unclecharlie95

Wingsuit landing DONE @ Z-Flock 4.0

the clock is ticking..

And so it is...and if for only 1 second I doubted that this was anything more then a bad weather stunt, tripping out of a choppper at 1 meter altitude, the 3D animated wingsuiting ponies would be flying all over your screen right nowB|
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

Whit big risk to get mad more the spectators(including me)here is the video what we will get http://youtube.com/watch?v=yPVFW1HU6so

Thanks a lot!!

paco

Ha - very funny...but he was wearing a yellow and black suit (am I allowed to mention the manufacturer yet?).
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

Thank you Scotty,...that means alot coming from you.....and I appreciate all your tips on my flying during the past few months.

Guys and Gals, I have not spent any time on this forum in the past other than to check events and who is coming. I'm also only a two finger typer, a 1000 and beyond total jumper who began in 66 but stopped logging jumps after I became a jumpmaster for Jacque Istel's Parachutes Incorporated( Lakewood/Orange, Ma.) in 1973 or so ( C-8909,..never bothered to get my D),.. and a 240 or so wingsuit flight jumper who was lucky enough to have Jeff Nebelkopf as my instuctor and paid coach ( he is "the man" for me on flying the Tony suits ) However,..I received help from every one I have met since Z flock 3.5 , each listening to my ideas and problems and each offering their insights and assistence to me. The most recent learning experience came from jumping and then staying as a roomate and hiking buddy with a Frenchman named Stephann (Zun) in Puerto Rico after flying behind him in our flocks there.

AS for landing a wingsuit after intentionally departing a flying aircraft/helicopter and then landing it with no chute used and no landing devices or wheels/skids etc,..and on doing it onto totally unprepared hard solid and "level" grass covered ground;.... I wanted to be the first at something in my life,...I wanted to live through it,... to highlight our Z flockers event , and to give some idea of what is now possible......

I "did" what I did,...nothing less and nothing more.

Others ( not me again) will do amazing things that are much more dramatic and well thought out( I hope) and do it when the technology and the person COMBINED ARE "right" to do so and to have at least a 85% chance to BE SUCCESSFUL... Anything less will just perpetuate or even degrade the our current image with the public as something done by mostly nuts with a death wish....

Scotty Burns was going to do my video and stills but his camera lost power, so I have given my permission to the Gray brothers (who jump at my old DZ home in Orange Va) to edit the video, add slow-motion,... add music, and add arrows pointing to the most critical moments. I will not rush them to do this properly and I hope all the other spectators who may have captured video or stills "honor" my then verbal request that they wait to show them or post them until the Gray Bortheres have posted theirs exclusively on Dropzone .com.... ( This is ABOUT and for about "us" ,...as jumpers,...and not about geting cash from millions of wuffos on U tube! ( but that's not a bad idea Chris and Scott---if you want to do it ....but if you do , I hope you will decide to remember to share the proceeds with the man in pain or put them toward Orange's hanger fund or toward some kid's charity.

After you bear witness to what I did ,..if anyone of you are willing to risk a smashed face, a maybe broken but definitely now crooked and dried-blood filled nose,...the two days or more of chest/belly/back aches and (for some reason) the slight pain behind my ear and around my brain stem,...well then, please be my guest and go "do" what I did, to show all your friends how easy it is!

Or better yet,...do the deed from even higher and higher and see how things turn out for "you"

Now,... let me dispel the fall-out theories,...I did not fall out,..and I was not pushed. I departed the skid as directly out into the then relative wind as I could do,... being careful to not "push off" and cause the chopper control problems,... Nigel, our helicopter pilot and David , our crewchief ,...had both warned and briefed me prior to our liftoff on that potential danger to the craft as well as to the spectators on the ground around the landing area if the helicopter lost control and crashed.

Yes,..I was indeed somewhat close to the ground ( but above the one meter suggested in one of the forum replies) Nigel requested at least 12 ft. above the ground to give him the ability to avoid catching a rotor tip....

When I departed the skid I was hoping to be using the helicopter's reverse rotor wash deflection from the ground as well as the "gound effect" ( atmospheric compression under my body near the surface) to establish a cushion to the extent available. I did not get my arms out as far as I would have liked and had envisoned before contacting the ground so I lost much of the benefit these two aerodynamic properties could have offered me.

A more powerful tubine engined helicopter could have allowed me to "push off" better and directly away from the skid without endangering the helicopter or people on the ground and allowed me to further benefit from the aforementioned aerodynamic effects , but this "was", as someone has already suggested, a somewhat "spur of the moment " decision for me because we had low scruddy clouds...( BUT actually with dry cold air at ground level which further assisted my lift and with what "my instruments" detected as negative ionization in and around the landing field and right at the max high tide slack time adjusted for the distance inland to Z hills from each coast.) Alignment was perpendicular to the Northern Magnetic flux lines of the earth for reasons that will become apparent when Jeff actually does a full altitude to earth landing in a modified Tony suit that I hope will incorporate several of my ideas from my years of jumping and my 25 years experience participating in the design and sales of Citation, Israel Aircraft Company, Beechcraft, Gulfstream IV and Hawker 800/800XP Jet Hawker. ( as well as what I saw and liked done in aerodynamic design by Sabreliner, and by my strongest competition at Dassualt and at Bombardier. Remember NEW is not necessarily BETTER!... ( as I proved to my son using a Flexible Flyer sled vs his Rocket/composite sled on the hills up north after a snowstorm)

We did "not" clear the landing area of rocks and indeed I have numerous mirror image bruises from where I believe those rocks likely were when I touched down...I did jump a Tony suit,..but the super mach 1 that I jump has a special wing design that I requested based on what I learned from working 7 years with Cessna Citation, and being the sales liason to the President's Advisory Board there interacting with the Citation's senior designers and manufacturing Senior management. (It's all about fluid dynamics,...lift, mass, gravity, power and drag as well as combining those optimally in the SIMPLEST POSSIBLE WAY.

I spent a full day last October watching and filming the giant Condors in the Colca Canyon of Peru....and how they use their wings and body to ride the thermals and swoop down to land on small rocky cliffs---( magnificent 9 to 12 ft wingspans)

With more planning, and with other resources,....I "could have" eliminated many factors that limited and then caused me harm in this jump,.. but I was not thinking in a fully logical manner when I made the decision to "go for it". (-- and there was no random or compulsary drug or Alcohol testing after the deed, which might have explained to me why the hell I did this?!)...( yes, I was beyond 8 hours and at 12 or 13 from my last Corona) Let's just say I am a somewhat spontaneous person who depends on guidance and thanfulness in advance to see me through tough or dangerous situations.( but not without having "some" thoughts and "dreams' ( "visions"?)and research, study and sort-of preparing before-hand ... as to what I might do)---I just never KNOW exactly "when".BUT I always keep my promises to myself, and this was one of those things I had promised myself to try( to see how it felt and/or to move onto and into my next grand adventure on the other side). Hell,...why do we jump?

I have already offered some ideas to Jeff in the past that I see he has included in his wingsuit designs along with ideas from others and from HIS VISIONS and results of his almost constant test flight mentality. I also want to support Jeff with some of the aerodynamic modification ideas I now have that could bring the day of "typical advanced wingsuiters" landing without a main chute and or possibly with just a small safety chute or a droque chute or two deployed prior to or after touchtown to slow the speed and provide stability....AS USUAL, KISS is the best way to look at whatever man wants to do in nature.

Gotta go, want to find Jeff and start talking to him about my ideas...... Regards to all, "Stoney"
Life is what happens while we are making other plans.

sounds awesome

All the joking and poking from the office-bound people aside...
Im really looking forward to seeing this!

And who knows what this attempt will lead to in the near or far future..

maybe doing it over a swoop-pond will cushion the fall more for higher (speed) attempts?
Though I know water can be as hard as a rock at speed,, this looks like it does help a bit.

Though I was sceptical about it being a true wingsuit terminal landing, I was definitely hoping for it to be. Even if its just so Id finaly have and answer to the non-wingsuit crowd, when they ask "when will somebody land a wingsuit" for the Nth timeB|

Now somebody take a whip, and make this Gray boys edit fasterB|
And tell em not to block my IP due to my nice comments on their account:PB|

JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whit big risk to get mad more the spectators(including me)here is the video what we will get http://youtube.com/watch?v=yPVFW1HU6so

Thanks a lot!!

paco

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ha - very funny...but he was wearing a yellow and black suit (am I allowed to mention the manufacturer yet?).

Oh the Horror!!! The Horror !!!
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

In Reply To

I bet you can't. Now is Tuesday 2003-03-18 13:29:00.000000 CET

Its quite sad, as a lot of people where on the verge of believing this thing.

But then the Gray brothers announced that they where asked to do video, which is highly unlikely, as EVERYBODY knows they are the last 2 people on the planet to ask if you want something framed and actually showing up as more then a pixel

Mccordia --- We have upgraded to the double pixel format. :)B|

www.thebrothersgray.com

In Reply To

But then the Gray brothers announced that they where asked to do video, which is highly unlikely, as EVERYBODY knows they are the last 2 people on the planet to ask if you want something framed and actually showing up as more then a pixel

Less posting....MORE EDITING!!:P

In Reply To

Less posting....MORE EDITING!!:P

The raw video was turned over to Sky Squared Productions to improve resolution from our single pixel standard. In the future we hope to be HD.

The video is being editing tonight and should be finished within the next 24 hours. Sorry for the delay, but we needed to ensure that justice was done to the video given Ray Stone's historic achievement.

Please join me in congratulating Ray and wishing him a speedy recovery.
www.thebrothersgray.com

yuri, come back - the forum gets boooooring without you... nothing really funny can be found here anymore[:/]:)

You know I've seen girls get gang tossed for a whole lot less than a fraction of your statement . Be nice and you can win a dream date with the "P" Mike unit! But you must leave sleeping Yuris sleep.

...The video is being editing tonight and should be finished within the next 24 hours...

It's been 24 hours - now where's our video?!?!
;):P:)
Z-Flock 8
Discotec Rodriguez

Too bad weapons grade stupidity doesn't lead to sterility.

Well guys, without further ado~ the video is posted at~

www.sky2productions.com

Relaunching the website with a brand new look feel and use~ check it out, register, and watch the video. You can even post your thoughts in the forum~ become a member~ And see the most historic moment in wingsuiting~ and thanks to the Brothers Grey for their Dual Pixel technology when my HD was down. Thanks all and enjoy!!

Scotty Burns
Z Flock #11; Muff #1909; PFI #15, USPA Lifer
Commercial Multi-Inst. Airplane/Rotory
www.flyteskool.ws Aerial Photography