callmewhuffo

can a whuffo be a rigger?!

ok heres my story :) lol. anyway, i dont really know anyone well in the sport but him, and im interested in becoming a rigger. i know you start with packing and work your way up. so i guess my question to all of you is, is it realistic for someone who doesnt jump to become a rigger? and if it is, how would i go about becoming one? is there a class offered at a DZ, or do you just become an apprentice to someone who already IS a rigger? im in the dark about the whole process, but its something i really want to do. not only would i feel more a part of the sport, i could actually SEE my husband on the weekends!! lol thanks for your time, and thanks in advance for any input.

Big Blue Ones to all of you! God Bless!

basically i LOVE skydiving as long as its not me doing the jumping. is that weird?

Nope, not weird at all. I've known quite a few spouses of jumpers who felt the same. They worked in manifest, learned to pack mains, sold sandwiches, hung out, etc. They were as much a part of the small dz I used to jump at as the jumpers were.

Guaranteed your husband would appreciate you being a rigger - nothing like a free reserve repack! :ph34r:;)

That's not odd at all. :)
We've taught many non-jumpers to be riggers, got them tested and certified and back to work.

Rigging is about technical understanding and specialized skills...jumping out of a plane has nothing to do with it.

In fact, we taught a couple of NASA guys how to rig because their job description demanded it...and these guys are lucky if they get outdoors once a day, let alone getting anywhere near a skydive!

Of course, it's always helpful to have done at least a few jumps so you can relate to what someone is talking about when they're explaining a problem to you. But that's certainly not a pre-requisite.

Many people apprentice under a rigger for some time and then go take their tests with the FAA and DPRE. Still others go through organized courses for a week or so to learn the basic skills and get their certification, then work next to their local rigger to refine and hone those skills over the next several months or years...it all depends on how you learn best, how much time you've got and what your finances look like.

Best of luck!

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.
For there you have been, and there you long to return..."

ok, so i looked into para concepts, as they are out of skydive chicago, where my hubby jumps. they offer a packing class which i will be taking on saturday. hopefully even that wont be over my head lol. what i am worried about is whether or not a rigger there would even want someone with no jump time working with them. and also, do dropzones have policies for people working as apprentices to riggers. given that i know NO ONE at the dropzone, and that my husband really doesnt know anyone either yet, how do i go about finding a rigger that will let me watch? im totallly in the dark about where to start. any info? :)
PS: if yall know any riggers at skydive chicago and you wanna help me out here i wouldnt be opposed! ;)

Depending on which DZ you apprentice at (not just in Chicago, but anywhere)...

...You will generally find that lofts are always looking for help. You might not get paid until you've earned your ticket or have paid off you time there...but if you're willing to look at it as an education paid for in sweat, there are lots of places that would be happy to have another set of hands around!

Like I said, one of your considerations is your budget. If you can make the $$ side work, the rest will work itself out.

Why not go and ask the Chief Rigger at your DZ what he thinks about it?? I'll bet you'll be happy with what he says!:)
P.S.- you do realize that riggers work inside, right? You might not get to see all that much of your hubby after all! :P

"...and once you had tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward.

First of all,I do not want to discourage you in any way.I know of a few packers who have never made a skydive, or for that matter, want to. I personally do not allow non jumpers to touch my rig,particularly my reserve.I know of more than several jumpers who feel this way.
On the other hand, there is no reason you couldn't be a very competent rigger.
---------------------------------------------------------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

LOL! well i dont expect to get paid. me making money is of no concern to me. as far as money put out, i'll find a way to manage that. if i can just find someone somewhere that'll let me hang out and learn from them, im all for it. but my question to you is, what is a loft? [:/] dont laugh at me lol im tryin here!
thanks....every day i see more and more reasons why my husband likes to spend so much time with you all. blue skies and god bless!

The main weekend rigger at my DZ is a 15 year old kid. His parents skydive, so he learned to pack, and walks away with 50-80 bucks a day on Saturday's and Sundays. Not bad at all for a 15 year old. He's cool too, everyone there trusts him with their life without giving it a seconds thought, he really knows what he's doing.

-Kramer

The FAKE KRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMER!!!!!!!!!

at Skydive Chicago...
Kirk is the hmfic in the rigging... ask for him and do it on a slow day.... if you ask on saturday when all hell is breaking loose, even a certificated rigger doesn't stand a chance.

Call and ask to speak to Kirk in a tuesday (slowest day at every dz). Explain what you're looking for and that you'll "watch-learn" for free and want to help all you can. Spend a few months helping and soon you'll be indispensible.

Chris

I think it's great that you want to be involved in the sport with your husband. He would definitely love to be married to a rigger :)

Anyway, I'd encourage you first get comfortable packing mains. Learn what lines go where, how to hook-up a main, etc. Your husband can probably help you all this.

Then, buy Dan Poyter's rigger's study course, and start reading.

Then, pay to go to a rigger's course. I think they have one at SDC each year, and there are also other good ones elsewhere.

Best of luck!

Sure, a whuffo can become a rigger without ever making one jump, the military trains thousands of non-jumping riggers every year.

Entry to the Canadian Sports Parachuting Association Rigger A Course requires a minimum of a B Certificate of Proficiency, but that is mainly to ensure that candidates understand the basics of main parachute components and packing. Rigger instructors do not want to waste time teaching basics.

However, Barry McAuley (head of CSPA's Technical Committee) assured me that if a junior jumper demonstrated enough background knowledge, he was willing to waive the "B" C.O.P. pre-level.

For example, when I started the Rigger A Course, I was shy a few reserve pack jobs, but my memorizing Poynter's Manual, Volume One put me so far ahead of the other candidates - in terms of knowledge - that the Course Conductor allowed me to complete the course.

If you study the psychology of which personality types are best suited to which professions, you will find that skydiver and rigger are on two different pages!
Hee! Hee!

I would much rather have a little old Honduran or Hindu grandmother sewing my new canopy than any skydiver.

Sure, a whuffo can become a rigger without ever making one jump, the military trains thousands of non-jumping riggers every year.

Just a side note, all riggers in the Australian Army are jumpers too.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

I personally do not allow non jumpers to touch my rig,particularly my reserve.

You know the odds are the people who built your rig (canopies, and container) not only were not jumpers, but not riggers either.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I don't know how they train, but you initial qualification will be as a static line jumper.

Then, if you're promoted to CPL or above, you need to be free-fall qualified. How they do this, I have no idea. It could be like the APF static line table, but I have absolulely no idea.

Check out http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/careers_explorer/Army380.html for some job info.
--
Arching is overrated - Marlies

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally do not allow non jumpers to touch my rig,particularly my reserve.

You know the odds are the people who built your rig (canopies, and container) not only were not jumpers, but not riggers either.
Blue Skies, -jp-

Not to mention it's very possible that the people building your equipment don't even know what the finished product looks like (in detail). It doesn't take a bit of skydiving knowledge to be properly certified and safe as a rigger...or gear manufacturer for that matter!

Hee! Hee!
The average skydiver would be shocked to learn that little Maria - who sewed his stabilizers - may be the best stabilizer-sewer on the planet, but she has only the vaguest notion of what a slider looks like and not a clue as to what a slider does.
However, Maria will cheerfully sew stabilizers all year and sew them neater than any skydiver.

Please only use this information as a guide and if you are serious approach the army recruitment people.

My understanding of the Australian Army and its riggers is that they are hired as riggers from the general public. So you do not need to become a digger then work your way into the parachute section. If you were to go in as a digger you may not end up in the parachute section as it is fairly popular, depending on their openings for your rank etc... You do not need to have any previous knowledge about rigging or any skydives under your belt. It is my understanding that not all riggers get resonable amounts of freefall time, as this is not their job. Mind you if you are posted to Nowra you can always jump on the weekends with us civilians :P

http://www.defencejobs.gov.au/default.asp?p=48&j=322

Mind you if anyone knows any different please PM me. Hell if I could get freefall time and get paid for it I would think about giving up my day job. If people PM me things that are drastically different I think we should start a new thread.

There are a few things you can do around the DZ that you will not feel out of place. You can always manifest.

In Australia we have packer ratings and when there are large courses on packers definately are very much needed. Packer B lets you pack mains and Packer A lets you pack reserves. A skydiver without these ratings can pack for themselves and a licensed skydiver (so no student rigs). But what I have read America does not really have packer ratings they have either rigger or normal skydiver.

Rigger appears to be alot more detailed, as they can "carry out repairs and modifications". And manufacture parachute parts.

In the Australian OP Regs I could not find anything that restricts "packer" or "rigger" ratings to only licensed skydivers. Mind you I could have read it wrong, I hate trying to read those sorts of things.

Please let me know how you go, I would love to get my packer ratings and eventually rigger ratings. Mind you I have to get alot more proficient before I even pack for another skydiver.