WickedWingsuits

Red Bull Aces

Wingsuit Cross Racing anybody? Sure makes an exciting change from those solo performance comps I can tell you!

https://www.redbullcontentpool.com/resources/2014/07/18/00001-01000/P-20140718-00222/proxy_normal.mp4
Summer Rental special, 5 weeks for the price of 4! That is $160 a month.

Try before You Buy with Wicked Wingsuits - WingsuitRental.com

Freeflaw

congrats btw dude! Pretty nice result.

Thanks, would have like to be a little higher but got burbled on exit during the 5-8 race and had no chance from the start. Ill take it seeing that I put exactly one jump on the suit prior to the race.

I think the squirrel website has a little blurb saying they hope to have something out soon. Id expect before the end of the summer for sure. I flew a slightly slower floatier verysion that could be closer to production and it was quite nice.

I wonder if there isn't a better option for the exit vehicle. My initial thought was a large A-Star heli or something, but I could see that being both more expensive and more difficult to get the timing down for a fair exit.

Everyone just hucking out of the back of a Skyvan seems to solve the timing problem (though it seems like you can only get 2 out at a time, meaning two will naturally exit in a "pole position" while the other two are in the second row...how was this determined?). But the problem with the van is exactly as you described...there's a decent chance of interfering with one another on exit. Maybe that's just part of the game (e.g. motocross), but it begs the question...is there a better way?
Apex BASE

That was my 1st reaction, 4 out 2x2 means two people have the edge AND there is potential for interference on exit. You could get 4 people on one side of a heli with a red/green light at the end of a pole that the jumpers would be facing when red turns to green they go. Could still be interference but at least all 4 have a shot at it

Skyvan as not ideal yes, but I think its the best they could do for the first event. We did get 4 people exiting simultaneously, but it was tricky. There was a elastic gait that was in place and then released for the start, similar to motorcross.

The course was 4 gaits with gps receiver set up in a slalom format. The glide to the first two gaits id say was just under 2:1, and then a long flat glide to gait three where you had to balance glide/dive to still hit the gait at the right height, but also not have to flare and kill your speed. The coolest part of the race was that the 3-4 gait was very steep so you basically come around the 3rd at close to max glide with a steep carving dive to the finish. Im sure more videos will get released soon of the event, but it was truly amazing to be a part of.

As far as the competition goes, there were 52 competitors. Day one was practice, day two cut down to 32 people for the actual competition. Each race was then 4 competitors with the top 2 advancing to the next round. Smoke was worn for one round, and looked amazing in both the air and from the ground, but was nixed due to the dryness of the area and concern for fire.

This thing really could take off, and it was really fun to watch from the ground in real time as well.

Seems to me like it might be cheaper (and equally effective) to build gates out of tethered balloons instead of helis. It also seems like that would create more consistency with respect to gate location as long as the winds weren't ridiculous, in which case you wouldn't be jumping anyway.

Any insight on that? Was it considered?
Apex BASE

The exit was the biggest issue for me also, I never did nail it with the group. Oh well, maybe next time I hope!

My flysight data all average 2:1 with some steep gates and some flat.

Bluhdow

Seems to me like it might be cheaper (and equally effective) to build gates out of tethered balloons instead of helis. It also seems like that would create more consistency with respect to gate location as long as the winds weren't ridiculous, in which case you wouldn't be jumping anyway.

Any insight on that? Was it considered?

Having a tethered balloon on a 7000ft rope/wire might be a little difficult, and if wing conditions change they would move as well. I wouldnt want to be low on a gait after a bad exit and not be able to tell where the attachment is too.

They were planning on using GPS located drones holding the flags, but I dont think they worked quite as well as planned, but I can see those being used in the future.

"They were planning on using GPS located drones holding the flags, but I dont think they worked quite as well as planned, but I can see those being used in the future."

Now that's a clever idea. Awesome!

Hopefully they can get the FAA to waive the ban on drones for commercial use.*

*I'm not sure if that is even a real law or if it would apply, I've just heard about it a handful of times.
Apex BASE

skow

Just a personal opinion, but I think it adds a bit of "normal" factor to the race and it not being too perfect and tip top like olympics...

There were a lot of good conversations about how the exit spiced things up. It tended to be the people that hadn't been knocked on exit that thought it was a good way to go. ;)

Honestly I don't think most people got too hung up on it this time because it was a test event and was just epic to get to race 4 at a time.

I expect a lot of people would train specifically on the exit. I don't think it would win you the race but it sure could lose it.

WickedWingsuits

***Just a personal opinion, but I think it adds a bit of "normal" factor to the race and it not being too perfect and tip top like olympics...

There were a lot of good conversations about how the exit spiced things up. It tended to be the people that hadn't been knocked on exit that thought it was a good way to go. ;)

Honestly I don't think most people got too hung up on it this time because it was a test event and was just epic to get to race 4 at a time.

I expect a lot of people would train specifically on the exit. I don't think it would win you the race but it sure could lose it.

they copy skicross -- 4 at a time -- when better maybe is copy pro-style -- 2 at a time. 2 from skyvan is clean for both, cost more but fair more for racers. was very cool event anyway and sure to be better next time! way to go everyone!

Slater
McConkey es Dios

hcsvader

Looks like a very cool event that could be great to watch as a spectator, especially if using smoke.

Will be very interesting to see how this progresses :)

It was amazing with the smoke. All the competitors were standing out and watching the other heats. I never really saw how wingsuit flying could turn into a type of mainstream event, now I can