Weeeee

fly back into the plane

Hi,

anyone thinking of trying to do a Gayardon, and fly back into the plane ?

I've given some serious consideration to it.. was thinking about the possibility of doing it with a casa but haven't spoke in depth with anyone. I think the porter may be one of the better planes to do it with, but really haven't picked anyones brain on it too much.

Kevin

I'm not. I'm happy to play with the plane.

We use a Porter, and with one of the pilots I can stay with him till 5000ft AGL when I need to break for home or walk. Debriefing the dives is a lot of fun as the pilot doesn't jump - and so has a lot of
respect for people who can fly "Like a little missile chasing the plane"

There are some requirements though. There are times when the Porter banks, or you're above the wing when the pilot cannot see you. Your patterns and decent should be highly predictable and if they appear to be doing something new - it's time to end the game.

Your decent rate may be quite high. In South Africa we have no noise
restrictions, so the pilot's are allowed to use the prop pitch to brake the plane on desent. Some of the gentle decents I've seen in the US
may make a "fly back in" a very difficult task. I think probably 80% of
the skill involved in a "fly back in" stunt is the pilot's. We can only do it if they place the aircraft within the flight perameters of our primitive wings. I'm guessing the wingsuit jumper needs the bulk of the balls though.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I don't think it will be possible to fly back into a tail gate aircraft.

Once the rear hatch is open the air flow is very turbulent behind the door and you will have very little lift and control once you come near to the aircraft.

In the video of Deug you see how he drops quite hard against the door frame of the porter.

You could always try to use momentum to carry you though :S but the delicate approach alla Deug seems more do-able.

If I remember correctly they changed the prop of the porter so that it could glide slower in a dive.
BASEstore.it

Once the rear hatch is open the air flow is very turbulent behind the door and you will have very little lift and control once you come near to the aircraft.

Yeah this was the one thing I had a question about... guess that answers that.

If I remember correctly they changed the prop of the porter so that it could glide slower in a dive.

I think the faster suits and higher skillsets available today may negate the need for a change of prop.

t

I think they had the prop shut off and the plane was in drogue-fall/glide (special drogue designed for this purpose probably). The drogue was cutaway once the jumper(s) were back inside, and the prop was restarted.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

I think they had the prop shut off

Really? Oh. I retract my earlier comment about the jumper needing the bulk of the balls. I'd shift that to the pilot with the dead engine and a drouge in tow...:o

Sure you're not confusing Patrick's stunt with the pic I've attached though?

t

I think they had the prop shut off and the plane was in drogue-fall/glide (special drogue designed for this purpose probably). The drogue was cutaway once the jumper(s) were back inside, and the prop was restarted.

Where did you hear that? I'll have to go back and look at the video.. the prop thing might be right but I don't know about a drogue on the plane - that doesn't sound right.

BTW the video is here

Are you thinking of Good Stuff? They used a drogue on a Porter for getting freefliers back in the plane. It wasn't De Gayardons stunt though.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

YES YES YES... I was referring to the thing in Good Stuff. Did not know about Deug's stunt. Sorry. :$

EDIT: Footage of Deug's stunt anywhere?

EDIT 2: Pic attached. How does one get to "Deug" from De Gayardon anyways?
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

Don't confuse Deugs aircraft re-entry with the Joe Jennings freefall re-entry 2 years ago.

The Porter used by Deug had NO drogue

The Porter used by Joe Jennings had a large custom built drogue for the plane to have a suitable fall rate in a vertical nose dive.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

That project started in Perris Valley, California.
My old boss, Scott Christensen (sp?) sewd up the first few drogues at Adventure Sports Loft (Perris, CA) and initially attached them to a banner (or glider) tow hook on the tail of a Stinston. Later attempts used an ultra-light and eventually they moved to a Pilatus Porter based in Eloy, Arizona.

We use a Porter, and with one of the pilots I can stay with him till 5000ft AGL when I need to break for home or walk. Debriefing the dives is a lot of fun as the pilot doesn't jump - and so has a lot of
respect for people who can fly "Like a little missile chasing the plane"

t

Tonto does your porter pilot maintain the aircraft in a forward slip, use beta or just feather the prop to keep it slow enough? I have never flown a wingsuit from a porter are they "dirty" enough not to gain 20-30 knots on us wingsuiters when both flyer and craft on are comparable glide slopes?

All of my Otter RW work has the plane slipping away but it is a nice view for a great many seconds.

(some red wine, brie and a baguette may help you nail the accent)

Is that all at the same time? I was wondering the best way to improve my french accent - maybe i'll try this approach...

Don't try it Kevin. [:/]

I have been at it for many nights over the years and all it has done is make wine snob, make me want to live even closer to Napa, and I have enough corks to build a fricken boat! :P

Just move to France, you'll learn it quicker. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

He uses Beta. I start out quite far above and behind after exit and chase him fairly flat, trying for forward speed. Then he does a fairly sharp 120 turn. (This is where he loses visibility) This allows me to cut the corner and be nearly above him by 2-300 feet, maybe 50 - 100 ft back. It gives me the altitude to trade for speed to close the gap.
While this is happening he does a slow 60 degreee turn onto his downwind leg, about a mile away from the DZ. It's this mile I need to cover at least a chunk of from 5000ft to prevent a poor spot after deployment.

t