notsane

Z-Flock Wingsuit Challenge Nov 19 -21

Z-Flock Wingsuit Challenge Nov 19 -21

A fun event to push the boundaries of docked flight. Dates of the event are Nov 19-21, 2010. Show up with a team of four and a videographer. Judging will be done solely by video. Any team member can swap positions with the videographer on each dive if they wish.

Nov. 19
Event: TIME TO LINE – the time from a no-show exit to a four-way docked line held for three seconds. Videographer should be outside the a/c looking at the door. Other wingsuiters cannot be touching the outside of the a/c. Wingsuiters form a docked line as quickly as possible after exit. There are four jumps in the event. Team score is the average of the three lowest times. 30 second penalty for early exit or failure to complete formation. One jump is tossed out to encourage strategic “risk-taking”. Lowest average time wins.

Nov. 20
Event: MAX POINTS – maximum points for a docked formation held for three seconds
Wingsuiters form the docked formation(s) of their choice after exit. There are four jumps in the event. One jump is tossed out to encourage strategic “risk-taking”. Team score is the average of the largest docked formation built on each of three jumps. . Only one formation will be judged per dive. Maximum points wins.
Formations are judged as follows:

A hand to hand grip = 1 point
A hand to foot grip = 2 points

Examples:
A four-way docked line = 3 points
A four-way docked diamond = 8 points

Prizes Saturday night for overall 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Overall rank determined by average of both day’s placing.

Nov. 21
Event: Fun dives and sequential docked formations. Head to head bracket racing - Competitors exit together and race around a specified course.. Canopies... winner of each heat advances to the next round. Speed is life, Float will not help in this event. winners are determined by video and Air/ground Judging.. points for proximity to canopies~

No T-shirt, no dinner. $20 competitor entry fee ($100 per 5 person team) goes directly into the pot. First place gets 60%, 2nd gets 30% and 3rd gets 10%.

Prizes in case of tie will be equally split.

Reply here to sign up or contact Scotty or me.

This will be fun!

Scott Bland

Just got done talking to my brother about this. Sounds like fun and I wish I could be there. Come to think of it, if I play my cards right I MAY be able to make it. He wasn't sure of dates, but if these are accurate I might be able to swing it. Dont think Ill be any competition in the flocking events, but in the racing around a course in my V1... who knows.B|

Muff #5048

Hey, just so you know, I do want to be one of the canopies for the racing event.

Are you knucking futs?!? You would have wingsuiters flying circles around you as tightly and quickly as possible. Being a spectator on a blind curve of a rally course sounds safer.:D
Muff #5048

What about a docked formation with backflyers?

Is there a minimum glide ratio for the flights?

Can we sew grippers to the Tib-Fib area in the leg and call that a foot dock or does it have to be the shoe?

Can "inside" video be used for the speed racing?

Great idea, too bad I have zero flying skills.
There are no dangerous dives
Only dangerous divers

No additional points for backflying at this time. That will be considered in the case of a tie.

No minimum glide ratio ... that would be difficult to measure precisely. Wingsuits are required, though.

Anywhere south of the knee is a foot dock. Without low grips, a docked diamond gets too tight.

Any flyer racing is thinking more about speed than videoing their opponent.

Im just an advocate of flying....

Wingsuits are not FS, and having some reward/method to make sure flyers dont turning it into FS with bent legs, arms and arched backs is definately not turning into 'artistic'. But merely making sure people fly their wingsuits, as opposed to freefalling in wingsuits.

That said...Artistic and 'grid' are two things quite a world appart.
One is a method of flying involving proximity, the other a restriction put uppon flying with regards to how close you can get...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

It's a week off ...

I know that other events have intruded, but we're still going to run the event. If we have enough folks to run the competition, great, if not, we will work on our docking skills for the next time around.

FYI, we have Tony Uragallo and Kathy Gillespie-Jones on tap to be our judges.

Either way, it'll be a blast!

If we have enough folks to run the competition, great, if not, we will work on our docking skills for the next time around.

comp or not, we should have a bad ass enough group of flyers there to do some very cool docked formations. I, for one, am very excited at the possibilities. See you all there!

Since I received a few inquiries about it, here's the cool picture of the weekend for everyone...

This is the almost completed diamond we managed to pull off at the zhills challenge.
It didn't last long [that's what she said...]
But it was wicked cool regardless.

Sadly we got weathered out on Sunday and didn't do any more... oh well, next time.

In any case, I for one am pretty stoked about how far along we've gotten on docked formations.
Last year in Puerto Rico we were giggling just as much about the two simultaneous foot docks only lasting for a second, and here we are now, holding that double foot dock for long periods of time, nice and stable, flying smooth enough for someone to come in and half-complete that diamond... I say that's progress. And I can't wait to see even more progress. (winter holidays in zhills, anyone?)

So... inspiration, food for thought, something else to bitch about on here other than politics, whatever you wanna call it, here it is.

Photo (screengrab) by Simon Repton.