01Blade

what suit has the best performance

its true I fly a mach1 myself. this past weekend i did about 30 jumps with jeff flying his mach1. i have a piece of video showing us docking then i pitch and he is hundreds of feet above me. you can see him fly away and its very impressive. ill post the video a.s.a.p
Wingsuit organizing, first flight courses and coaching
Flock University
Tonysuits

Don't get me wrong the V1 and V2 are nice flying suits and they were top of the line last year. I am looking forward to what other manufacturers come out with this year. I can say from the experience of flying all 3 suits a Mach 1 out performes both in forward speed and lift.

What happened to the Vampire slayer you flew when you were doing demos out at some DZs in the west. We've never met and I wasn't at the two DZs when you tested your Vampire slayer against the local talent, I was falling through the thin high air at Moab at the time. But I heard no Vampires were harmed in the comparison. Not even a scratch.

Could it be that the V2 pilots in the east are not as high performing as the capable (as demonstrated) V2 pilots out west? Maybe Z-hills is not the epicenter of human flight as some of its denizens would have us believe? Maybe we can take a guess as to exactly whom the fat Americans that VKB is refering to reside?

This is fucking funny. I'm sure that Mach 1 is a blast, but "I achieved 19mph vertical and 139mph horizontal, This is G.P.S. data from one jump." No. You didn't do 19 down 139 forward. That's a point that software charted using data from a GPS device that just went through freefall.

I know you don't like the technical stuff, so rather than get into detail on how wrong GPS data is on that small level, I'll just say that creating an average across 20s - 30s of what you recall as consistent flight is where you begin to get close to accurate data. That's not saying you're full of shit, because I don't think you are. That's saying that GPS devices have a long way to go before they provide anywhere near accurate data for our application. Far better for driving directions and hiking -- or anything where you can hold still and steady for awhile.

I've gotta say, I'm getting so sick of GPS this and I-broke-off harder that. Stand a couple-or-few thousand feet above and twice as far from your landing area. Report back where you opened. This will be result in far more accurate data than anything you'll get from a GPS device out of a plane.

its true I fly a mach1 myself. this past weekend i did about 30 jumps with jeff flying his mach1. i have a piece of video showing us docking then i pitch and he is hundreds of feet above me. you can see him fly away and its very impressive. ill post the video a.s.a.p

I have, as well as other I know, seen this exact scene. The suit(s) in question were the old S3, Matter 2s & 3s, and the Acro. But more specifically from only two pilots regardless what suit they were in. At the end of the jump they still had the stamina and fortitude to go hard and flat for longer and lower it was never about the suit.

I jump a canopy that soaks up the altitude on opening they both fly lower and deploy canopys that can open in 300 feet which they deploy in hard flight.

Blah, blah, blah ...

More manufacturer bashing and trash talk ... I know I'm sick of hearing it. Let's see the best fly their own creations in the same air at the same time and see what happens.

Have a flying start, aim for the runway and pull at a designated altitude. Neptunes keep everyone honest. If there's a clear winner you'll see it from the ground. Simple.

It won't stop the bitching, though...

No, Jeff is obviously not flying a 7:1 ratio, but he can outfly anyone on this dropzone, myself included.

Chuck

It has just become painfully obvious that Z-hills can no longer be considered the area -51 of wingsuit flight testing. And it also completely explains the perception you guys bring, which is not wrong as some of us have concluded prior, but is more accurately shall we say.....limited.

You realize this is no longer a brand war but more of an east coast Vs west coast thing. Jeffro will fill you in on the details of getting comprehensively smoked, out performed, laid to waste.

Europe and the middle east you can be part of this too, convincing the east coast what fat bastards they are will not be easy.

More manufacturer bashing and trash talk ... I know I'm sick of hearing it. Let's see the best fly their own creations in the same air at the same time and see what happens.

I don't think he is manufacturer bashing as he is just not as trusting of the small portable gPS units. I agree! A few years ago I was hiking in steep mountain terrain with a lensatic compass and topo map. Three other hikers were using hand size gPS units. They were off hundreds of feet laterally and about a thousand feet vertically from one another........ and we were just standing still on a hill top not moving along a glide path that a wingsuit would.

You can get GPS units certified to be accurate enough to land an airliner but they are the size of a couple of stacked telephone books mounted in an airliner instrument panel. They are the price of several wingsuits.

It has just become painfully obvious that Z-hills can no longer be considered the area -51 of wingsuit flight testing. And it also completely explains the perception you guys bring, which is not wrong as some of us have concluded prior, but is more accurately shall we say.....limited.

You realize this is no longer a brand war but more of an east coast Vs west coast thing. Jeffro will fill you in on the details of getting comprehensively smoked, out performed, laid to waste.

Europe and the middle east you can be part of this too, convincing the east coast what fat bastards they are will not be easy.

More trash-talking Glen? No-one mentioned that the challenge would involve GPS's and no-one said you can't put your $20 down and get on the load. See you there!

More trash-talking Glen? No-one mentioned that the challenge would involve GPS's and no-one said you can't put your $20 down and get on the load. See you there!

Are you referring to my response to your response of dloi's response about our lack of faith in the small sportsmans gps for accurate Data? Or my response to Smonkeys post about Jeffe being the best @Z-hills and how in a much bigger international pond he may not be the best?

For clarification is any of that trash talking? I'm not claiming, personally, to be the best but would love to be there and fully intended to .... That is until Chuck called me a couch potato.

I don't think he loves me anymore. By all rights I should just send in the $20. More beer for the worthy Phoenix pilots to enjoy.

You realize this is no longer a brand war but more of an east coast Vs west coast thing.

Ya'll just fly from east to west always afraid to stop at the third coast. We just sit here queitly waiting for Skyflock '07............

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

What happened to the world?!? It's like somebody unleashed the dogs in 2007! Everybody is talking about performance, glide ratio, lift and drag, polar curves, the best and fastest suits, writing equations and pouring GPS data...

Crazy people... Go flock or something! :D

2007. The Performance Year. The end of slo-mo in wingsuiting. Let's stop barely moving forward. YOU can make a difference! :)
Android+Wear/iOS/Windows apps:
L/D Vario, Smart Altimeter, Rockdrop Pro, Wingsuit FAP
iOS only: L/D Magic
Windows only: WS Studio

Everybody is talking about performance, glide ratio, lift and drag, polar curves, the best and fastest suits, writing equations and pouring GPS data...

Don't forget what represents a complete wingsuit formation and how to hold a true wingsuit performance competition.

I love our little comunity. How quick we are to try and through manufactuiers under the bus.
I love that we now have so many different brands. Hell, I remember being one of only a few at my DZ with a wingsuit and the DZO juking about if I am still alive in 50 jumps he may try it. I do not understand all of the contempt for other companies breaking into this very small market. Hell, love it and when I can find the money I will buy a Mach 1 just to see for myself.
In the end in my humble opinion, it is does not matter weather the suit is a Birdman, Pheonix fly, a Tonysuit or any brand name, it really comes down to how the pilot flies it. I have been totally blown away by the talent I have seen flying all brands and makes.
I love wingsuits and can not wait till the next level the manufacturers come up with.
Kirk

Jump out the plane turn 90 degree push it hard as long that your arms can hold open in 3500 ft if your protrack says below 2500 ft you are disqualified the person that fly the longest distance is the winner of that round until the 5 best flyers is competing against each other.

Its as easy as that
Bo Wienberg

vimeo.com/bowienberg

This contest should have been held in Holland yesterday..

We could all stand outside, and the first one to take off in his wingsuit is clearly flying the suit with the most lift..(see attached photo, taken yesterday)

120 km/h winds all day with gusts up to 140...sweeet!
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

You realize this is no longer a brand war but more of an east coast Vs west coast thing.

Ya'll just fly from east to west always afraid to stop at the third coast. We just sit here queitly waiting for Skyflock '07............

And, BAM!, just like that the word is out. SkyFest is now SkyFLOCK. If I can drive my sorry ass two days from Florida, all you SoCal fruit boys can sure as hell make the trip to the Texas Republic for the first "real" mid-USA wingsuit event. Yes, I am serious.

I had actually thought Jason or Ted would have said "the word" before now!

Chuck

In a Mach 1 I can put 1000 feet of vertical separation between myself and other pilots(of other wingsuits) in seconds as unbelievable as that sounds.

It takes 15..20sec to loose 1000' in a maxed out suit. It would take a full minute to gain that much altitude over other suits if your vertical speed was only two-thirds of others (a huge stretch already).

Would it be possible to make a maxed out jump with Neptune and post 12-9-6-3k averages to substantiate this claim? I do realize it won't have much to do with L/D, but still... please?

bsbd!

Yuri.

When the jump if going down at 70 mph or so, 'flaring' the suit can cause such a massive difference in altitude (if the rest keeps on falling at the same speed)

but from being under canopy, and watching someone pull a 100 feet lower then me, it always looks like way way lower....eyes can tell you different things someone...

Sure its actual 1000 ft of difference...or just thinking it looks like 1000 ft?
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

And, BAM!, just like that the word is out. SkyFest is now SkyFLOCK. If I can drive my sorry ass two days from Florida, all you SoCal fruit boys can sure as hell make the trip to the Texas Republic for the first "real" mid-USA wingsuit event. Yes, I am serious.

Chuck

Well If Ed stops by in his 172 to get us we'll go. We have to go air as the state troopers won't let us in with Cali plates.

First couch taters, now fruit boys? you're rackin up up all kinds of PA points, aren't cha?

If your protrack says below 2500 ft you are disqualified Its as easy as that

Why? Our governing body sez I can pull at 2000.

Because the race ends at 3500 (or is that 2500?) feet. You open at the designated hard deck and see who got the furthest.

And that is the problem with using altitude in determining where the end point is. If I open at 3k instead of 3.5k, I'll be another 500 to 1000 feet further along.

The other problem with using altitude as the end point is that one guy getting a glide ratio of 1:1 will fly 2 miles and open over the swamp. Another guy getting a 2:1 glide ratio will fly 4 miles and open on the other side of the airport. Neither will be back at the DZ any time soon. :S

I know if I'm past the DZ and over the middle of the airport at 5k, I'm pulling. Turning back into the flight path of some 20 other wingsuiters is not an option. And, I'm sure not going open at the other side of the airport at 3k.

That's why the most reasonable way to do this is to have the jump run be the starting line and the parallel runway be the ending line. The less altitude you loose, the better your glide ratio.

A flying start groups everyone together (and wastes altitude doing that - and assumes everyone will be able to get to the line in time for the start) and so when it comes pull time you now have to scatter. That's something I'd rather be doing above 3k.

Flying starts are great for video in the first 5 seconds, but after that people will be too far apart to get any good footage.
Play like your life depends on it.

This contest should have been held in Holland yesterday..

We could all stand outside, and the first one to take off in his wingsuit is clearly flying the suit with the most lift..(see attached photo, taken yesterday)

120 km/h winds all day with gusts up to 140...sweeet!

If Yuri put some animal balloons in the leading edge of that guy's sleeves, he would probably be able to take off. :D

So, Jarno, how come with these kind of winds we are not reading about somebody landing a wingsuit in the news today? :)
Mike
Play like your life depends on it.