sasteam

Jet-Man: The Flying Man Project

also, having control of the flight of the said device on your back should be counted

I can't think of any situation where one would jump something on his back that he *didn't* have control of... can you? (exception being rodeo:)
I think the biggest difference is whether or not you control the object with your entire body from head to toe (like a wingsuit) or by rigid controls. Although I'd imagine even with a rigid controlled wing your body position matters...
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

At what point is the limit in terms of 'having something on your back' and 'hanging from it'?

IMO, I'd say if you can walk on your 2 legs with it on your back, your not hanging from it.

The other would be it having it's own supporting system or landing gear.

-

Most hang gliders and some ultralights...

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

have to agree with you, if you want to fly with rigid wings its called a plane. The practicality of people with folded composite wings jumping is just crazy. So yuo ant to take off with your jet pack cool but for what a 4 min very expensive flight where you only need a partial engine failure structural failure to put you in trouble.

I like to rely on gravity and nylon, whilst its great people are pushing these areas, I am more impressed by the evolution of the gravity powered fabric wingsuit over the solid, powered rocketman!

Cool pics though.;)
Dont just talk about it, Do it!

If this idea is successfully developed we won't need the aircraft or the base object.

The base purists and 'nylon only' lovers can keep doing what they like while anyone interested in taking the next step into powered wing-suit flight can do that ..... unless a whole lot of rules are made to restrict us.

Did I hear some-one say IMPOSSIBLE.?

The real design challenge here is to conceive a powered wingsuit that still allows intuitive /instinctive control and remains within reasonable dimensions and cost. If its got solid bits in it to make it work well ..all the better.

If those early birdman had access to modern materials and equipment they really would be doin'it rather than talkin' about it.

Prediction....If a reasonable amount of money was thrown in the right direction this little dream would become a reality.

Hopefully it won't go down in aviation history as a persistent birdman delusion.

Extra weight =4.5kg of motors + 4.5 litrs of kero for 5 minutes of 32kg(~70lb) thrust. = less than 10kg Xtra wait. .

'Jetman' has shown us that it is possible. It just needs to be made a bit more user friendly.

For a ten minute dream you'd need about 9 litres of kero.(at full thrust)

Possible scenario-- exit as normal, fly around for a minute or so start the engines ...go back up...switch off ..flyback down etc etc....unless it was a lander you'd have to open your pairshoot sometime.:ph34r:

You guys started this jet stuff and now it looks like (almost ) any-one can do it even Finnish people:P

Visa Parviainen .... the first person to achieve horizontal flight in a Wingsuit?

How are those landings looking???????

Good on ya Visa .

:)

yes it would be much easier.... but it would cost him another eye to get a tailgate for each time he needs to train ... Tailgates are not easily available in our country, whereas Porters.... Hell, every Swiss has a Porter in his garden :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM