Andy_Copland

Prodigy vs Phantom

I have a prodigy available to me anytime and i have started skydiving again, simply to wingsuit.

I took a prodigy out yesterday and had a great time flying so want to buy my own. the prodigy is available anytime to me when i need it but looking on a dealers website they said 0-5 jumps prodigy (which i can get in heart beat) and 5-50 a phantom.

Its made me reconsider buying the Prodigy and maybe going for the Phantom.

Advice from WS guru's would be highly appreciated in this matter.

I'm here to listen :)

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

The Phantom is definately an awesome suit, and for most people wil be all they ever need. In terms of speed and distance, its capable of a lot. And with the zipper system, quick to rig.

And if you should ever concider BASEjumping, its also the suit most people start on due to its high performance, small size, and accesable pilotchute for an easy pull.

I dont know if you're going to be at the UKS boogie next weekend, but if you do, drop by the PF stand with Macca and Me, and we'll gladly let you try one on, and fly one (provided you meet the proper experience levels, both in terms of safety/sanity, as well as general for UK/BPA accepted wingsuit flying requirementsB|)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Definitely go for the Phantom if those are your two choices. If the Prodigy is available to you anytime then there is really no reason to buy one...it will be there if you want to do some more jumps on it. Phantom and Phantom II is a great suit which will suit you well for many jumps to come. It will be good for back-flying, flocking, solos, and pretty much any type of WS'ing you want to do.

Definitely Phantom! You'll be bored with the Prodigy after the first weekend ...

Though the Prodigy def. isnt the same suit as the Phantom performance-wise, (Id rate it at 60 to 70% of what a Phantom is able to do) I know several jumpers who fly the suit fulltime, and are able to give many flyers in big tarps a serious run for their money when it comes to actually flying.;)
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

how many jumps do you have?
cause your profile currently says 106 and that doesn't sound so good.

With all due respect, i didn't ask the recommended jump requirements. Lets just say i have enough experience with parachutes and a good head on my shoulders to know whats a good and bad idea.

Not trying to flame you. Just asking the obvious question since sooner or later somebody will ask it on here. If you have all the necessary jumps/experience, then yeay! welcome to the flock!
And in response to your initial question... Phantom2 for sure! (or T-Bird, R-Bbird etc)

Here we go, typical witch hunt.

170 skydives, 110 BASE jumps.

It's not being cocky, its sick of red tape in a sport i think we take huge responsibility for in ourselves. So how about good advice and back up on the "how many jumps have you got!" as that doesnt tell anyone a damn thing in reality of sport parachuting.

Peace.

Though the Prodigy def. isnt the same suit as the Phantom performance-wise, (Id rate it at 60 to 70% of what a Phantom is able to do) I know several jumpers who fly the suit fulltime, and are able to give many flyers in big tarps a serious run for their money when it comes to actually flying.Wink

How long do you think a new jumper would be happy on a Prodigy2? Is it possible to flock this suit with a DZ full of Phantom2 (and the equivalent BM suit, can't remember) jumpers? All these pilots are 200+ exit weight.

The suit doesn't seem expensive ($850 AUD) and I'm quite light (~160 exit weight), I was considering grabbing one when I pass 200 in a few months... surely it couldn't hurt to put a 100 jumps on this suit? Or will I not be able to fly with others at all and get really bored.

Didn't say i was skipping anything, just dont wanna spend money on a suit i wont use for long when i have it available to me at any time.

Use for what? Skydive or BASE?

Skydive? Go for Phantom.

BASE? You might get more freedom of movement in Prodigy.

Wing area is not primary for performance, but skills. Check the result of the 3rd Hungarian wingsuit boogie.

How long do you think a new jumper would be happy on a Prodigy2? Is it possible to flock this suit with a DZ full of Phantom2 (and the equivalent BM suit, can't remember) jumpers? All these pilots are 200+ exit weight.

The suit doesn't seem expensive ($850 AUD) and I'm quite light (~160 exit weight), I was considering grabbing one when I pass 200 in a few months... surely it couldn't hurt to put a 100 jumps on this suit? Or will I not be able to fly with others at all and get really bored.

Get the right tool for the purpose.
BASE, performance flying or flocking. It does matter what you want do you want to use your suit.

Get the right tool for the purpose.
BASE, performance flying or flocking. It does matter what you want do you want to use your suit.

Small single C182 dropzone. No BASE. Majority of flights will be solos, only 4 wingsuit pilots all up at the dropzone... every now and then a 2-way or so pops up, wouldn't be a weekly occurence though. 2 of the jumpers have Phantom2's, the other 2 similar sized BM's.

Wait until you have a few more jumps then see what's happening in the market.

It's worth making your first flight before deciding if you want to buy a wingsuit. Would suck to spend all that money and decide you don't like it.

Jump more, enjoy and stay safe :)

Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Phantom 2. Seems they improved it even over mine which was just before the zippers came out. I flew similar distances as my v2 in the valley, just took longer to get there. Really easy to land without unzipping the leg. Rock solid on its back, enough so that ive done acrobatics and some backflying on base jumps with it (not recommended early on, or really at all ever)

Small single C182 dropzone. No BASE. Majority of flights will be solos, only 4 wingsuit pilots all up at the dropzone... every now and then a 2-way or so pops up, wouldn't be a weekly occurence though. 2 of the jumpers have Phantom2's, the other 2 similar sized BM's.

I guess now you know what to choose. ;)

Wait until you have a few more jumps then see what's happening in the market.

It's worth making your first flight before deciding if you want to buy a wingsuit. Would suck to spend all that money and decide you don't like it.

Jump more, enjoy and stay safe Smile

Jump numbers are a bit behind, I'll be passing the 200 jumps in 18 months in another 3-4 weeks if the weather stays good.

I'm sure I'll like it, the reason I signed up to AFF was for wingsuits... been having plenty of fun in the meantime, but I have definitely been counting down the jumps.

It wouldn't hurt to have another intro suit at the DZ, I think the DZO's BM intro suit is very outdated.

I guess now you know what to choose.

So you can't fly a Prodigy with a Phantom even if the other pilots are 50-60lbs heavier?

Excuse my lack of finer knowledge.

It's not being cocky, its sick of red tape in a sport i think we take huge responsibility for in ourselves. So how about good advice and back up on the "how many jumps have you got!" as that doesnt tell anyone a damn thing in reality of sport parachuting.

Dude - relaaaax! ;) In the air as well as at the keyboard. And enjoy a Phantom2 - realy nice suit.
I flew a Phantom for about 250 jumps and still own it for the funny acro things.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

So you can't fly a Prodigy with a Phantom even if the other pilots are 50-60lbs heavier?

You can fly with them if you fly well. It might even help you to learn how to fly good because you have to fly good to stay in the flock.
No way you could lend a Prodigy somewhere?
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.