fmmobley

My first 2 minute flight

Also, while some would say more speed equals more lift, I would say more speed equals more drag. I don't believe in lift generating vortices, just surface area.:P

Mikoyan Gurevich didn´t believe in surface area. He thought that speed generates lift I assume...

Check the picture.

http://www.airforce.ru/aircraft/mikoyan/mig-21/mig-21smt/index.htm

(I don´t know how to make this clicky...)

And how does that relate to gliding(unpowered) flight?

Keep in mind that a lifting body can achieve lift from all surfaces even without proper wing profiles. A planes fuselage produces minimal amounts of lift while climbing.

You can turn a brick into a lifting body with enough airspeed.

Which is not lift based on the Bernoulli principle, but lift from 'deflection' based on the Newtonian explanation..

Is there a difference?

If you deflect air (Newton) you MUST have a pressure difference. If you have a pressure difference (Bernoulli), you MUST deflect air. You can't have one without the other.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I have to clarify that I defined lift as the Bernoulli's principle not the Newtonian. But you could call that lift as well I guess.

The aerodynamicist's definition of "lift" simply relies on the direction of the force generated with respect to the free-stream direction. No assumption is made about how it happens. Could well be Lift Demons for all that it matters.

Fellow flockers, looks like the thread drift has run its course. Let's return to our regularly scheduled program of Marion busting one out to get over a two minute flight.

M, it was a pleasure to share the air with you this last weekend and see you reach your goal.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Another example of a lifting body. You can make almost anything produce lift with enough airspeed or thrust.

Flying Lawnmower CLICKY>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zT60SkXN1UY

ENJOY

Actually on close inspection these "lawnmowers" are seen to be quite sophisticated aerodynamically and they don't need a huge amount of power to fly well. They only look like lawnmowers from a distance. Their power-off glide ratio is rather better than the best wingsuit and they CAN be landed without a parachute.

I like the Russian flying tank. It was actually built, flown in a test, landed really hard, and project discontinued.

With enough or a correctly designed surface, and power ---- the point anything can fly holds.
WSI-5 / PFI-51 / EGI-112 / S-Fly
The Brothers Gray Wing Suit Academy
Contact us for first flight and basic flocking courses at your DZ or boogie.
www.thebrothersgray.com

Yesterday I managed my first two minute flight. Going from one town to another over the course of two minutes felt like ... flying. :)
PS: Thanks Kathy at Morpheus Technologies, Robert at Phoenix-Fly, and everybody else that has helped me. I wish you could have seen my smile.

"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Congratulations!

But time alone is only parameter for your vertical movement, without any practical value. You can use this parameter just for "time"-competitions like "Wings over Marl".

A practice say "well balance between vertical and forward movement".

With time you will realize it is not about time.

You couldn't have said it better!!

Wellll, he could have put a commer after the first "time" :)

Too fucking funny. Tony is talking about correcting someone's punctuation.:D
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Keep in mind that a lifting body can achieve lift from all surfaces even without proper wing profiles. A planes fuselage produces minimal amounts of lift while climbing.

You can turn a brick into a lifting body with enough airspeed.

I have TWO points:

1. I once had an absolutely psychotic ex-girlfriend who did manage give a brick enough forward speed that it did sustain lift and flew quite well; an act that superceded other talents.

2. Nice flight FMMobley. This is why my freefly suit and RW suit sit in the closet collecting dust and I now have TWO rigs permanantly attached to my Blade and Super Mach 1.....isn't this shit great?!
Flock On!