Z
"Always be yourself... unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

Hey Zennie, Well put....I feel the same way... You have to work much harder at than at 25. Ii feel as if i am also kicking up a bit....My thoughts on this survey is to ask seasoned Base jumpers about how ,if and any changes they feel as they get older about base jumping. I guess to narrow it down is to say it takes allot more awareness and thought process that has to tick like a well oiled machine ,to make these split secound decisions. Its not at all like any skydiving i have done and seems as free and mind awaking as anything i have seen. Doing a 51 second flight in Italy or Neitherlands at least one time, is on my 10 things i do before i die list.... "A side from a three way with Japanese twins".... "A little Austin Powers Humor"....;)

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

I'm turning 39 in August.:o I still make those youngsters huff and puff on those tower climbs.;) The fastest climber and hiker I know is around 42. Go Bob!

Chicks dig gray hair.:P
"When it comes to BASE, I'll never give advice, only my opinion"

The average age for a jumper at Bridge Day was 36 in 2003 and 2004. Both years had about 12% female jumpers. This info should help ya.....cya.
(c)2010 Vertical Visions. No unauthorized duplication permitted. <==For the media only

If I get my first BASE jump before bridge day it will be 21 if I have to wait until bridge day I will be 22.

Greenie in training.

Started Base When i was 24 gunna be 26 next month hopefully i will last till im 40.....most of our crew is in the 30ish range (21-42ish) there is almost 20 of us

cya
Sky

Woah Ted*e*ted! I thought you were 38! hmm.. must have lost a year somewhere in there. So are we gonna have a b-day jumping fest? I'll be 26 on the 23rd! :P
-------------------------------------------
"Scars remind you that the past is real..."

Im 27, and my friend Tom Aiello is younger and cooler than me. What a cool dude!!!!
Abbie Mashaal
Skydive Idaho
Snake River Skydiving
TandemBASE

I'm going to hit 40 on the 17th

im going to forget so happy before bday mate:P

You can't drink a zillion beers, eat like a horse

yeah i already feel that.. [:/] just ask mac:ph34r: i still eat alot and drink alot but im also only 28:):D

It's really REALLY hard to find a companion who tolerates my hobbies.

try shave your balls the girls like it:ph34r:;)

By the way as your old you should find a younger girl that you can play a "father" to,i know a few guys doing that:POfcourse you´ll have to drink a fair amount of beers and eat like a cow,but im sure you can do it..

by the way i didnt see your vid yet(Cyperspace kick in the arse to DexterBASE:ph34r::D,as he is malking a pack for me whith stuff),but im looking forward to see "the old fart in action"B|

Stay safe
Stefan Faber

Im 27, and my friend Tom Aiello is younger and cooler than me. What a cool dude!!!!

Tom A is younger??

reading his posts i can bet he have 100 years of experience

-------------------------
"jump, have fun, pull"

Tom A is younger??

Tom A is over 30, I think 32. Don't kill me if I'm wrong Tom :P

Thijs

You are correct.

Abbie was posting from my house, in the middle of a party. That post probably isn't one that should be taken too seriously.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

I started BASE jumping when I was 18. I'm 31 now, but I guess you could say I feel like I'm 40. [:/]

The biggest thing I have noticed is how I keep upsizing in canopies. I think it comes from 1) I'm getting older and (perhaps) smarter and, 2) Well... I haven't been getting any lighter. :$ I started with a 220 sq. ft. Cruislite (which was my first skydiving canopy) and I just ordered a 322 sq. ft. canopy. B|

Mark

started BASE at 20. now i'm 33, but still feel like i'm 20. ;)
Looks like a death sandwich without the bread - Steve Deadman Morrell, BASE 174

started BASE at 20. now i'm 33, but still feel like i'm 20. ;)

Started BASE at 40. Now I'm 41, but I still feel like I'm 20-something. :ph34r:

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I'm 31 now, but I guess you could say I feel like I'm 40. [:/]

Uh...

What does 40 feel like? :)
I had an illness that went untreated in my teens, 20s and 30s, so I feel better at 47 than I did at 17.

For the record, I made my first skydive immediately after my 37th birthday, and my first of five bridge jumps when I was 39 1/2.

rl

I guess I'm the old man in the group.

I turned 53 in January this year.

Only made 10 base jumps last year.

I'm also still doing tandems, wingsuits and speed jumps.

But it is getting harder.
He who hesitates shall inherit the earth.

Deadwood
Skydive New Mexico Motorcycle Club, Touring Division

Started when I was 19, now 23, but feel like I'm 100...three brain surgeries last year that brought jumping to a sudden halt, with a fourth brain surgery next month. My future in BASE depends on next month, and I feel like a REALLY old man with BASE depending on the very-near and uncertain future.