RkyMtnHigh

Birdman GTI

I'm about to pee my pantz laughing so hard!:D:ph34r: why did I just KNOW you'd say that Tammie! I know I know it's a good deal, but some are PM'ing me about change in technology and why buy older technology...but all I care about is learning, doing well and being able to flock with the mother of all flockers, right?;)

Right! Have him sell it to you cheap then when everyone is tired of the 'new' technology and moving on, you can buy their suit cheap! :P

Tammie, you diiiint:$:P expose my secret to getting a good deal;)...nah, he's a friend and kuhl dude...its a win/win......

mmm...beautiful royal blue, black and white...(dreamy)..just don't me let my f'd up landings dirty that beautiful wingsuit:ph34r:

Cool cool, someone's going birdie!

I wouldn't worry too much about "old tech". You're buying your first suit, not your last one. Heck, I think Cynthia has a classic and I could barely keep up with her and Matt in my PHI.

As long as I can "hang" with you birdies..that's my point of buying Pete's GTI..it's really a good deal based on the PM's I've rec'd and it's in new condition...Look forward to flocking with you birdies soon;)

IMO the Firebird is the best beginner (and intermediate/all-around) suit on the market (that I've tried), but the GTI is the next best thing... I put nearly 100 jumps on mine before buying my S3, and if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't change a thing. B| If you're getting a good deal on the used GTI (which you are), go for it. But not until AFTER you've made a jump! :S
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

HI,

I have a GTI and it is awesome. Definately not old technology. It whips ass with the best of them for sure!

It is also how you fly and it is a great suit to learn in and kick ass in when you are good at it.

It is not too radical to put on your body for the first time!

Enjoy

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

IMO the Firebird is the best beginner (and intermediate/all-around) suit on the market (that I've tried), but the GTI is the next best thing...

Not trying to start a brand war, but honestly interested in your thoughts, since you seem to be fairly open minded as far as the brand thing (which is a rarity around here, it seems).

Have you tried the Phantom? What's your take on Phantom versus Firebird as intermediate/all around suits?
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

No, I haven't tried the Phantom yet. I've flown next to one twice though.

Once was Perry, and he was seeming to have a very hard time controlling it, but it was his first time in the suit so it admittedly doesn't mean much.

Then this weekend I flew with Rebecca in her new Phantom. She doesn't have many WS jumps, and I made her chase me on my back (I'm still learning backfly, so I'm not a super stable base), and she was able to stay right on top of me the whole jump, which I was very impressed with. She seemed to have a good range in the suit, especially for her experience level.

I will try one when I get a chance and post my thoughts, and I appreciate your compliment, but I will be the first to admit that while I try to be objective, I will usually lean toward the BM side just because that is what I am more familiar with, among other reasons. I had the chance to put 10 jumps on the Firebird at Rantoul while I was working for BirdMan - I was too busy to take it off my rig after the first jump so I just left it on. In those 10 jumps I got a really good feel for it so I feel confident in recommending it. The Phantom may be a great suit but even if I try it, I doubt I'll jump it enough times to really understand it. I have one Prodigy jump, and the same thing applies there. I did hear some good comments about the Phantom from local jumpers at Hog Flop this weekend... they were saying that newbies were doing better in the Phantom than in the Prodigy, something I think sounds very believable based on my experience with both suits.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Perhaps you might be lucky enough to get Omar to do an intermediate suit review, like he did with the acrobatic suits. I think he did a good job of it last time.
Both suits seem to work well but for the habitual hair-splitters that need an emipirical answer requires thorough back to back testing like Omar did.
"The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it. " -John Galt from Atlas Shrugged, 1957

Hello Katee,
Get the first suit you can get your hands on.
Then, save all your money, and buy the next one available of a different kind.
New, used, old technology, new, whatever.
All suits are made for flying.
All suits of all brands deserve to be flown.
Have fun flying.
Avery
==================================

I've got all I need, Jesus and gravity. Dolly Parton

http://www.AveryBadenhop.com

Scott Bland Scotchguarded his S3, with many coats according to him. I was gonna do mine but never got around to it, and with so many jumps on it now there's no point. I have washed it a few times. A couple weeks ago I had a brain fart or something and found myself sliding on my ass. There was a huge grass stain on the royal blue, but I tossed it in the wash and it came out no problem.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I've scotchgarded old F-111 canopies and had them dramatically improve their flare as a result.

Hmm, interesting thought.....

BTW Tom, (I know you were asking Matt, but I always have to put my $.02 in!) I absolutely adore my Phantom! But, as Matt pointed out, I am also learning on this suit, I did my first 3 jumps on a Gti, the next one on a Prodigy, and I found them all very easy to fly considering my new-ness.

I also got to get a close look at a sugar glider this weekend and I think it might just be my next suit (in a couple hundred jumps) Amazing craftsmanship and quality! But very different!

Rky, I think a Gti is a great suit for starting! It has amazing range for flocking with other beginners to keeping up with more advanced flocks you'll be doing in 100 jumps! I have never ever heard anyone say anything bad about it, the hard part in being a chick and getting a used suit is finding one to fit you properly. (See next paragraph for more info)
But I agree with Matt that you should do a WS jump first to make sure you are ready for the nylon crack before the investment, I didn't get the impression Pete is in too much of a rush.

AHEM.. Anyone else in the market for a couple used Gti's? Yes my dumbass bought not one but two before I buckled down and bought a new suit. *Price discounted dramatically (after I saw what Pete is selling his beautiful one for) ;)

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

AHEM.. Anyone else in the market for a couple used Gti's? Yes my dumbass bought not one but two before I buckled down and bought a new suit. *Price discounted dramatically (after I saw what Pete is selling his beautiful one for) ;)

Wait a minute, is this 2 suits in addition to the Classic (?) I was holding onto for you? Either way, that is at least 3 wingsuits you've bought in 12 jumps? :S And didn't I overhear you saying to somebody this weekend that you have bought 4 skydiving rigs in 300 jumps?

I think you have a problem, girl... :D But Kris has still got you beat as far as wingsuits go. ;)
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Wait a minute, is this 2 suits in addition to the Classic (?) I was holding onto for you? Either way, that is at least 3 wingsuits you've bought in 12 jumps? And didn't I overhear you saying to somebody this weekend that you have bought 4 skydiving rigs in 300 jumps?

I think you have a problem, girl...

Tee hee :$
I didn't actually say that! I was talking to a friend when I mentioned I owed a mutual friend some money. I either stated or was asked what the money was for, and upon mentioning I was buying a rig from him, you overheard him ask me how many rigs I have now. I wouldn't mention that unless asked. But alas, now the secret is out. :$

However, I only have 3 wingsuits, the one you were holding for me was a first generation Gti, the fabric is thicker, that might be why you thought it was a classic.

Yeah, so I guess I'm a collector....

I buy stuff with the intention of using it, but then I find other stuff I like more and have trouble selling stuff. [:/]
Sometimes I buy stuff I am not ready to jump yet, cause I keep thinking I am jumping at my old pace and will be ready to downsize sooner than I can. I got over 200 jumps my first year, and only 18 last year :(

Technically I never bought the Talon rig I have, it was given to me and then it turned out I had to put about $300 into updating it. It got me through my first slew of jumps, though, and helped me out alot when money was tight.

I don't even know how many mains I have, last count was 7, so if ya ever lose a canopy when Pete's not around, I always have one handy you can borrow! ;) I really did bring an extra main to Palatka for that purpose! :D I also bring extra risers, slinks, pilot chutes(Pull out and throw out), alti's(I had to use my backup on saturday when I misplaced my primary one), lotsa extra goggles, and of course you always might need a crescent wrench or zipties, rubber bands, tube stows... I stopped bringing extra helmets a couple years ago, they're too bulky.

Hey I like to be prepared! Just wait till I get my rigging ticket and then I will have to get a van! :S

Seriously, though, I do have one Mirage G3M1 with Unisyn, one old talon complete with reserve and zp main, one Gti, a couple jumpsuits, one helmet, and a couple mains that I think I can manage to part with if anyone's interested! :$:D:)B|:$

"I know it's friday night, but come on. Surely there's something better to do than yell at people on the internet?" - Tom A.

K,

If you haven't already done so - buy the GTi asap.

Jump it lots for a few months.

Then buy whatever good deal is out there for a used S3 or similar. On-sell your GTi to the next chicklet needing to leave the nest.

Forget scotchguard for keeping it clean - simply wash it occasionally. I have 4 wingsuits suits currently - and have owned 3 or 4 others. All get a bit smelly after each 20 or 30 jumps so regular trips to a gentle cycle in the machine or simply handwash in the bathtub are a good investment.

My latest wingsuit is virtually all white and got a bit muddy after landing in mud following a heavy storm. A quick hand wash brought it back to new in no time.

Oh yeah - if you really want lots of wingsuit jumps later this month, come down to Australia for the Byron Bay boogie. It's from November 26 to 30 at one of the most beautiful drop zones in the country, right on the spectacular coast in northern New South Wales. Then stay til christmas for the boogie at Picton, near sydney. We Aussies will be setting lots of records as we have lots of fun.

Life is good.

Blue Skies,

fergs
BMCI
B|