CanuckInUSA

Has the zipper on your suit broken?

The right leg zipper on my somewhat new GTi wingsuit broke this weekend (only 27 jumps on the suit) and I have been told by others that the zippers in use have been known to break. So how many other people have had these sort of problems with their suits? I'm not worried about jumping the suit next weekend (big non-skydiving plans are in the works), but in two weeks another opportunity to do a wingsuit balloon jump will happen. But it's not looking very promising for me to have my suit functional by then. So it's safe to say that I'm a tad dissappointed right now. :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

T I'm not worried about jumping the suit next weekend (big non-skydiving plans are in the works), but in two weeks another opportunity to do a wingsuit balloon jump will happen. But it's not looking very promising for me to have my suit functional by then. So it's safe to say that I'm a tad dissappointed right now. :S

Steve,

I had an arm zipper blow on my GTi last year - simply bought a heavier duty metal zipper from the local sewing-stuff-store and replaced it. If you cannot sew or do not have access to a machine, there must be someone in your local yellow pages who can do the job. As long as they can do a good job with heavier than normal thread, there's no need to send the suit back to Birdman for repair.

All of which means you'll be good-to-go for the balloon jump.

I jumped wingsuit balloon last year - it was a blast!!

Blue Skies,

fergs

The right arm zipper pull tab fell off on my first jump on my S3 last year. Jari had the factory send me 3 or 4 replacement zippers for free.

Sew it on your self, its about 15-20 minutes and you are back in the air.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Sew it on yourself, its about 15-20 minutes and you are back in the air.

I don't think this is very good advice to be giving to someone who has never sewn a stitch, has no idea how to use a sewing machine and all this to a $900 suit which needs to be properly stitched in order to be safely taken into the skies. I know it's my fault for not being a rigger and not knowing how to sew, but what can I say? It's my life on the line and I don't think I should be making modifications to a wingsuit without the proper sewing knowledge.

Therefore, the suit has be sent back for repairs. If this turns out to be a recuring issue (zippers breaking on me), then I guess I will need to find somewhere where I can buy better zippers and then find someone who can replace the zippers for me (or maybe I should spend the time to become a rigger, but there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to be doing this right now).

Steve, No problems with the zippers themselves. Although I've had the pull tabs break on both of my S-3 and my matter suits leg zippers. Now as matter of habit I remove the factory zipper tab and install a tiny metal ring from the hardware store and tie on a small section of pull up cord to both legs of both suits.

Therefore, the suit has be sent back for repairs.

It's a zipper - not a wing. Anybody who knows their way around a sewing machine and clothing can replace a zipper - even on a $900 wingsuit.

If you don't have a rigger locally who can/will do it, pick up your yellow pages. Find a seamstress or tailor. Take the suit to them and ask if they can replace the zipper for you. If they say yes, have them replace it with a heavier duty zipper. Might consider having them replace the other leg zipper too. If they say no they can't do it, call the next one in the book.

Or box it up and send it back to BM. Your choice. I'll bet that taking it to someone local will get you back in the air with it a whole lot faster.

I have replaced all but one main zipper on my old GTi, but then again it has over 500 flights on it. Continual use and abuse by students who "don't quite fit" into the suit and neglect to fully unzip the arms or legs after opening are the main causes of zipper failure.

Chuck

Therefore, the suit has be sent back for repairs. If this turns out to be a recuring issue (zippers breaking on me), then I guess I will need to find somewhere where I can buy better zippers and then find someone who can replace the zippers for me (or maybe I should spend the time to become a rigger, but there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to be doing this right now).

Boulder Outdoor Repair can sell you heavy metal zippers ($2 IIRC) and install them ($20 IIRC).

Your favorite rigger should also be willing to do such repairs.

Boulder Outdoor Repair can sell you heavy metal zippers and install them.

Dang ... where were you on Sunday when my zipper broke? It's not your fault, but this info could have come in handy then. ;) Oh well, I'm sure the repaired zipper will break again at some point and then I can visit the Boulder Outdoor Repair people. ;)

"MAYDAY! MAYDAY!"

"Aircraft calling mayday; This is Longmont Approach; Please identify yourself."

"Longmont Approach; This is Wingsuit Delta-26396."

"Wingsuit Delta-26396; Longmont Approach; State the nature of your emergency."

"Longmont Approach; Wingsuit Delta-26396; I have a blown leg zipper."

"Wingsuit Delta-26396; Longmont Approach; What is your location?"

"Longmont Approach; Wingsuit Delta-26396; About two miles out; Bearing 275."

"Wingsuit Delta-26396; Longmont Approach; You are cleared for straight-in approach to runway 11; Will have fire-rescue standing by."
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

I have had 1 zipper replaced, 4 pull tabs replaced and 1 slide replaced. All this on a (skyflyer that only I have jumped) suit with about 200 jumps on it. I have had the left upper zipper (Chest) seperate 2 times while in flite and 1 leg zipper do the same. Right arm zipper pull tab broke causing me to pull quick release at opening (had to replace slide). I love the suit (have an S-3 on order) but hate the zippers. I hope the new suit has better zippers. I have not abused the suit and have given it lot's of TLC.
If you get 400 jumps out of a suit that equates to about $3 a jump added to the price of a jump.

Parasweep
If you ain't tried it , don't knock it.