sasteam

Jet-Man: The Flying Man Project

After Felix Baumgartner flew the english channel with a pair of hard wings strapped to his body (
http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/07/31/channel.skydiver.0930/), Yves Rossy wants to strap wings to his back and a jet to his ass (http://www.yves-rossy.com/en/jetman.php) and fly like the Rocketeer. (Well, OK, not to his ass... but close enough!).

What's up with you crazy skydivers! ;)
Crazy Ivan and the Crew (2005-2006)
Team Insane (2004-2005)
Insane in the Airplane (2003-2004)

I posted the same response over on FlyBirdman.com, but I would just like to say that this series of videos are really cool. They give you a keen insight on what is possible with, not a rigid wing, but a wingsuit. You see, Yves Rossy, in the "Flying Man" video is shown jumping a series of larger and more complex wings. All flights are successful, but that's not the important part to me. The important part is that all of the video is shot by a cameraman flying the SMALLEST size BirdMan (or original Patrick DeGuyardon) wingsuit. That video was shot in 2000. My point is that even with the largest wings he flew in the test, Yves was not outflying that video guy, even though he had a rigid wing on his back and his cameraman was flying a Classic. Think about it. Imagine what quality of video they could have gotten had they had a modern, super-experienced wingsuit pilot in an S3 or equivilent?

Personally, I think the longer Jet Man video is fantastic. The nuts it took Yves to strap that fucker on and jump it out the side of a Porter are remarkable. The exit with folded wings, jet engine start-up procedure and subsequent four minute level flight are fantastic. Every phase of his testing was documented and I never saw him once zoo that side-door exit (unlike Felix, even though he only had to step back off a tailgate).

As to jumping this thing off a Cliff and flying back up to the same launch spot, I think that is very unlikely. The jet engines took 30 seconds to "stabilize" before full power could be added and then they were only able to sustain level flight. Still, the feat was very cool and I was really impressed with the engineering of the wing extension mechanism and the layout of the jets and their required componentry.

Chuck

It will take around 60 pounds of thrust to sustain level flight for an average weight man with an inefficient wing.

Model jet engines are just about the least efficient, most complex, and most expensive way to develop that thrust.

Cool stunt, but not the most practical way to go.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Would a piston engine be light and small enough not to compromise the aerodynamics?

Sure. Why do you think they use them in ultralights, Cessnas, Pipers, and even UAVs like the Predator for the military?

As to jumping this thing off a Cliff and flying back up to the same launch spot, I think that is very unlikely. The jet engines took 30 seconds to "stabilize" before full power could be added.
Chuck

My comment wasn't about the feasability of a rocket man system but rather tongue in cheek question about something like this tarnishing the purity of a wingsuit BASE jump. To some its just hucking, to others its a way of life, away from the smell and noise of turbines and away from those pesky skydivers.:P

...something like this tarnishing the purity of a wingsuit BASE jump.

Actually, I think of this kind of thing as being right in keeping with the spirit of BASE. Have a look at Nick's "Be Franklin" post.

"...in real terms the essence of BASE jumping is leaving behind the common wisdom, to seek out new ideas and to push the bounds of what's acceptable. "
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Cool, I get you drift and I agree, but its going to be really tuff to be stealthy with the noise of two mini-jets sizzling up both sides of the valley.

Actually the small turbines aren't especially noisy. Maybe a bit more noise than a propane torch.

They sure have a prodigious fuel consumption though, because they have a very low thermal efficiency.

Cool, I get you drift and I agree, but its going to be really tuff to be stealthy with the noise of two mini-jets sizzling up both sides of the valley.

Actually the small turbines aren't especially noisy. Maybe a bit more noise than a propane torch.

They sure have a prodigious fuel consumption though, because they have a very low thermal efficiency.

I agree with you on the consumption, but sorry I don't agree with you on the noise level... These turbine are turning at around 130'000 rpm and are VERY noisy...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

As to jumping this thing off a Cliff and flying back up to the same launch spot, I think that is very unlikely. The jet engines took 30 seconds to "stabilize" before full power could be added.
Chuck

but they can be started on the ground before launching...

and edited for Kallend : concerning the piston engines, they might be more efficient, but think about : prop size and wing surface...

Are you sure you could launch such flying object from INSIDE a small plane ???
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Even though a lot of these project sound verry exciting, when I saw felix baumbarter with that wing on his back, and the idea of adding engines and so on I just can't help but wonder..

Why not just put a harnas under a C182 and strap 'a plane on your back'

At what point is the limit in terms of 'having something on your back' and 'hanging from it'?

With wingsuits, the human body still makes up most of the airframe, but a lot of those rigid (be it inflatable) wings have more in common with airplanes then they do with 'human (body)flight'
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

I like your train of thought, and while a back-mounted jet wing would not be legitimate human "body flight" in my opinion either, it might still be fun in its own regard. Probably as close as you'll ever get to being superman. It sounds interesting to me, but it's definitely distinctively different from flying a plane (which I do not have much interest in) and hang-gliding (which I do have some interest in).
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

At what point is the limit in terms of 'having something on your back' and 'hanging from it'?

IMO, I'd say if you can walk on your 2 legs with it on your back, your not hanging from it.

The other would be it having it's own supporting system or landing gear.

-
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com