EXTremeWade

How about the PHI

I am seriously looking into this suit (PHI), and have read a lot about it on the BirMan website, but anyone here have some expereinces they could share with me as to better my decision...

I have heard this suit was intended more for tricks, and more advanced acrobatic manuevors..?

If anyone here has jumped the FireBird, what did you think in comparison to the PHI?

Any help besides this question is greatly appreciated..thanks for you time and any inputs..

I was seriously looking at getting a Phi. After a lot of emails and phone calls I was talked into ordering a Firebird instead. This is because a lot of experienced wingsuiters and instructors I talked with said they enjoyed flying it a little more than the Phi. Get what you like, just thought I'd share what I learned. I really like the looks of the Phi, but I want to get something I'm going to enjoy for a long time.

Hope this helps. I haven't recieved my Firebird yet so I can't give you a review. I'll post pictures of it here first chance I get. Hopefully, it will be waiting for me when I get back from Iraq.

"I promise, I will never die."

i have put around 100 jumps on a phi now ... have another 2 months to go before my new s3s arrives so ill have to do a few more on it. i think its a good beginner suit, i think it takes alot more effort to fly than other suits belly down, it definately has some advantages having inflation inlets on the back but i suppose that depends what you are looking to do. i tought myself to back fly in the phi and it wasnt that easy because the inlets inflate pretty quickly and if you dont have your arms and legs open at the same time or open your legs with your arms not fully inflated at first it does create a funny wing surface which sends you in even funnier directions. I had trouble finding the right fit (due to them only coming out in standard sizes) and had to mod the booty. I have also had issues with the leg wing inflation in full flight, these two issues are most probably related - i have seen posts of other pilots having the same problem. the materials used and look of the suit is exceptional. if i could choose again i would probably have waited a little and got a s3s sooner. but thats just me. my score ~ if A+ is first in the class (which is what i rate the s3s which i have jumped) it is a B- in my opinion

~ time is ~ time was ~ times past ~

So what is your recommendation?

I think Chuck was probably trying to avoid turning this into a "my suit is better than your suit" type pissing contest. Which is probably why he didn't recommend a specific suit in his public post. You might try PMing him if you want to discuss specifics.

Anyway what suite would you recommend as a first suite? Used Classic/II, Gti ? New Phi or Firebird?

I like the strategy of buying a used first suit, so that you can practice on it, "grow" into wingsuit flying, and generally much things up with a cheaper suit. With that in mind, the Birdman GTi is a good choice because (a) it's pretty beginner friendly, (b) it's widespread, so lots of people can give you tips on it, (c) it has plenty of range, so you won't get bored and want to trade up too soon, and (d) there are plenty of used GTi's floating around.
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Anyway what suite would you recommend as a first suite? Used Classic/II, Gti ? New Phi or Firebird?

I'm with Tom, if you want to go used GTi is great. If you have the funds to go new though, the Firebird is a step up, and as suitable for newbies. B|
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I'm with Tom, if you want to go used GTi is great. If you have the funds to go new though, the Firebird is a step up, and as suitable for newbies.

Erm....and what aboutbthe Phantom as a 'learning' suit off your first few flights on something ....
Whaddya think??

Erm....and what aboutbthe Phantom as a 'learning' suit off your first few flights on something ....
Whaddya think??

I like the Phantom. And I generally like the Phoenix Fly suits better than the Birdman suits. In my opinion the Phantom is a better overall suit than the GTi (wider performance range, better top end, etc).

But the Phantom misses out on a couple of the points I made in favor of the GTi as a good first suit.

There are not a bunch of folks out there who've done a bunch of Phantom flights. Tons of people who are now on more advanced suits did time on GTi's and can help with them.

There are not a bunch of used Phantoms on the market. Hence it will be harder to find a (cheaper) used Phantom in your size.

Not everything is about "my brand is better".
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

What are these points that the phantom is lacking in? Just curious.

I think he means these points, mainly about the newness off the suit, not necessarily the design(as I interpret):
There are not a bunch of folks out there who've done a bunch of Phantom flights. Tons of people who are now on more advanced suits did time on GTi's and can help with them.

There are not a bunch of used Phantoms on the market. Hence it will be harder to find a (cheaper) used Phantom in your size.

I have never jumped the Phantom

I'd happily let you jump mine but you called it ugly. :P

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

But the Phantom misses out on a couple of the points I made in favor of the GTi as a good first suit.

What are these points that the phantom is lacking in? Just curious.

The one's I mentioned in the next two sentences, above.

1) Fewer used, cheap Phantoms available.
2) Fewer experienced Phantom pilots to answer questions and give pointers.

Remember, we're not looking for the best suit, here. We're discussing recommendations for a first suit. I like a used GTi because it's cheap, common, and lots of people know it (cue lame joke about ex-girlfriend here).
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

So what is your recommendation?

Out of the two choices he asked me about, I told him to buy a FireBird if he was really wanting a new BirdMan wingsuit. A Phantom would be another decent suit at his experience lever if he were asking me about suits without back venting.

I neglected to answer the second part of your question, so I will do it now. I would recommend ANY used entry-to-intermediate-level wingsuit that you can fit into as a first suit. There are quite a few Classic, Classic II, and GTi's out there that can be had for as little as $300 bucks. There are also a number of mono-wings out there on the used market. The bottom line is that you simply probably ought not go out and buy yourself an original SkyFlyer as your first suit, even if it fits perfect. Same for any other big-winged performance suit.

I'd happily let you jump mine but you called it ugly. :P

Funny, I've never seen an ugly wingsuit:D.
In fact I've yet to see any of the Phoenix suits in person other than one Vampire. I hope that changes BTW.

Used suits are a bargain and a good route to your final high performance suit. But just like some people don't need the highest in performance and want to be nothing more than the occasional social flocker and put more emphases on custom colors and style, then a new suit would be right for them.

In fact I've yet to see any of the Phoenix suits in person other than one Vampire.

Thats kind of strange being your in Cali.
Here in Texas we had a flocks with Acros, Phantoms, Prodigys, GS1s, GTIs, Classics and a Vampire on site but not in flight as everyone was playing with different types of suits this weekend. Hopefully the trend will continue.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid