Heffro1

Skydive Elsinore World Record Wingsuit Flock ;)

First, let me sincerely apologize to everyone in the wingsuit community who has been patiently waiting for the picture to be made generally available to the public. I realize that much time has passed, part of which was consumed by my trip to support the other wingsuit bigway event held at Eloy and organizing an upcoming season of events.

I will not pretend I have not read everything from this thread. I understand that the wingsuit community has a right to see the evidence of our accomplishment. I also believe, that the rest of the world has a right to see our accomplishment as well. With that in mind, I was not prepared to jeopardize the publication or distribution of any content, simply to placate the vocal minority.

For this event, we took media distribution very seriously. We enlisted top videographers, as well as media professionals. We take their advice very seriously. One such suggestion, was to not devalue our property (ie. the content video or photo), by freely distributing it online...specifically to Dropzone.com.

We have secured the permissions and can post this now that most of the media coverage for January is in the mail.

This is our proof, plain and simple. (clicky at bottom) As far as we have found, this is the best photographic evidence of the completed formation.

We learned a great deal from this event. We learned there is great difficulty in trying to quantify the success of a dynamic wingsuit formation. As this was the first formation ever judged by "a grid," there was a very steep learning curve. Quickly producing a picture with a grid overlay for debriefs proved very difficult. In theory, it seemed an easy task. In practice, however, we found we did not have enough time, people, and computers to devote to the task. To put it another way, we were inexperienced and ill equipped.

Because as a community we had never used grids or the wider formation spacing before, this event was also the Research and Development session for the use of the grid overlay. I learned a lot, and many participants and observers made constructive suggestions that will continue to improve the idea and process.

I am sure there will be people who say that in strict adherence to our stated objective, we did not complete the formation. That point is valid, and in that regard, I admit this; As far as I have seen (pictures I have personally examined), we do not have a picture which held everyone 100% inside his or her box. What we do have, is a picture with everyone touching their box. I still maintain that we did it - we flew the most successful wingsuit big way to date. We exceeded all the expectations and all the negativity that was laid at our feet prior to the event. We were an international team coming together to further wingsuit flight. For the first time, the wingsuit community came together with the specific task of planning, practicing, and executing a dive with the specific goal of one perfect bigway. And it looks beautiful.

We ask that those who did nothing to contribute to this event, remember that fact when you criticize. We distributed a photograph of the formation in our first mass email debrief. If you did not receive this photo, a photo with the grid and the formation, that tells you one thing...You were not there. We hope you will join us next year to make an even bigger, better formation building on what everyone achieved in 2008.

In closing:

Thank you to all who participated. From you, we have learned a great deal, and will strive to apply all of the feedback and lessons learned next year. As you gave us your all, we too will give you our all in the planning of next years event. We hope that we gave you a professional, safe, and fun event in exchange for all of your hard work and dedication. Congratulations again, you earned it.

For those who didn't participate, and even those who have been consistently negative, we welcome you to be part of the team. This doesn't need to be about egos or brand names. I would rather see us succeed and be taken seriously by the rest of the skydiving community, and we can only do that together.

Jeff N

[wingsuitworldrecord.com]
BUY A WINGSUIT
My Website
Tony Suits
[url "http:/

Chapter 27 of the The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy:

"Seventy-five thousand generations ago, our ancestors set this program in motion," the second man said, "and in all that time we will be the first to hear the computer speak."

"An awesome prospect, Phouchg," agreed the first man.

"We are the ones who will hear," said Phouchg, "the answer to the great question of Life ...!"

"The Universe ...!" said Loonquawl.

"And Everything ...!"

"Shhh," said Loonquawl with a slight gesture, "I think Deep Thought is preparing to speak!"

There was a moment's expectant pause whilst panels slowly came to life on the front of the console. Lights flashed on and off experimentally and settled down into a businesslike pattern. A soft low hum came from the communication channel.

"Good morning," said Deep Thought at last.

"Er ... Good morning, O Deep Thought," said Loonquawl nervously, "do you have ... er, that is ..."

"An answer for you?" interrupted Deep Thought majestically. "Yes. I have."

The two men shivered with expectancy. Their waiting had not been in vain.

"There really is one?" breathed Phouchg.

"There really is one," confirmed Deep Thought.

"To Everything? To the great Question of Life, the Universe and Everything?"

"Yes."

Both of the men had been trained for this moment, their lives had been a preparation for it, they had been selected at birth as those who would witness the answer, but even so they found themselves gasping and squirming like excited children.

"And you're ready to give it to us?" urged Loonquawl.

"I am."

"Now?"

"Now," said Deep Thought.

They both licked their dry lips.

"Though I don't think," added Deep Thought, "that you're going to like it."

"Doesn't matter!" said Phouchg. "We must know it! Now!"

"Now?" inquired Deep Thought.

"Yes! Now ..."

"Alright," said the computer and settled into silence again. The two men fidgeted. The tension was unbearable.

"You're really not going to like it," observed Deep Thought.

"Tell us!"

"Alright," said Deep Thought. "The Answer to the Great Question ..."

"Yes ...!"

"Of Life, the Universe and Everything ..." said Deep Thought.

"Yes ...!"

"Is ..." said Deep Thought, and paused.

"Yes ...!"

"Is ..."

"Yes ...!!!...?"

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

"Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"

"I checked it very thoroughly," said the computer, "and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is."

Happy holidays!
BASEstore.it

Without the grid, the left wingtip is just obviously a random blob of people. But with the grid, it's a "Formation". :D

So, what if the rest of the group was the same mess as this one, but everyone's touching their imaginary box, would this big mess still called a formation?

Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Coolcool...but any chance at the picture without the grid?
Dont think that one really ads anything to the image.

Just posting this as a picture of the best 71 way formation in wingsuits ever would be worth much more to me, than trying to look through some black lines..

Again..amazing stuff...wish I would have been there, and will be next year.
But forget the grid stuff, and just show people the actual formation..which is the cool stuff I care about...B|:)

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

OK, here's a suggestion.

Design the formation as a grid, but allow homogeneous dilatational and
deviatoric strains to get the best fit to the jumpers in the photo. Then calculate the RMS error in jumper position from the best fit grid. If less than 2m, you have a record.

Easy!

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Why not just drop this grid BS and do what is universally recognizable by everyone in the world, be it skydivers, whuffos, media, FAI - take grips? The first true world record then would be some modest 10- or 15-way or something, but it'll be an honest one, and would require much better skills to accomplish.
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

I read the book these days

Unfortunately, that's all a lot of people do, and then they sit back and criticize. They professionally call themselves "critics." Some critics are even really good with a camera. Or writing. Or production.
Most of em' are just dumbasses with a megaphone.

Gene Siskel tried to produce a film once...,It was a dismal failure that didn't even get picked up for distribution. It was shit. But he's known as one of the greatest film critics in the world.
In other words, "read the book"=sit on your ass and criticize. It's easier. One never has to fear failure when one has never tried.
At least Siskel tried.
BTW, Siskel was a genius with a camera. He just couldn't write nor produce. Difference between he and those he criticized... he knew he sucked at filmmaking.
And demonstrated an even greater respect and compassion for those that produce, act, and write films as a result of his own experiences.
For which, Gene Siskel is still today one of the most highly respected film afficionados of world history.

http://wingsuitworldrecord.com/

That was a blast. Let's do it again.

So which jump was this picture taken on? I would have thought 3rd or 4th on Wednesday, but this looks like before the team swaps so it must have been earlier.

Based upon jumper positions (assigned slots on the left wing) and the wingsuit colors, it is a Tuesday jump.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

So which jump was this picture taken on? I would have thought 3rd or 4th on Wednesday, but this looks like before the team swaps so it must have been earlier.

Based upon jumper positions (assigned slots on the left wing) and the wingsuit colors, it is a Tuesday jump.

Correct, it was Tuesday jump 6. From what I can tell, this photo was taken from a slightly different angle and probably a fraction of a second before or after Craig's, but is the closest one I have to the same thing.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Okay yea so the grid thing didn't work out so well, it was still an epic formation and a lot of fun to participate.

Thanks for posting this Jeff, can we get a pic without the grid please?

And next year, pretty please with sugar on top put Mark flying on his back underneath the formation to take stills and video. I (and others) really missed the views from below during the event. All the pictures from above are quite difficult to make out against the background.

Cheers,

Costyn.
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

I am just smart enough to know I'm a dumbass, but I still love you Douglas.

A sad fact is that I have never been part of a complete big way formation, only hundreds of incomplete formations. They have been fun, yes, but after a while you want to move forwards and work towards more concrete distinguishable goals.

A record has the positive effect of bringing publicity to the sport, boosting the profile of wingsuit flying within skydiving, to attract more participants and also to give everyone a solid goal to work towards.

I hate to say it but Yuri has a point, replacing "inside a 3m x 3m box" with "touching a rhombi grid" is only to the end of proving "we've done it" but not the path we should pursue for future formation attempts.
BASEstore.it

Congratulations to all. Thanks to Jeff and the others for putting it together.

I am one of the wingsuit flyers who was not able to participate. I read every post, looked at every picture and wished I was there. I was pulling for you guys, and was thrilled when you accomplished it.

I was really glad to hear in Jeff's recent interview on Skydive Radio that another record would be attempted again, at Elsinore in November 2009.

Will the February 2009 boogie in Puerto Rico be an opportunity to be qualified for the '09 attempt?
... Marion

And next year, pretty please with sugar on top put Mark flying on his back underneath the formation to take stills and video. I (and others) really missed the views from below during the event. All the pictures from above are quite difficult to make out against the background.

Mark himself told me he needed the experience as an organiser/plane captain. Note he did not himself fly base for his sector. Next year, he may be free to do what (I think) he does best in the world. This year, he was not.

(Mark, if I misrepresented what you told me, please hit me in the head and correct.)
Johan.
I am. I think.

Mark himself told me he needed the experience as an organiser/plane captain

Okay, I didn't know this... I still would've liked him taking stills and video below the formation. :)

(Mark, if I misrepresented what you told me, please hit me in the head and correct.)

Unfortunately Mark does not read dropzone.com (or dorkzone/nerdzone as he sometimes aptly calls it), you'll have to ask him personally. ;)
Costyn van Dongen - http://www.flylikebrick.com/ - World Wide Wingsuit News

Thank you to all who participated. From you, we have learned a great deal, and will strive to apply all of the feedback and lessons learned next year. As you gave us your all, we too will give you our all in the planning of next years event. We hope that we gave you a professional, safe, and fun event in exchange for all of your hard work and dedication. Congratulations again, you earned it.

And thank you, and congratulations, on what you achieved. It was great to be a part of.

I am sure there will be people who say that in strict adherence to our stated objective, we did not complete the formation. That point is valid, and in that regard, I admit this; As far as I have seen (pictures I have personally examined), we do not have a picture which held everyone 100% inside his or her box. What we do have, is a picture with everyone touching their box. I still maintain that we did it - we flew the most successful wingsuit big way to date. We exceeded all the expectations and all the negativity that was laid at our feet prior to the event. We were an international team coming together to further wingsuit flight. For the first time, the wingsuit community came together with the specific task of planning, practicing, and executing a dive with the specific goal of one perfect bigway. And it looks beautiful.

So, we did not complete the formation in strict adherence to our stated objective. In my opinion, we do need a different objective for next year, because this one is unattainable. I have long let go of the stated objective (about Monday afternoon of the event :)
I wish more people could and would do that - let go of applying the stated objective to the event, enjoy what was done and focus, separately, on setting an objective for next time. I'll start a new thread on that, because I can't even find the discussion there was about that. Or we could let go of the grid altogether for the next event, use it for debriefing purposes only and accept it won't be any kind of official record. I don't think that's the way to go; I want criteria by which to judge a wingsuit relative work formation. I think it will be better for the discipline. But, if agreed on beforehand, for a formation this size (or bigger), the pretty pictures will do, if they are at least as nice as the ones from this time. :)
This event gave me a first taste of bigways, and I liked it. I never expected us* to fly a slot specific, complete, beautiful formation of this size beforehand, and we did. I met a lot of old and new friends, and it was good times. Looking forward to Elsinore November 2009.

* I guess that makes me one of those who have been consistently negative. Oh, and F*ck The Grid!
Johan.
I am. I think.

good post, awesome event- it did take forever to get the pics out but who cares, there was method behind the madness it seems. ill go back. it was ambitious but thats the only way to move forward.

see you guys nxt year - have a great 2009 everyone.

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

Thanks for a well organized event.

What the grid did do is gave us a measure of what to aim for.
If you look at the improvement over the course of event there can be no arguing the success of the gird system.

Highlight of the event: Free skydive sponsored by Stoney.
Low point: American Coffee (how can you drink that crap)
Wingsuit South Africa