Butters

What is your deployment altitude?

Various beginner to intermediate suits so far, most on a PF Acro. Loading a Sentry 190 at ~1.2. I deploy at 3500 to 4000 or higher as I like that 'extra' time to deal with anything that may arise. I'm sure in time I'll maybe take it down to 3, but likely no lower. I like altitude, it's my friend. :)

I voted 3000, but have taken it down to 2000 to get away from a bigway where separation consisted of letting go of the grips (this was in another country; here, 2500 is minimum legal). But normally, I like to pull somewhere around 3.

Birdman S3S, going on 300 jumps, Triathlon 120 at 1.8, no camera, I don't do camera, with or without a wingsuit.

All of these are very personal decisions which may or may not fit someone else.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Other relevant information: wingsuit, number of wingsuit jumps, canopy, canopy wingloading, etc...

Depends.

400 some odd wingsuit jumps....

V2, base pouch, flik 182. mesh slider, (1.1wl) on my back free-packed, cypres off, anything is fair game.

V2, base pouch, flik 182, mesh slider, in a dbag, cypres on, 2k.

Anytime I use the BOC on a suit with my Sabre 2 135 (1.5w/l) associated rig, the minimum I deploy is 3000'.... Even with my flik and the boc, I tend to pitch at 2500' or 3000' to give myself a little more time.....

I had an opening this weekend that the neptune deployment registered 1800' because my S2 135 spun up wonderfully after I pitched at 3k....

My canopy was diving was faster in vertical velocity than what I had with the phantom flying... not fun. Especially after a 2min 40 some second flight....

Also, I terminate any wingsuit aerobatic type stuff at 3k. Being stupid in a flat spin below 3k is not fun.

_justin

I have a whopping 10 wingsuit jumps, on 3 suits, a Prodigy, Phantom and Firebird. I am waving off at 6 and pulling at 5. I must say I like the extra time to take care of housekeeping and goof around in the cooler air before getting back into the heat on the ground.

To think, open well before 4k and still with 60+ seconds of freefall, I feel like I found a way to get a discount on my lift ticket!

mach 1, 185ish jumps, sabre2 170 @ 1.3, i pull at 3000 on most occasions unless i am really flying for a long time and then i might burn a few more hundred feet, lowest pull ever was 2k on my first 3+ min flight. also, i pack to open fast and deploy in about 1/2 to full flight.
Blue Skies Filled with Birdies,
Jeremy R. Marston

My SOP is track off at 4,500 and deploy at 3,000 to allow time if there are serious canopy issues. So I voted for 3,000

At times I have broken off and deployed higher due to a bad spot and flown home under canopy. Other times I have taken it down to 2,000 to 2,500 in larger flocks.

"Hard Deck" audible alarms set at 1,500 FT; time for the handles.

I'm not sure what you expect to learn from this poll. I didn't vote. My deploy depends on a lot of factors, not just the obvious criteria you mentioned. Saying that it varies between 5000' and 800' won't help you establish a baseline. Do what you can afford to do, don't die and definitely don't hurt anyone else.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

I got 146 flight on Phantom. I have Triathlon 160 on my WS gear, my WL is about 1.45. I pull between 800-1100m. It depends on the location, position relative to the landing area, clouds etc. I prefer to be ready for flying over 600m.

I don't use altimeter in flight just my eyes and audible. I also don't unzip my leg wing, because I can run in my Phantom and my Triathlon does not really swoop.

Usually initiate pull at 3k, but if some of those dirty lodi lowpullers are around I might get convinced to go lower. Ive moved to a square canopy, so I might lower my hard deck just a smidge depending on how confident I get in it. I wont name names, but nothing like pitching at 3, opening, unzipping arms and legs, stowing slider, and then seeing someone that was on the same jump at breakoff pitch ;) oh yah, and s3 with a crossfire 129 usually, now going to be a phantom 2 with a sabre 120.

about 200 WS jumps. pull depends on the suit and currency. Will not worry if I fly a Prodigy and pull as long as I comfortably feel. If flying a Vampire, prefer to be pulling above 3K. Ditto on aerobatics stopping higher. Lowest pull in skydiving environment 800ft (with gear that was setup for fast opening), usual deployment - about 3K when current.

I have 2,800 jumps of which about 500 are Wingsuit. My first 100 or so I was pulling between 4,500 and 5,000. I stayed at 3,000 to 3,500 for my next 350 or so and only recently have become very comfortable pulling at 2,000. Perhaps a spin-up cut-away on my 10'th WS flight made me a little more cautious than I otherwise would have been but as I fly a tame Spectre 150 I am now perfectly happy opening at 2,000.

I'm not sure what you expect to learn from this poll.

I know that there are plenty of variables. However, I'm hoping to learn what the average altitude people are comfortable deploying at is (please correct me if I'm wrong but the average altitude used to be 4,000 feet). I'm also wondering if ...

"The safer skydiving gear becomes, the more chances skydivers will take, in order to keep the fatality rate constant." Bill Booth

... is going to apply to wingsuiters.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

I'm also wondering if ...

"The safer skydiving gear becomes, the more chances skydivers will take, in order to keep the fatality rate constant." Bill Booth

Seeing you started wingsuit flying before the minimal manufacturers specifications for that piece of gear, I think you already have that answer in your hand:P
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I'm also wondering if ...

Seeing you started wingsuit flying before the minimal manufacturers specifications for that piece of gear, I think you already have that answer in your hand:P

Yeah, I know I didn't follow many of the recommendations. :| I'm beginning to feel very (possibly over) confident and have always enjoyed pulling lower so ... I should (need to) keep myself in check.

Edit: Couch Freaks didn't help.

As fun as seeing what other people are doing is, in the end, you should do things the way you feel you need to do them.
And not ask these questions to justify your own (right or wrong) behaviour or (over)confidence..

Surround yourself with friends that have the guts to tell you the truth, instead of only saying what you want to hear, if you ask them for advice..
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

As fun as seeing what other people are doing is, in the end, you should do things the way you feel you need to do them.
And not ask these questions to justify your own (right or wrong) behaviour or (over)confidence..

Surround yourself with friends that have the guts to tell you the truth, instead of only saying what you want to hear, if you ask them for advice..

Trust me, I do things because I want to do them not because others are doing them. So far, what I've been told about myself (from people I trust) appears to coincide with what I believe about myself. Thus, the question is, do I do what others would do because of the amount of risk they're willing to accept (pull high) or continue to do what I want to do because of the amount of risk I'm willing to accept (pull low)?

Voted 4k. Usually between 3.5k and 4k when I have cameras on (large 8lb setup). Although I've gone as low as 2k with cameras on in a pinch (bigway breakoff with too much traffic around) I have been really nervous during those deployments about what I'd do with an entanglement.

Without a camera helmet I'd gladly go to 2500 or so every time. Jumping a Pilot 132 @ 1.5.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com